Do they do this aligning thing as well for EX2? (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I know for other subjects the BoS does the aligning thing, where they take the internal marks, map the differences between marks - and then mark all the external works, pin the top internal mark and the top external mark and then distribute down via a graph thing.

But do they also do this for EX2? Or do they mark it individually so student 20624530's major work is marked and attached to the internal mark of the same person.

If they do the aligning thing... isn't a bit unfair? I mean, the work is marked internally as a process, and externally as a product. So if my preparation and research was top notch and got 1st internally because of it, but my writing was so horrible it would be ranked last - I would be 'stealing' another person's mark whose research was still good, but his/her writing was just brilliant...

ptrgrgry

HSC
Yes, they still allign English Ext. 2 with internal and external, and many kids winge about it every year. However, around 50% of your internal should be a draft of the major work and reflection statement anyway - so the absolute inept writers (yet try-hards when it comes to research) will not be able to completely 'steal' your marks.

tku336

HSC
They align. Someone in our year got 46 internal and 50 external.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Oh that's nice... well, thanks for your help!

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
Wait, isn't the marking system different this year? Our school marks a "draft" of our finished project this year, just like the HSC markers do. So this time, we get marked on our progress and our actual work by the school, right?

My teacher said that a lot of teachers in other schools don't feel like they're qualified to actually give a mark to someone's draft work =/ I'm quite worried about it, I was hoping I would only have to face the subjectivity of markers during the actual HSC marking =/

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I haven't heard about that - so I assume not.

accio.brain

HSC
Board of Studies News: Official Notice - Internal assessment and the HSC examination in English Extension 2 from 2010
yeah they changed the assessment/marking thing for all you 2010ers (link above). they've dropped the proposal (or combined it with the viva or something or other) and making your teachers mark a draft of your actual MW instead. i think this is stupid though, because it's such a subjective thing and some teachers would just have no idea with marking an actual work... i'm wondering why some of you didn't know about the change though...?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
They dropped the Proposal? What?! I had to do one of those...

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Board of Studies News: Official Notice - Internal assessment and the HSC examination in English Extension 2 from 2010
yeah they changed the assessment/marking thing for all you 2010ers (link above). they've dropped the proposal (or combined it with the viva or something or other) and making your teachers mark a draft of your actual MW instead. i think this is stupid though, because it's such a subjective thing and some teachers would just have no idea with marking an actual work... i'm wondering why some of you didn't know about the change though...?
Why do you think that the teachers who take you through the process wouldn't be able to mark it?

The marking guidelines will be released and they only have to apply that.

Most importantly - so long as the teacher/s at your school are consistent then the external marking will moderate the marks anyway.

I also suspect that the ETA will be running a number of Inservice courses/sessions for teachers who have concerns and many schools do have access to a marker anyway - either at their school or at a school where their English staff knows someone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)