Do year 11 ranks usually correlate? (1 Viewer)

Triage

HSC
N/A
I started year 11 this year and the whole HSC thing is dawning on me now, and frankly, my ranks are doing spectacularly this year. My question is, in general, do ranks from year 11 correlate to ranks n year 12? Essentially, is success in the prelim course, ultimately indicative of potential success in the HSC course?

enoilgam

HSC
It depends. At my High School, most of the people who worked hard and were at the top in Year 11 were also at the top in Year 12. However, there are a few who come out of nowhere in Year 12. Also, there are others who drop off either because they lose motivation or because they were lazy up until Year 12 and couldnt handle the HSC workload.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Generally yes but not for everyone.

I've experienced this myself.

Year 11 was pretty much my 'peak' academic year in HS.

Now in Year 12, I'm still performing usually well but nowhere near as good as back then. (I set the bar so high in year 11 though so yeah...)

Not to mention I was more consistent in year 11.

But then again, a factor that comes into play here... is 'competition'. People start trying.... then you MAY fall in ranks...

You might be studying hard still like you did in year 11 but everyone else starts doing it too.... then yeah...

Triage

HSC
N/A
I don't study too hard, but competition is really beginning to motivate me. I sometimes wonder whether I actually want a good atar for the utility of it, or just to stand on stage and say "I'm No. 1"

Live

HSC
No, absolutely not. I was ranked either last or second last in all of my prelim subjects last year. But this year i'm starting to "try" I guess

now, so far at least, i'm ranked top 15% in most of my subjects. I started to document my year this year, you can check it out here http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=302541

Live

HSC
in conclusion, your past only affects you if you let it

Dr Awkward

HSC
N/A
Nope, not always. I failed Maths Extension 1 and got 30% overall and ranked 30/30 in prelim. This was an eye opener and got 95% in my first hsc school test and now i'm ranked 2/30. Fuck prelim, hsc w/e. You study well, you'll get the marks.

madharris

HSC
N/A
No! :p (thank god)

My ranks were shit in year 11!, I didn't study and I failed so many assessments - I used this as a wake up call, actually picked up a book and actually did well in my HSC

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Lol.

No.

My ATAR estimate at the end of Year 11 was 93.7ish, and I came 189th in English.

starshine02

HSC
Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. I think it really depends on how many people suddenly work harder for yr12 but I think most the time those people start working harder in preliminary too. For me I think I'm doing slightly better in some subjects and slight worse in others so I think it only correlates a bit

eileend

HSC
my rank for 2U maths in prelim was 45/44 in the hsc it was 1/44
rank for 3U in prelim was 7/8 during yr 12 it was 2/8

bludged year 11 cose i was too lazy to study... since ranks didnt really matter

deswa1

HSC
It depends. For mine they linked up almost exactly the same. You'll notice that the very top people tend to stay very top. There will however be a few people that suddenly start trying and do really well. For you, you're doing well in year 11- that implies ability and effort- you won't lose that in yr 12

BlugyBlug

HSC
Not really.

In my experience (School rank about 15-20ish?), I bludged through year 11, barely studied, ended up topping physics and 2nd in chem and bio. Probably because no one else really cared at that point.

Then Year 12 comes around, everyone actually starts to try, and although it's only half yearlies atm, my ranks fell.
Also, the type of content differs a lot. Especially for chemistry, year 12 exams (at my school anyway) tend to be a lot more wordy with extended response 7mk questions everywhere, because the exams sat are almost twice as long as year 11 exams.

Exception to this is Maths, IMO. If you're naturally good at math it'll carry over to year 12.

tl;dr shit gets real because of competitiveness.

Triage

HSC
N/A
Something else I have wondered, will your school rank impact your atar. My school is ranked 20-35, does tht mean it is easier for me to do well?

Fawun

Queen
HSC
Stop, we all know you're doing better than what you say.
uhhhh i failed (not asian failed) my assessment

i have no idea how you're coming to the conclusion that i'm doing well besides that eco mark

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I failed 3u math in both years 11 and 12. It didn't stop me from going to university and undertaking advanced mathematics courses and achieving what I wants to.

High school is just a small stepping store in your life. If you don't do as well as you wanted to then that is okay as there are lots of other pathways in life.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Something else I have wondered, will your school rank impact your atar. My school is ranked 20-35, does tht mean it is easier for me to do well?
No, it shouldn't make it 'easier' to do well if you go to a well ranked school. It's mostly mentioned here as 5/20 in a top 20 is better than the same rank at a comprehensive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)