Banned
HSC
Re: Do you believe is God?

i can continue etc

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad

I used to believe in God when I was very young and idealistic. I dunno if I still do. Kind of not really. Not in the conventional sense. More like in a Romanticism sense, if anything at all. I don't really follow the Bible or whatever; I don't think people should judge God via the Bible, just like people shouldn't judge people via what other people say that other people have said about you. I've read bits of it and it just seems stupid to me that people can go and claim that their words are from God or something. If God wanted to publish a book he would, I don't think he would want a bunch of (mostly) fanatics trying to interpret what he 'says' to them. I dunno. The Bible is kinda like a biography to me... who knows if some of it or all of it is exaggerated or whatever. If I was k-pop star I sure wouldn't want a bunch of my fangirls to be writing a book about me over centuries of time.

So yeah, I dunno anymore. I tend to have in and out phases, but if I think about it really deeply I tend to be more 'atheist'. I suppose I'm agnostic overall.

But I understand people who are more like 'We preach unity and love and we do so through our religion' rather than 'OMG GOD IS MY LIFE!!! GOD MADE YOU AND ME AND THIS PRETTY FLOWER, SO HE OBVIOUSLY EXISTS. GOD FOREVER <3' -> don't tell me people like this don't exist because I've met people like this, not excluding our own school chaplain -__-

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad

p.s. tv evangelists are fucking ridiculous

Garygaz

HSC

hey miggles,

why do you believe in god? ask yourself why is it exactly you can believe in a god just because you read it in a book yet you can't bring yourself to believe in a muslim god or a jewish god?

also ask yourself 'why would a powerful entity want to make humans?' because the answer makes no sense. if he was all knowing and all wise, knows our thoughts and knows the future, then free-will is simply an illusion. he would have known the consequences of giving humans free will, such as hitler committing genocide, pedophiles raping children, nations starving to death etc etc. does he do it for his own personal pleasure? the fact that he can see a few actions of goodness will make him feel good whilst ignoring the harsh reality of our world?

also, do you believe that women are really just the biproduct of men's ribs and that we are sinful because of a talking snake?

please reply. pleaseplease

boris

Banned
HSC

hey miggles,

why do you believe in god? ask yourself why is it exactly you can believe in a god just because you read it in a book yet you can't bring yourself to believe in a muslim god or a jewish god?

also ask yourself 'why would a powerful entity want to make humans?' because the answer makes no sense. if he was all knowing and all wise, knows our thoughts and knows the future, then free-will is simply an illusion. he would have known the consequences of giving humans free will, such as hitler committing genocide, pedophiles raping children, nations starving to death etc etc. does he do it for his own personal pleasure? the fact that he can see a few actions of goodness will make him feel good whilst ignoring the harsh reality of our world?

also, do you believe that women are really just the biproduct of men's ribs and that we are sinful because of a talking snake?

banking on her never posting again
sigh

therealmiggles

HSC

lots of people have pay tv

you asked for a religious show and i gave you a whole channel

3:30am int he morning, 'This is your day, with Benny Hinn' channel ten
4:30am 'Life today with James Robinson' channel ten

See the times they are aired at? That should allude to something, and that 'something' you should figure out for yourself.
All I'm saying is that many of the views Australians have on religion are tainted by the lack of media attention and things of such. If atheism is rising in our society it's not because God doesn't exhist, it's because people are ignorant to the nature of God or Allah or Yaweh.
Like Nietzsche said 'God is dead and we have killed him.'
You guys have made clear the first part, that in our society God is dead to many people because they can't see him and ask 'how could he allow suffering?'. But that's then again, who killed him?
I think the ignorance people live in about religion or God is what has killed him, and you guys are part of that too.

P.S I don't have pay TV, and A LOT of my friends don't have pay tv

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

Ignorance perpetuated god, not killed

boris

Banned
HSC

See the times they are aired at? That should allude to something, and that 'something' you should figure out for yourself.
All I'm saying is that many of the views Australians have on religion are tainted by the lack of media attention and things of such. If atheism is rising in our society it's not because God doesn't exhist, it's because people are ignorant to the nature of God or Allah or Yaweh.
Like Nietzsche said 'God is dead and we have killed him.'
You guys have made clear the first part, that in our society God is dead to many people because they can't see him and ask 'how could he allow suffering?'. But that's then again, who killed him?
I think the ignorance people live in about religion or God is what has killed him, and you guys are part of that too.

