• Yes

Votes: 329 69.9%
  • No

Votes: 142 30.1%

• Total voters

jules.09

HSC
Finx said:
I can already see the outcome of this thread.

Maths Lovers: Lol English is bullshit, all they do is express themselves in essays, creative writing, shit that you don't use in real life.

English Lovers: I HATE maths. HATE HATE HATE! SUCKED IN, I GET TO DROP IT. LOLOLOL.

Fence sitters: I don't mind either. They're ok.

From the trend in the poll results, most of 09 BoS are maths lovers. I think there's about a 40-60 YES/NO (respectively) in the "Do you like english?" thread, and a current 70-30 YES/NO in this one.

Further arguing the point will cause forum trolls to rage and cause further argument. Vicious cycle, no?

And to the maths lovers, just because the stats on this site swing towards maths, doesn't mean maths > english. It's a never-ending debate, like Science vs Religion.
I love both math and english!

However... science > religion. :cool:

jules.09

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: Do you like maths?

shaon0 said:
Is it harder or easier than Australia?
The level of math in Australia is rather pathetic..

This teacher I was talking to was saying how Australia ranks near the 100 mark in the world.

No wonder they're amending the syllabus for 2010, it's going to be much harder and more practical for university level math.

About time hey? :)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

jules.09 said:
The level of math in Australia is rather pathetic..

This teacher I was talking to was saying how Australia ranks near the 100 mark in the world.

No wonder they're amending the syllabus for 2010, it's going to be much harder and more practical for university level math.

About time hey? :)
Yeah they are amending it - but I'm pretty sure they aren't making it easier. According to my Maths coordinator - they're implementing multiple choice into the HSC for all levels of maths - doesn't seem more harder or more practical to me.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

the-derivative said:
Yeah they are amending it - but I'm pretty sure they aren't making it easier. According to my Maths coordinator - they're implementing multiple choice into the HSC for all levels of maths - doesn't seem more harder or more practical to me.
At least it doesn't affect us. :)

adnan91

HSC

shaon0 said:
Is it harder or easier than Australia?
Ok the british system is that u do O-levels when u r in year 10. You have two papers to do, paper 2 and paper 4. Paper 2 is very easy, i didnt do the school certificate but maybe paper 2 would be slightly harder. Paper 4 however is harder some parts of it are equivalent to 2unit maths and general in australia. Remember these are the exams they sit at year 10 not year 12 like in australia. Plus the O-levels for other subjects like chemistry have the same difficulty as i reckon year 11 in australia. After O-levels the A-levels come in at year 12. For each subject there are units that you chose, like pure maths is C1 C2 C3 and C4, C4 being the hardest. I would say C4 and mx2 are about the same.

So overall you could say there better prepared in all subjects but when it comes down to the hardest unit in maths mx2=c4. Oh and C4 doesnt have as many topics as mx2 i think

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

the-derivative said:
It would've been nice to have an easier exam though :(
Nah, it wouldn't really benefit maths experts like us...lol :D

higher mark in terms of state average = disadvantage for us...lol :D

But seriously, I would prefer difficult exams to easy exams...that way everyone can be differentiated.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

lyounamu said:
Nah, it wouldn't really benefit maths experts like us...lol :D

higher mark in terms of state average = disadvantage for us...lol :D

But seriously, I would prefer difficult exams to easy exams...that way everyone can be differentiated.
LOL - I don't think I'm a 'math expert' so I'll be disadvantaged :(

But yeah - if they did simplify the exam - I'd be slightly pissed... especially if I end up seeing idiots achieving Band 6 /E4 in both Extension courses.

shaon0

HSC

the-derivative said:

But yeah - if they did simplify the exam - I'd be slightly pissed... especially if I end up seeing idiots achieving Band 6 /E4 in both Extension courses.
Yeah that would be stupid.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

the-derivative said:

Well, not necessarily. I mean, they wouldn't necessarily alter the aligning procedure...they would probably increase the marks for band cut-off to make up for increasing people who get higher marks. So I reckon they will keep the same numbers of students (or percentage of students) getting that particular band.

But I heard from other forums (or threads) that they will make maths harder...which is quite an interesting view.

shaon0

HSC

lyounamu said:
Well, not necessarily. I mean, they wouldn't necessarily alter the aligning procedure...they would probably increase the marks for band cut-off to make up for increasing people who get higher marks. So I reckon they will keep the same numbers of students (or percentage of students) getting that particular band.

But I heard from other forums (or threads) that they will make maths harder...which is quite an interesting view.
i hope they take circle geometry out of all maths syllabi

shaon0

HSC

the-derivative said:
LOL - that is the stupidest topic in Maths.

I learnt it in Year 9 though...
Yeah its so pointless.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

shaon0 said:
i hope they take circle geometry out of all maths syllabi
Lol, yeah, I agree. It is one of the shittest (excuse my language) topic out of all maths syllabi considering its irrelevance. But I like geometry in general.

Even though I don't mind the topic, it should be removed AND I think it is going to be removed by 2010 or 2011 or something (according to my teacher).

It's a pity that we still get to do them this year or next year...

ratcher0071

HSC

lyounamu said:
Lol, yeah, I agree. It is one of the shittest (excuse my language) topic out of all maths syllabi considering its irrelevance. But I like geometry in general.

Even though I don't mind the topic, it should be removed AND I think it is going to be removed by 2010 or 2011 or something (according to my teacher).

:angry:

shaon0

HSC

lyounamu said:

Yeah, its pretty stupid. they should have taken it out years ago. I've asked a few people what the applications of circle geometry are and they've said that it can be used in physics ie. orbits, reflective properties etc and in electronics

lolokay

HSC

imo circle geometry is pretty good. it makes you think about stuff like 'why would that be true', 'how would I prove it', 'what else must be true if it is true' etc.
that kind of thinking/visualising would almost certainly have applications

the only possible downside is if they mark you down for writing out your reasoning/theorems incorrectly

shaon0

HSC

lolokay said:
imo circle geometry is pretty good. it makes you think about stuff like 'why would that be true', 'how would I prove it', 'what else must be true if it is true' etc.

the only possible downside is if they mark you down for writing out your reasoning/theorems incorrectly
Yeah but most people won't use it in their lifetime.

lolokay

HSC

most people won't use most of the maths we learn in their lifetime, but the problem solving skills can always come in handy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)