Distinction Courses: Interest and discussion on the proposed cancellation of courses (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
simonloo said:
The key difference is that Distinction Courses were only provided for a select number of students. The cream of the crop. You read it right- only about 90 students in the whole of the state participate in a course that costs over 200k to run. From a utilitarian perspective, would it not be better if this 200k was spent allocated for perhaps somethign that would benefit a greater amount of people? Take 10 disadvantaged schools (each with say a student population of 600 each), give them 20k funding each. In my opinion, 5000+ students could benefit as opposed to a mere 100 or so.
Our world is shaped by a small number of people. Small number of talented people contribute more to the world than large number of average people.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
Our world is shaped by a small number of people. Small number of talented people contribute more to the world than large number of average people.
Who knows? You might be decidedly 'average' when judged by others in a Distinction Course. Then you wouldn't be contributing shit in their eyes.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
simonloo said:
Who knows? You might be decidedly 'average' when judged by others in a Distinction Course. Then you wouldn't be contributing shit in their eyes.
Lol, yes. You are entirely right.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
would people want to do the distinction courses if they had to pay for a bit or even all of it?
i probably would

henry08

HSC
N/A
At $3000 each per student, it is simply unaccpetable. I'll email the Daily Telegraph about this waste of public taxpapers money.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Re: Distinction Courses: Interest and discussion on the proposed cancellation of cour

henry08 said:
At $3000 each per student, it is simply unaccpetable. I'll email the Daily Telegraph about this waste of public taxpapers money.
And how much public funds are squandered on a very, very small number of students in the AIS, I wonder? Alot more than $3000 each.

But this is Australia, where elitism in sport (which ultimately benefits nobody but the athletes themselves) is unquestioned but encouraging bright young people who have the potential to discover lots of things that will quite possibly benefit all of us is somehow bad.

I don't get it.

henry08

HSC
N/A
Re: Distinction Courses: Interest and discussion on the proposed cancellation of cour

I am all for education, but if I was in charge, at $3000 a student it is unacceptable and I would certainly scrap this. 300K a year will buy a lot of textbooks and reources which can be utilised by a far greater number of students.

henry08

HSC
N/A

Burn in hell philosophy.
Burn in hell cosmology.
Burn in hell third disitnction couse whose name is not worthy of me knowing it.
BURN IN HELL!!!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

henry08 said:
Burn in hell philosophy.
Burn in hell cosmology.
BURN IN HELL!!!
Now you are going off the thread. If you don't like the idea of people doing Distinction Courses, here is a good news for you: the course will be put to an end by next year or so.

But I really think it's a pity that it needs to come down to this...

Letters

Banned
HSC

lyounamu said:
Now you are going off the thread. If you don't like the idea of people doing Distinction Courses, here is a good news for you: the course will be put to an end by next year or so.

But I really think it's a pity that it needs to come down to this...
Why are they being discontinued? Aren't they receiving enough applications?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Letters said:
Why are they being discontinued? Aren't they receiving enough applications?
They will be discontinued due to lack of funds & support from several different institutions that are involved in this program such as CSU, NSW governments.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A

vulgarfraction said:
You're under the impression that everyone's falling over themselves to apply, but really it's not like that. So many people are turned off by the hard work required. Really all you need is to accelerate a subject, ANY subject, and get a half decent mark.

It's a good program for people who are willing to put in the effort, and definitely rewarding.
I don't really think the fact that not a lot of people try out for the Dist. Courses (I'm not even sure if that's true) was intended in my argument. If anything, the less people who apply for it, for the reasons as quoted by you, 'so many people are turned off by the hard work', should be all the more reason to scrap it. Use the money for things that could benefit a wider range of people.
What we DO know however, is that these courses are highly selective, their student numbers skewed towards selective/private schools who accelerate their students (many accelerants are from these schools) and that's why I think the decision to scrap it was not unfounded.
Philosophy was kinda interesting though.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A

henry08 said:
Burn in hell philosophy.
Burn in hell cosmology.
BURN IN HELL!!!
The third one is called comparative Litterachure.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC

simonloo said:
The third one is called comparative Litterachure.
but its called nothing now

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A

Timothy.Siu said:
but its called nothing now
You do modhist with Devlin? You'll be getting my notes sooner or later. tehy're floating around somewhere.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC

simonloo said:
You do modhist with Devlin? You'll be getting my notes sooner or later. tehy're floating around somewhere.
yeah i do, but apparently we mite not get him next year because he takes the yr 10 accelerants and they're not supposed to take 2 groups to the hsc

blackglitter

HSC
This was just posted on the website
2009 Enrolments and Briefing Day
Applications for enrolment into Cosmology or Philosophy for 2009 will commence at the beginning of term 3 (13 October 2008). More information, including a link to the application form, will be posted here when the Board of Studies makes this available. Unfortunately Comparative Literature will not be offered.
Prospective students, teachers and/or parents should also pencil in Friday 21 November 2008 for the Distinction Course Briefing Day to be held at the University of Sydney main campus. More information, including a registration form, will be available here closer to the date.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC

blackglitter said:
Applications for enrolment into Cosmology or Philosophy for 2009 will commence at the beginning of term 3 (13 October 2008). More information, including a link to the application form, will be posted here when the Board of Studies makes this available. Unfortunately Comparative Literature will not be offered.
Prospective students, teachers and/or parents should also pencil in Friday 21 November 2008 for the Distinction Course Briefing Day to be held at the University of Sydney main campus. More information, including a registration form, will be available here closer to the date.
thanks for the update, very much appreciated

HSC
blackglitter said:
Awesome, thanks. I feel lucky I at least get the chance to apply to cosmo, unlike later years ...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
So three people on BoS applying for cosie?

Great. :)

See ya there boys/girl(s)!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)