P.S I don't have pay TV, and A LOT of my friends don't have pay tv
yeah the fact that they are on at 3:30am means that no one wants to watch religious television shows

the market works

boris

Banned
HSC

why do people need the media to tell us about religion, isnt that religion's business?
should we have religious programming forced upon us on free to air television?

please, enlighten me to the nature of god or allah (pbuh) or yaweh

god is dead because he no longer fulfils his purpose. are suggesting is that religion should be forced upon the population?

p.s if you and your friends want to watch religious tv then you have the option of buying pay tv. (the market works)

therealmiggles

HSC

hey miggles,

Why do I believe in God?
That's a pretty personalquestion don't you think?
1) Humansa haven't ALWAYS been aweful human beings. And people always focus on the awefulness of human beings but we can be pretty good too.
2) Free will, is freedom. It's the freedom to sin, which we all have, but it's also the freedom to ask and get frogiveness for those sins.
3) Nietzsche also said 'If God exists and does not helpthose who suffer then he is a monster; and if he cannot help them, he is not God, he does not exist'. I like looking at people like Nietzsche and Satre and Kant, people who want proof of the existence of God because don't think I haven't wanted to know for sure as well.
I was born into a Christian family; Church on Sunday and all that jazz. I guess I started my questioning when I was about 11 and was abused, an event which has makes me suffer everyday.
And it's true, how can God, who is powerful and all allow suffering? This year I watched the death of my brother happen before my eyes and that question came up again. So how can I believe in God, who allows suffering?
I believe in God because he gave me life, and allows me the freedom to reject him which is more than anyone can promise me. My parents, my friends, my boyfriend, when I reject them take a long time to forgive me, if they ever do.
But God forgives me, and that is all I need to know. Unconditional love, something that no parent or friend or boyfriend has ever been able to give to me. And let's not forget that it was the same sinfullness that God created that killed his son (who's existence has actually been proven). We rejcted him. I reject him. But he rose from the dead and that is a pretty powerful gift. If you don't believe in the ressurrection, take it as literature. What does the resurrection mean? It means that Jesus spat in the face of death, of suffering. That's how our freedom is guaranteed. We don't have to suffer, we don't have to sin because Jesus made sure that no one would ever have to die for their sins, because he did that for us.
Of course, the Genesis and Exodus are stories, I don't take them literally. I take them as literature, and that is how they resonate in me.
But then again, this is me, it's not you. If you don't want to believe it's your choice.

Last edited:

boris

Banned
HSC

Why do I believe in God?
That's a pretty personalquestion don't you think?
1) Humansa haven't ALWAYS been aweful human beings. And people always focus on the awefulness of human beings but we can be pretty good too.
2) Free will, is freedom. It's the freedom to sin, which we all have, but it's also the freedom to ask and get frogiveness for those sins.
3) Nietzsche also said 'If God exists and does not helpthose who suffer then he is a monster; and if he cannot help them, he is not God, he does not exist'. I like looking at people like Nietzsche and Satre and Kant, people who want proof of the existence of God because don't think I haven't wanted to know for sure as well.
I was born into a Christian family; Church on Sunday and all that jazz. I guess I started my questioning when I was about 11 and was abused, an event which has makes me suffer everyday.
And it's true, how can God, who is powerful and all allow suffering? This year I watched the death of my brother happen before my eyes and that question came up again. So how can I believe in God, who allows suffering?
I believe in God because he gave me life, and allows me the freedom to reject him which is more than anyone can promise me. My parents, my friends, my boyfriend, when I reject them take a long time to forgive me, if they ever do.
But God forgives me, and that is all I need to know. Unconditional love, something that no parent or friend or boyfriend has ever been able to give to me. And let's not forget that it was the same sinfullness that God created that killed his son (who's existence has actually been proven). We rejcted him. I reject him. But he rose from the dead and that is a pretty powerful gift. If you don't believe in the ressurrection, take it as literature. What does the resurrection mean? It means that Jesus spat in the face of death, of suffering. That's how our freedom is guaranteed. We don't have to suffer, we don't have to sin because Jesus made sure that no one would ever have to die for their sins, because he did that for us.
Of course, the Genesis and Exodus are stories, I don't take them literally. I take them as literature, and that is how they resonate in me.
But then again, this is me, it's not you. If you don't want to believe it's your choice.
no he didnt

boris

Banned
HSC

i dont even understand what those 3 points were addressing

he didnt ask you if people are awful or what free will is or what some philosophers thought (#3 doesnt address anything you are just stating that Nietzsche et al question the existence of god)

are you a moron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)