Do most schools have people who leave 40-30 minutes early? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LifeBoats

Wizard.
HSC
You can call bullshit all you like. The fact is that I do know it for a fact as I've heard it from her herself. No there isnt a way for me to prove this, you'd just have to believe it which, based on your reaction, you most likely wont.

She in no way regrets how hard she worked to get where she is at, but she sure as hell regrets not realising that she didnt have to be holed up studying all that time to get there in the process.
Exactly. You can get a 99+ ATAR/ HD without sacrificing the social aspects of your life. And almost everyone I've known, knows this. Therefore your entire argument has just been undermined.

Aaron6693

HSC
yep, I do know this (although not explicitly mentioned by teachers)
but the number of people who leave before the, say 2 hr mark, isn't that huge for subjects I did (MX1,2, phys, chem)

in my hsc, I had to focus for the full time in both phys and chem and I reckon if i had more time, I could have even further improved some of my responses, at least for chem
I agree with you on this. We havnt actually taken into account the fact that different subjects would require different levels of "attention" as such.
Completely agree that subjects like MX1 and MX2 would more than likely require that full time. But I feel you'd have to agree that there are others that are completely opposite to that. Whether you do or not is not up to me obviously.

Aaron6693

HSC
Exactly. You can get a 99+ ATAR/ HD without sacrificing the social aspects of your life. And almost everyone I've known, knows this. Therefore your entire argument has just been undermined.
And thats where you are wrong. You know people who didnt do that, so do I. But the fact stands no doubt that there ARE people who do that. I've been saying this the entire time.

How can you NOT realise that?

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
I agree with you on this. We havnt actually taken into account the fact that different subjects would require different levels of "attention" as such.
Completely agree that subjects like MX1 and MX2 would more than likely require that full time. But I feel you'd have to agree that there are others that are completely opposite to that. Whether you do or not is not up to me obviously.
I just mentioned MX1 & 2 as they are sort of relevant (albeit remotely), but my main point was actually on phys and chem which have similar exam structures to bio

but then I didn't do HSC bio myself so idk how easy/difficult the contents and the questions are usually

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
And thats where you are wrong. You know people who didnt do that, so do I. But the fact stands no doubt that there ARE people who do that. I've been saying this the entire time.

So you're saying that there really isn't any correlation between social lives and academic results? Of course there are going to be people that are antisocial, but they're just as likely to get lower academic results.

deswa1

HSC

I'm not denying that basement's do not exist. I'm also saying that there are a lot of basement's without a 99 ATAR. The attitude that I hate is the generalisation that if you are getting a 99.7 ATAR, then by definition you don't have a social life.

Aaron6693

HSC
I just mentioned MX1 & 2 as they are sort of relevant (albeit remotely), but my main point was actually on phys and chem which have similar exam structures to bio

but then I didn't do HSC bio myself so idk how easy/difficult the contents and the questions are usually
Personally I'd include Chem and Phys in that as well.

Obviously it all depends on natural ability, but Bio for me was easy as memorising facts was crucial, and any of the concepts you actually had to understand were either few and far between, or just simple enough that it didnt take long to understand them. In Chem and Physics there are aspects of it that require strengths, or at least some ability in other skills like maths and whatnot.

Biology on the other hand wasnt like that.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It sounds like everyone is actually arguing the same point.

deswa1

HSC
It sounds like everyone is actually arguing the same point.
Yeah I think so now. I think Soloo's original 'anti-elite' stance and Aaron's 99 ATAR=basement have shifted lol to a recognition that you can do well and be non-basement

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I'm not denying that basement's do not exist. I'm also saying that there are a lot of basement's without a 99 ATAR. The attitude that I hate is the generalisation that if you are getting a 99.7 ATAR, then by definition you don't have a social life.
The majority form a sterotype for all including those in the minority.

Aaron6693

HSC
Wait wait, I think we're debating on something we both agree on...o.0

I'm taking the same stand as you, Im just highlighting both sides of it and saying that there ARE exceptions to both sides..

Aaron6693

HSC
Yeah I think so now. I think Soloo's original 'anti-elite' stance and Aaron's 99 ATAR=basement have shifted lol to a recognition that you can do well and be non-basement
My argument hasnt shifted AT ALL hahaha.

I think you might have missed the point I was making earlier hahaha

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I stand by my original comments. When hiring and you have to cull candidates, I would cull at both the top and bottom academically (i.e. those with brilliant WAMs and those with just passing WAMs).

Aaron6693

HSC
I stand by my original comments. When hiring and you have to cull candidates, I would cull at both the top and bottom academically (i.e. those with brilliant WAMs and those with just passing WAMs).
I agree with this, except I would look into whether those with exceptionally high ATAR's had the social experience necessary to actually be normal around people before deciding they werent fit for the job.

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
I guess we are back where we started lol

barbernator

HSC
you are actually retarded I swear.

LifeBoats

Wizard.
HSC
BUT WHY?! Why would you screw over a person who has just taken the initiative to excel in terms of academics unlike you who has just been mediocre all of your life?! This is complete BS and I hate what you stand for.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Personally I'd include Chem and Phys in that as well.

Obviously it all depends on natural ability, but Bio for me was easy as memorising facts was crucial, and any of the concepts you actually had to understand were either few and far between, or just simple enough that it didnt take long to understand them. In Chem and Physics there are aspects of it that require strengths, or at least some ability in other skills like maths and whatnot.

Biology on the other hand wasnt like that.
fair enough, although bio can be more difficult than that too! Q33 (genetics option)(c)(ii) of 2010 exam seems to be pretty challenging for bio students - but then a very small part of the exam and only for those who did the option
anyway, point taken

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
If we are going to support all these generalisations, why not cull females as well? I mean, they're only going to end up getting pregnant and claiming maternity leave anyway?

Where do you draw the line in this 'cull?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)