Do they ask you prelim stuff in the HSC exam? (1 Viewer)

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
Or does it depend on a particular subject??

Well I know for maths it links with the prelim stuff. Mainly ask for Chem, will they ask questions from prelim?
Is there any need to revise prelim chem stuff?

Of course I know the fundamental stuff of chem, can't learn hsc Chem without the basics right?
Just wondering if I will be tested on some details such as the electron arrangement of water, the bent structure, and explain electronegativity trend across

I know it's a stupid question right
But still thank you in advance

Last edited:

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Not directly but most subs have their HSC courses building on from their prelim courses.

Learning the HSC course to it's full extent without sufficient prelim knowledge would be frustrating/very hard.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
In maths they do. I think its up to like 30% or something can be questions from prelim topics.
For other subjects, especially the sciences, they won't ask you directly but knowledge from prelim certainly helps and could inadvertently end up being used in an answer.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I would like to demonstrate this with a perfect example.

Since you don't do Physics, I will have to show you an obvious Mathematical example.

In a nutshell I have seen sneaky examiners combine questions involving Prelim + HSC concepts to see who has been rote learning/not paying detailed attention.

Last edited:

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Maths, they do. I never bothered to distinguish between Prelim and HSC topics for Maths (I accelerated 2U and, as a result, I learnt most of 3U in Year 12. 4U is only taught in Year 12).
They don't normally do exclusively Prelim questions, but the last question in the 2010 Phys HSC had pure prelim in it...

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
But I stress there are some questions I have seen that you need detailed Preliminary knowledge, concepts and method to do. I will find one later.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Are you talking about Maths?
Even in some sciences. I have seen school's combine Preliminary topics and stick it into HSC questions.

For examples Physics, of course you would need to understand electricity to do motors and generators. They also test your ability to distinguish and assess validity, reliability, accuracy which I believe schools teach during Preliminary. There was one question on solely validity in past HSC papers I think. Not too sure.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Occurs many times in the Maths HSC.

This is because it doesn't follow a set syllabus.

ie: My school did 3D trig and Perms/combs at the beginning of 3U Year 11

Perms/combs is asked in every HSC exam (sometimes even 4U too), and most schools do it in Year 12.

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
I would like to demonstrate this with a perfect example.

Since you don't do Physics, I will have to show you an obvious Mathematical example.

In a nutshell I have seen sneaky examiners combine questions involving Prelim + HSC concepts to see who has been rote learning/not paying detailed attention.
Thanks for noticing I don't do physics haha good memory!

But I stress there are some questions I have seen that you need detailed Preliminary knowledge, concepts and method to do. I will find one later.
Well I know for maths it links with the prelim stuff. Mainly ask for Chem, will they ask questions from prelim?

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Humanities- Assumed knowledge or prelim stuff is prerequisites really.

Maths- YES!! ofc it's tested... Especially in 2u maths.

English- Lol... pretty self explanatory...

nightweaver066

HSC
Thanks for noticing I don't do physics haha good memory!

From preliminary chemistry, you will need your knowledge on intermolecular bonds (dispersion, hydrogen and dipole-dipole) and moles (VERY important). Don't know what else yet because i haven't finished the course.

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
From preliminary chemistry, you will need your knowledge on intermolecular bonds (dispersion, hydrogen and dipole-dipole) and moles (VERY important). Don't know what else yet because i haven't finished the course.
Thank you!
Of course I know these fundamental stuff, can't learn hsc Chem without the basics right?
Just wondering if I will be tested on some details such as the electron arrangement of water, the bent structure, and explain electronegativity trend across period and stuff like that???

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
explain electronegativity trend across period and stuff like that???
They won't ask you directly, but they may ask questions like "Explain why *some random occurrence* happens when *something is done*"

And the reasoning behind is because of a trend in the periodic table.

delian

HSC
N/A
There is a lot of content in HSC course that can be tested, so it is less likely they'll test Prelim content.

Having said that, it's a good idea to make sure you have a thorough understanding of Prelim course.

avro

HSC
what about SOR
You need Prelim stuff for your depth studies. The HSC course for SOR builds on the fundamental knowledge that is learnt in Prelim. Examples include when studying ethics (sexual, environmental, biological), you can't accurately understand their beliefs unless you've studied the principle beliefs, core ethical beliefs, and sacred texts and writings, all of which are exclusively taught in Prelim. Sometimes the HSC paper extended response question incorporates Prelim knowledge, such as the 2011 HSC Islam question:
"Some religions emphasise justice, while others emphasise compassion. Discuss the statement in relation to Islam as a living religious tradition. Prelim teaches what a living religious tradition is. Even to an extent, prelim knowledge benefits the multiple choice, too.

Bobbo1

HSC
In maths they do. I think its up to like 30% or something can be questions from prelim topics.
For other subjects, especially the sciences, they won't ask you directly but knowledge from prelim certainly helps and could inadvertently end up being used in an answer.
Yep, depending on how your school teaches maths - they might teach all of 2 unit first then 3 unit in which case your prelim stuff will be in the HSC exams. For others subjects its more just assumed knowledge and can indirectly test your on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)