Do you find yourself naturally smart? (1 Viewer)

Valo

HSC
yeah those "determined" people who did that shit in like year 7,8,9,10 to get somewhere, are missing out. They won't have the knowledge being a kid brings. Therefore we are better than them.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
I generally find myself to be of a reasonable natural intelligence. Nothing very special, just quite obviously above average. I'm not of the opinion that one needs to have genius intelligence to excel or even be at the very top of their chosen field. There really is so much hard-work in most things.

However, I'm quite the dunce in maths and sciences. Not that I don't have above-average natural ability, just not "smart" at it.

Sandez

Hay Guys
HSC
I do indeed find myself naturally smart.

Because I have a large vocabulary/general knowledge, I'm usually the one answering most of the questions in class.

I barely study though, and still get through with 80s, except in Bio. I find going out with friends/girlfriend more stimulating than staring at words for hours anyway. :D

s2indie

HSC
i am so NOT naturally smart.
nor smart either.
anyway off to do my assessments

Clarebare

HSC
I used never to study or do homework or anything. Completely relied on what I managed to pick up in class and general knowledge, most of junior and preliminary schoolwork is pretty straightfoward anyway. I put effort into assignments and in class assessments though, so my marks and reports and stuff have always been quite good, even though a lot of teachers told me to start a study habit.

Now I'm in yr 12 I'm slowly starting to discover that you can't just get away with relying completely on natural intelligence. This has been a big shock for me cause I've been doing that since I started primary school.

I still don't really study, at least not in the conventional sense - I do make notes, but I don't set aside time every night to study them. What I try to do instead is try to make sure that I've fully absorbed what we were taught in class, and that I'm finishing all homework and essays set. I also make sure that I have a syllabus doco for each subject, and when I make notes, it's under syllabus dot-points so that I'm not learning a whole lot of info that I don't need (even if the stuff you don't need is way more interesting)

I think a lot of people who are naturally very smart are at a bit of a disadvantage, cause they often take their intelligence for granted and use it as an excuse to slack off and not do much work. Then when the hsc rolls around they realise that they've been idiots and then they PANIC. This has happened to a lot of people I know, but it is just a personal opinion.

Basically I think that no matter how smart you are everyone needs to work hard to get the mark they want in the hsc. Having said that, acing the hsc isn't required to live a happy life.

Clarebare

HSC
Bookie said:
oh I do love you, but you gotta get with the times honey, its James from Optus these days.
Why the switch? Telstra not appreciating your "natural" abilities? (Optus phone sex has that extra edge of excitement, dontcha think?)

To keep this close to the topic, no matter how smart you are, do your schoolwork, buy a lot of no-doz tablets and you'll be fiiiiiiiine.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Clarebare said:
Why the switch? Telstra not appreciating your "natural" abilities? (Optus phone sex has that extra edge of excitement, dontcha think?)

To keep this close to the topic, no matter how smart you are, do your schoolwork, buy a lot of no-doz tablets and you'll be fiiiiiiiine.
no-doz tablets .. u mean caffeine tablet? lol. water instead!!

and 'fine' won't cut it for me!!

X

xeuyrawp

The closest thing to being naturally smart is having a good start in life; ie parents who expose you to a balanced amount of intellectual stimuli.

Sandez

Hay Guys
HSC
Clarebare said:
I used never to study or do homework or anything. Completely relied on what I managed to pick up in class and general knowledge, most of junior and preliminary schoolwork is pretty straightfoward anyway. I put effort into assignments and in class assessments though, so my marks and reports and stuff have always been quite good, even though a lot of teachers told me to start a study habit.
Indeed, that's what I did as well. And yeah, I've been affected in the same way that you have...but I'm glad I discovered yoga as a way of freeing my mind. :D

Nat_nat

Naturally smart - sometimes...

Study smart - yes
Determined - yes
And Shinji, like u i find ppl measure themselves to me...silly ppl ><

taki999

HSC
race has nothing to do with being smart...hands down!!! we've had asians that pk in their hsc..30ish UAI..and yet we had some dumbases who failed in yr 11 or was it yr 12 term 1 exams getting in the 40s and still getting 95UAI when doing all 2u subjects including dropping from 3u maths to general...
Another person i know in my school got 93 UAI and also dropped from 3u to 2u maths...

what im trying to say is being smart will only get you half way there....

DERRICKISVIET

HSC
i dont think im naturally smart, but it seems some people do

i do find myself passing tests though, im doing my hsc this year, and i know its going to bite me in the ass.. but ive only studied for one assessment the whole year, and it was only for 2 hours. havent dont homework either, but i manage to get by the exams :\

im planning on studying for the half yearlies coming up next week though.. although i dont really know how to study, haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)