do you get bribed to do well at school? (1 Viewer)

dp624

HSC
simmowrites said:
I have never been bribed when it comes to education. My parents have taught me that it is a priveledge, not a right. I have seen the effects of what not having an education can do. Thats motivation enough for me ;)
Considering everything, you could get like a UAI of 60-80 (this is without study) and still be enormously successful in life.

simmowrites

HSC
dp624 said:
Considering everything, you could get like a UAI of 60-80 (this is without study) and still be enormously successful in life.
Thats true. I was mainly referring to friends I know who didn't make it to grade 8 basically(they are now in their 20's). They are the most amazing people you could ever wanna meet, but have had to work so much harder in life and have encountered many more struggles than possibly someone who has a HSC, or even a school certificate (I'm not saying they haven't worked hard or struggled). Both my parents left school at 12, grew up in very poor families and have had to work extremely hard even for the smallest luxuries in life.

I probably should have been more specific. And each person has their own definition of success. I would consider the people I mentioned to be extremely successful, not so much because of what they have achieved, but what they have overcame to achieve it.

Anywho, this is getting a little long-winded. My point is, those that are "educated" (again, each person has their own definition of educated) may not necessarily have to struggle as hard for what they want as opposed to someone is isnt educated.

eriito

Elite Member
HSC
i like to think that i dont need to be bribed. however recently i've been thinking bribes might help

MrDimple

HSC
my motivation is that i wanna be successful, but bribes can help lol as i slack off and get lazy. I failed prelims like crazy =/ less than 40% even i didnt pass general maths, but i do so well in assignments i really dont get it! so now im trying to study everyday till the last HSC exam for me is over :)
and some how i wonder what i will get when i get a good UAI if i continue to work hard.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
I don't get bribed. My parents are the tight ass type of asian parents :p

*puts on asian accent* 'Ohh no - you study hard for good future, benefit you not me'. *takes off asian accent*

I agree with them though.
lol my parents talk to me like that as well, but i know they want me to get a high uai and tell all their friends that 'HA, my son got a higher uai then your son, whose the boss now huh?'

eriito

Elite Member
HSC
lol my parents talk to me like that as well, but i know they want me to get a high uai and tell all their friends that 'HA, my son got a higher uai then your son, whose the boss now huh?'
same here lol my parents love talking about the hsc

AvalonPrincess7

Lost in Chemistry Fog
HSC
My parents have the attitude that it's my life, my choice. I'm still amazed they manage to remember what subjects I take, though dates such as my Year Eleven yearlies etc are always forgotten. plus my Brother got a sucky UAI considering his intelligence then managed to fail every subject at Uni, simply because he could'nt be bothered studying, works as very good motivation.

My parents will however happily buy whatever I need for school, and generally upgrade it. The $1000 notebook laptop I asked for somehow transformed into a $3000 do everything laptop.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
When i'm not studying (which is almost always) my parents discuss very loudly (so i can hear them) about how i won't get a UAI >80 and how I'll end up being a beggar, and how i'm such a bad child, and how they want somebody elses child instead. :burn:

but they let me buy parts for my comp when i get good marks so now I have lots of harddrives. 2x 500gb and a 320gb and a 250 gb and a 80gb and a 40gb. o_O

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
When i'm not studying (which is almost always) my parents discuss very loudly (so i can hear them) about how i won't get a UAI >80 and how I'll end up being a beggar, and how i'm such a bad child, and how they want somebody elses child instead. :burn:

but they let me buy parts for my comp when i get good marks so now I have lots of harddrives. 2x 500gb and a 320gb and a 250 gb and a 80gb and a 40gb. o_O
lol

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC

That's not enough :p

MrDimple

HSC
lol my parents lecture me to much bout the HSC it gets annoying yet motivating they stuff but they dont know what the HSC is really about they think its an exam you have to pass. =.=

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
HAHA. That's gold Nathan!

My parents are a bit different though, they go "We'll still support you if you don't get high UAI" which is sometimes contradicted when they say "You need to get a good UAI to support yourself because we won't after you get a job" :uhoh:
Haha, thank you.

My parents would probably support me, but they don't wanna give me ideas :p

gella

HSC
i had a friend who used to get paid by his sister just to GO to school.
no joke

gella

HSC
pretty hekk if you ask me
she'd only pay him if he went for a full week though.
not sure how much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)