• No

Votes: 142 30.1%

• Total voters

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
gouge.away said:
the premise of the poll is to see whether people like maths, but not necessarily if they like it more than english [imho].
Yep, you are right. May be I should have mentioned the other thread about English where there are more people who hate English than there are who like English.

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
Yep, you are right. May be I should have mentioned the other thread about English where there are more people who hate English than there are who like English.
perhaps more people are vociferous about not liking english? to generalise [as one is wont to do around these parts], you an see why a fair few who have this opinion do when they use bad spelling and grammar [which only serves to dig their proverbial graves].

no matter how people look at it there are always going to be arguments and corresponding counter-arguments regarding the utility of both. just because there's a preponderance of mathematical minds it does not degrade value of the other.

as important as logic is, rhetoric can be a negating factor and vice versa. it's circular and pointless.

/rant

shaon0

HSC
lyounamu said:
That's not really 100 as in 100% raw mark - more like 95% raw.

Yeah, true. I reckon only person on this website to get that close would be either lolokay from 09ers' list.

I would be satisifed with anything over 95 (need to beat my mate).
I meant 100% in MX2.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
shaon0 said:
I meant 100% in MX2.
No one got 100% in MX2 as in raw since Anthony Henderson (I think that's his name) which was like 1993 (if I remember correctly).

bawd

HSC
Like most people on this forum, I like Mathematics because it is entirely objective and logical. I really dislike Mathematics when it gets really complex however, and I get clouded by using complex methods when in reality the solution is something that is simple and straightforward. But, Mathematics is good.

lolokay

HSC
I don't know that I would say maths is good because it's objective, one correct answer etc. It should be more about problem solving, creativity - new ways of visualising and thinking about things..

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
lolokay said:
I don't know that I would say maths is good because it's objective, one correct answer etc. It should be more about problem solving, creativity - new ways of visualising and thinking about things..
It does have those characteristics but the main reason why i like maths is because of its objectivity - like there's only one answer - so you know if you've got it right or not.

lolokay

HSC
the-derivative said:
It does have those characteristics but the main reason why i like maths is because of its objectivity - like there's only one answer - so you know if you've got it right or not.
what about prove/show questions? there's often more than one answer there

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lolokay said:
what about prove/show questions? there's often more than one answer there
But they tell us that only one answer is right.

shaon0

HSC
lyounamu said:
No one got 100% in MX2 as in raw since Anthony Henderson (I think that's his name) which was like 1993 (if I remember correctly).
how do you know that? I thought they didn't give out raw marks but instead gave out aligned marks.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
shaon0 said:
how do you know that? I thought they didn't give out raw marks but instead gave out aligned marks.
Nah, actually they actually showed the raw marks from BoS once I think. At least the Jeff Geha's book shows the statistics.

And I have also asked the state-rankers from MX2. Last year, the top ranker, Samuel Gardam told me that he reckons he got about 118 or 117/120 and he got one question wrong apparently.

jolzy~~

HSC
i dun mind maths 2 much but i definately dont luv it....

im supposed to be studying it now ><

studynz2008

HSC
Not that I hate Math but sometimes it gives me headache ... I am not good in numbers.

shaon0

HSC
lyounamu said:
Nah, actually they actually showed the raw marks from BoS once I think. At least the Jeff Geha's book shows the statistics.

And I have also asked the state-rankers from MX2. Last year, the top ranker, Samuel Gardam told me that he reckons he got about 118 or 117/120 and he got one question wrong apparently.
Oh ok.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)