Do people expect to manage jobs/year 11? (1 Viewer)

Sammy2011

HSC
Hey guys,

Just wondering, how many people out there hold part time jobs, and will continue to do so into year 11-12? Are you more dedicated to your study, or do you aim to do both?

As for me, I have two part time jobs, so I'm starting to re-think the work load involved with my subjects, homework/assessments, studying and working (let alone sport/fitness)

Sngbrd06

HSC
At the moment I am keeping my job and still doing 2-3 shifts per week, although if it becomes too much I can always cut down.

For year 12, I'll be doing at least one shift a week, I need money and I won't get by without a part-time job.

I am more dedicated to study than my job, but for me, it's necessary to balance both. Hopefully I can.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Depends on the person. Though if you can hold onto a job during year 11, I think it'd be most certainly worthwhile, for the money, but also for the work experience you will gain. However, if it begins to get too much, I'd quit, or negotiate with your boss to work different hours (if your boss is flexible). But all in all, I think working in Year 11 is a worthwhile experience. :)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Yeah it depends. If you're good at time management and don't have too high a workload you should be fine ie most people will be fine :)

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
It's fine to have a job, I'm in year 12 and I've had one since year 9.
Just look at it like an extra-curricular activity. People don't give those up for year 12, not unless they have a ridiculous amount, so don't give up your job.

I work 1-2 shifts a week.

Sammy2011

HSC
Thanks guys,

Yes, between my two jobs I work around 4 shifts a week, some going into 8 hours. I hope to maintain it for the distraction/work experience, but if it becomes too much, I will cut down.

speedofsound

HSC
i think having a job is DEFINITELY worth it, even during senior years. earn some money, gain some skills in the process of doing your HSC. i personally think it's more beneficial to have a job than not have a job during senior years (unless you're being overworked like crazy). having a job kind of FORCES you to get work done because you mentally know you have less hours to get stuff done. thus, you procrastinate less. :) and i had a job for about 1/3-1/2 of year 11 and still have it now. hope that helps. :)

oh and fyi i do about 8-10ish hours a week? it's not much, but it eats into a bit of my weekend and after school. :)

s0phhhhx

HSC
heyy,
Im in year 11 too
i talked to my manager and she was cool with it
i told her i wanted only 1 shift a week - and not 8 hour shifts ==

so i came down to around 1 shift a week for around 3 hrs
- which is what i wanted :D

madsam

God among men
HSC
i started work late year 9, did about 15-20 hours a week until year 11, where i was cut back to 10-12 (slightly more expensive :() but kept that through year 11 an 12, only not working during/slightly before major exams

Working at the checkout of woolies, not difficult at all, just boring mostly

So its definitely possible and i'd recommend it, it helps you manage your time significantly better and $100 a week goes a long way, espec if you have a car and plan to move out after HSC

Tofuu

HSC
most of the yr 12's in my school quit their jobs
some are finding
some work but only very few hours a week

Eightyseven87

HSC
My school DUX (99.95er) did 16 units - wasn't able to do all of them in school so she ended up doing Saturday school for one of her units AND had a part time job (she had to support herself - she was an international student) AND she came first in all her subjects. Now that's what you call awesome time management lol. She's very inspiring.

BiancaMaree

HSC
Im in year 11 this year; and i had a part time job on weekends, as well as doin an hour swimmin every afternoon & gym on wednesday nights. it all depends on how dedicated you are pretty much

Hayzazz

Pig Member
HSC
My school DUX (99.95er) did 16 units - wasn't able to do all of them in school so she ended up doing Saturday school for one of her units AND had a part time job (she had to support herself - she was an international student) AND she came first in all her subjects. Now that's what you call awesome time management lol. She's very inspiring.
OMFG! What a freaking pro! Wish I was as dedicated as her :(

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
my school's dux got a perfect score in the IB 45/45 which is converted to 99.95 (something like 30 students worldwide each year get a perfect score), did lots of co-curricular activities, was a really nice guy, he just worked hard and managed his time really well.

red-butterfly

HSC
I worked 1 - 2 shifts a week throughout my yr 11/ yr 12 and more during the holidays. But i obviously i took time off during exam time.

You just need to learn how to manage your time effectively

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)