Do you believe in God? (1 Viewer)

Do you believe in God?

• Total voters

smeethaj

HSC
Re: Do you believe is God?

the problem is that religion affects everybody, mostly in a negative way
ah see
your problem isnt religion and the existance/nonexistance of god. your problem is the negative effect a religious persons perspectives have on the world around them. this is a very understandable setiment. i agree alot of the time a persons religious perspectives does affect others outside themselves, and that this is what is wrong and shouldnt occur. yet it still does, and its idealistic of me to just hope it will miraculously change, as much as i wish would. but proving to an individual that god doesnt exist isnt going to change anything either. this is basically a never ending cycle that, as long as the human ego exists, will not change.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

this is basically a never ending cycle that, as long as the human ego exists, will not change.
that's a very bold claim. what evidence have you for it?

smeethaj

HSC

that's a very bold claim. what evidence have you for it?
"Why prove to a man he is wrong? Is that going to make him like you? Why not let him save face? He didn't ask for your opinion. He didn't want it. Why argue with him? You can't win an argument, because if you lose, you lose it; and if you win it, you lose it. Why? You will feel fine. But what about him? You have made him feel inferior, you hurt his pride, insult his intelligence, his judgment, and his self-respect, and he'll resent your triumph. That will make him strike back, but it will never make him want to change his mind. A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still. " - Dale Carnegie

you cannot make an individual believe somthing they do not want to believe out of their own free will. The human ego will not allow it.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A

"Why prove to a man he is wrong? Is that going to make him like you? Why not let him save face? He didn't ask for your opinion. He didn't want it. Why argue with him? You can't win an argument, because if you lose, you lose it; and if you win it, you lose it. Why? You will feel fine. But what about him? You have made him feel inferior, you hurt his pride, insult his intelligence, his judgment, and his self-respect, and he'll resent your triumph. That will make him strike back, but it will never make him want to change his mind. A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still. " - Dale Carnegie

you cannot make an individual believe somthing they do not want to believe out of their own free will. The human ego will not allow it.
wrong, I have dismantled and rebuilt many peoples beliefs. Its all about soul crushing and 'advanced interrogation techniques'

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad

wrong, I have dismantled and rebuilt many peoples beliefs. Its all about soul crushing and 'advanced interrogation techniques'
Just because you defeat someone in an argument it does not mean you change their opinion or beliefs.

When Darwin came around the beliefs of many were dismantled, however it did not change their beliefs. If we wish to believe someone, no one can change our opinion, but ourselves.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A

Just because you defeat someone in an argument it does not mean you change their opinion or beliefs.

When Darwin came around the beliefs of many were dismantled, however it did not change their beliefs. If we wish to believe someone, no one can change our opinion, but ourselves.
these were people i knew and saw every now and again, they have thanked me for the service i did for them, "thanx mate idk what I was thinking"

smeethaj

HSC

these were people i knew and saw every now and again, they have thanked me for the service i did for them, "thanx mate idk what I was thinking"
he's not saying its not possible to influence someone to believe somthing. when you change a persons beliefs it has to do with the fact they most probably wern't that firm in what they believed to begin with. what you have done is rather prove further to them why their beliefs are wrong and validate why yours are correct. but you wouldnt have been able to achieve that if they didnt on some level have some questioning of their own beliefs.
i think what alstah is trying to say is that, when a person is stuck fast to their beliefs without any level of questioning then you cant change that nomatter how logical your argument is compative to theirs.

scuba_steve2121

On The Road To Serfdom
HSC
N/A

he's not saying its not possible to influence someone to believe somthing. when you change a persons beliefs it has to do with the fact they most probably wern't that firm in what they believed to begin with. what you have done is rather prove further to them why their beliefs are wrong and validate why yours are correct. but you wouldnt have been able to achieve that if they didnt on some level have some questioning of their own beliefs.
i think what alstah is trying to say is that, when a person is stuck fast to their beliefs without any level of questioning then you cant change that nomatter how logical your argument is compative to theirs.
sure u can, stick a gun to their head and see how fast their beliefs change

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

sure u can, stick a gun to their head and see how fast their beliefs change
Less successful than you think unfortunately. However many thousands of people have been tortured and killed over not renouncing/changing their beliefs.

RANK 1

HSC

Less successful than you think unfortunately. However many thousands of people have been tortured and killed over not renouncing/changing their beliefs.
they should try new torture techniques, such as this

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

smeethaj you seem more like a nihilist than an apatheist, maybe because you're a teenager. however, the 'ego' is far more sophisticated than you make it out to be. regardless, the whole point about observing and questioning belief is not necessarily whether it is the truth or not, but what the effects are of holding it to be so (truth effects). see the following.

"Michigan's state Senate has passed an anti-bullying law which contains a GOP mandated exemption for bullying which has a "religious or moral basis."

Last edited:

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

if god existed this wouldn't be a great song

HSC

somebody get dawkins on the horn then and tell him he was wrong the entire time

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

jinjos don't have a soul

HSC

nobody has a soul because souls do not exist

we all return to the soil of spiral mountain after we pass

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)