Votes: 62 45.6%
  • No

Votes: 55 40.4%
  • No, but I'll get one in Year 12

Votes: 19 14.0%

• Total voters

Finx

HSC
I was just wondering how many of you have a tutor, or whether you'll get one in the future.

I've had a private mental debate on the pros/cons of tutors, and the pros pretty much dominate the list. You're paying money for a potentially higher UAI, and when it comes down to it, why not?

Discuss. =]

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I have a tutor for English because I naturally suck at English. Since I got a tutor my marks in English rose dramatically. But those tutoring colleges suck.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
I don't have a private tutor... but I do go to a coaching college for maths. Only started going when I started accelerating in mathematics. Might consider getting a tutor for my other subjects... if I find it hard to keep up in year 12, however for now... I don't think it's necessary for me to have a tutor for other subjects. But if you think you need it - then why not... a good UAI would probably be worth the extra money.

-tal-

HSC
As bad as this sounds, I'm one of those that have a tutor for maths, chem, physics. I'm really unmotivated, and I only work under pressure - tutor is my way of getting work done.

Keep in mind, getting a tutor doesn't guarantee good marks. I'm failing physics - but I'm doing pretty good in maths and chem.

ps. I go to james an.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Tutoring is useful but definitely not necessary to get the desired UAI.

TurkStyle

HSC
i got a math tutuor cause hes my dads friend so hes pretty much free

helps alot like 2 hours evry 2 weeks

but my school is shit but especially my maths teacher so it was like just me and wen i didnt understand i had to ask other teachers at the staff room (awkward)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
When you say tutor, is it private 1 on 1 only?

monesh

HSC
i have a tutor for 3 u math but its in a group not 1 on 1.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I have tutoring for Phys/Chem/Maths in massive groups (pretty much class sizes).

eliseliselise

HSC
i go to group tutoring/"coaching" for maths, it's awesome. she loads be up with 84932838450283954 test papers too.

i'd never dream of getting a tutor for anything else though... but thats just me.

jimmayy

HSC
i use to go tutoring in big groups and we had some teachers from james ruse in this private college, i learnt alot and understood alot which iis cool =]

paganinio

HSC
it's not the money I worry about
I can study faster when I'm alone, much faster
and I love to study to progressive rock and similar sounds, it would be werid to do that with tutors

selablad

HSC
I don't have the commitment, time or money to have a tutor...which is just as well, because everyone I know thinks tutoring is for dumb people. Nobody does tutoring just to learn cool stuff...

Finx

HSC
I don't necessarily mean 1 on 1 tutoring. Any paid help in a subject also counts (could include study centres.. etc).

Most of you guys live in Sydney too.. that'd cost a shitload for tutoring @_@

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Finx said:
I don't necessarily mean 1 on 1 tutoring.
In that case, I have:
  • Mathematics Extension 1
  • English Extension 1
  • Physics

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
i had like two tutors
one for english and one for modern

the english one was very average. she'd basically repeat my teachers notes on my class notes when 'tutoring' me and she was already a teacher. she'd also use the study guide to teach. there went 30 bux

the modern history tutor was good. but he was just too smart to tutor
he was very thourough though. 25 well spent :)

michael.fatt

HSC
i got a maths tutor and its helpful coz its an extra hour of maths im doing each week and if i dont get anything its helpful to go through it again, its not nesecsarily a teaching thing more revision and its cheap too :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)