Do essays need to sound sophisticated/contain big words to get good marks? (1 Viewer)

Memi

HSC
N/A
Whenever I write an essay for any humanities (English, Modern History etc) I always get comments from the teachers advising that I attempt to sound more sophisticated in my response. I've always gotten the comment that my essays are too simplistic in word choice etc, and I was just wondering whether it is integral for me to use "intelligent" sounding words in my responses?

For English I would understand if that was the case, but history too? o_O

acemusic415

HSC
Yes. Well not extremely flowery that it gets convoluted and loses all meaning, but they want to see some sophistication. History is similar to English, so there's an underlying expectation (well from my experience that is the case).

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Only use the sophisticated and large words if it's natural to you. You look try-hard-y if you suddenly use some random 14 letter word to sound impressive, and then you use colloquialisms and very informal language around it.

theycallmebob

HSC
over the course of yr11 i have started to realise that they mark considerably more on the basis of the content. i have received full marks for essays with good insight and no big words, and when i have tried to write sophisticated essays i usually get mediocre marks, i assume tis is because it takes your mind off what your actually writing.

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
My main aim was to have variations of the phrase "This is demonstrated by" and "also". Maybe start out there?

Memi

HSC
N/A
Yes. Well not extremely flowery that it gets convoluted and loses all meaning, but they want to see some sophistication. History is similar to English, so there's an underlying expectation (well from my experience that is the case).
That's my problem I suppose. I find that when I consciously try to write with sophistication, my thoughts are not clearly conveyed. (It just doesn't come naturally to me)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
That's my problem I suppose. I find that when I consciously try to write with sophistication, my thoughts are not clearly conveyed. (It just doesn't come naturally to me)
Then don't do it. Though try to not use colloquialisms and informal language when writing an essay either.

enoilgam

HSC
Your essay needs to be clear, but it doesnt necessarily have to contain big words. Although, it would probably increase your marks if you write with a degree of sophistication.

Memi

HSC
N/A
Your essay needs to be clear, but it doesnt necessarily have to contain big words. Although, it would probably increase your marks if you write with a degree of sophistication.
Did you ever write with big words? Or just supplement your arguments with relevant details etc?

enoilgam

HSC
Did you ever write with big words? Or just supplement your arguments with relevant details etc?
With essays I always keep it simple. In saying that I do use big words but I make sure that the essay is clear and easy to understand.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
You need to strike an equilibrium between superficiality and the verbose.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Well depends, but for subjects like eco, business or histories I don't think sophisticated words should effect you significantly.

Teachers just want content and using words relevantly all i know :).. However it does make you seem a bit more appealing and professional but make sure you don't overuse your words and sacrifice content.

Well my teachers always write in my feedback that i over-use sophistication since im in standard english :(........ (they want content, and by using sophistication or powerful words it comes at an oppurtunity cost).

theycallmebob

HSC
woah. i wasn't saying there was anything wrong with what you wrote... it was just sophisticated.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Generally, getting your point across is alot more important than trying to add sophisticated words.

Memi

HSC
N/A
What about the introduction? Do you directly restate the question or is it advisable not to?

HSC
Uni Grad
What about the introduction? Do you directly restate the question or is it advisable not to?
try to change it if you can, but make it have the same meaning, because you still HAVE to explicitly answer the question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)