Do you lose marks for having 2 related texts? (1 Viewer)

F-O-B

HSC
Like I said, I didn't read the extra info thoroughly.
...yeah, so pretty sure you can't go around calling people 'twat faced douches'

I always thought reading was just as important as being able to write well in english. Cos you might write the most brilliant piece of work, but if it doesnt answer the question, then hey guess what, you can't follow simple instructions.

anyways no point dissecting what you've done. just concentrate on what you can still do..

itunes

HSC
i wrote two Related TEXTs! *sigh* do you think we can still get 12+ out of 15 =[ ??:chainsaw:

Nuclear

HSC
...yeah, so pretty sure you can't go around calling people 'twat faced douches'

I always thought reading was just as important as being able to write well in english. Cos you might write the most brilliant piece of work, but if it doesnt answer the question, then hey guess what, you can't follow simple instructions.

anyways no point dissecting what you've done. just concentrate on what you can still do..
I'm not insulting them because I didn't read the extras properly. I'm insulting them because of the way they are conducting themselves.

HSC
i wrote two Related TEXTs! *sigh* do you think we can still get 12+ out of 15 =[ ??:chainsaw:
I think 15 is out of the question but 12 or 13, can be done easily if your essay was good.

Off-topic for a moment here, who will win? Gun or chainsaw? Inappropriate moment to ask? Yeah, I thought so, too :(.
:shoot::chainsaw:

andreas_

HSC

I'm sure it's still possible if your first related text was explored in depth enough! I think that they will have to go with the first one you wrote about though. I mean if they choose the one that would get you the most marks then that disadvantages those who answered the question correctly because you had two shots at answering the question.

For certain you won't lose marks, you just wont gain them :(

saberjaw

HSC
N/A
I'm sure it's still possible if your first related text was explored in depth enough! I think that they will have to go with the first one you wrote about though. I mean if they choose the one that would get you the most marks then that disadvantages those who answered the question correctly because you had two shots at answering the question.

For certain you won't lose marks, you just wont gain them :(

They mark the better text - becasue HSC marking is positive marking. Like someone put an example before, if you answer two options in science then they mark the better one. Someone could have written to separate essays for this one and they'd mark the better one.

And we aren't given two chances, we have limited ourselves because by writing on two related texts, it means we are writing less on each text then those who just wrote on one. Therefore less depth as has already been said.

That's not to say though it's not possible to do better than those who did one text. If you prepared a response, chopped off one text and waffled on about the other without adding depth and more analysis than you would have, your no better off.

Anyway, people who did two only disadvantaged themselves. I don't see how you can spin to say they're advantaged because by having the worst text disregarded, that means the time they spent on it in the exam was completely wasted.

poormans

HSC
my teacher said that if you wrote about two texts then youll lose at least 4 marks. when everyone was reading through the paper, he like told everyone it was so mad.

yuena4

HSC
Huh? No that's fine. If you did two related then... not good ^_^;
well that actually made me feel a bit better unlike that other guy... but yeh wouldnt have had enough time to finish it if i wrote my other poem in. still very, very worried about it tho:(

jessicascragg

HSC
Just putting it out there
But apparently there was a miss print...the ONE was meant to be in bold

MGNBKR

HSC
why is everyone so against having a memorised essay? i had a memorised one which was very adaptable to any question and i've been getting full marks or close to it all year.

also, i am of the opinion that having a second text will not impact marks at all, considering that it seems half the state have made the same mistake and that there is no negative marking, they will simply look at the first text. a 15 is still achievable as long as your first text that is being considered is in depth and written well.

i think the people who didn't do two texts should get off their high horses, we're all just teenagers, 17 and 18 year olds, and the hsc is not the end of the world. this essay, in perspective, is worth less than 5% of your entire hsc mark, so relax, learn from this experience and focus on the upcoming exams.

AND- "i'd feel terrible too"... pfff what a joke. it would probably be better for people who are uncertain about this to ignore this guy and other fools acting 'holier than thou'

andreas_

HSC
They mark the better text - becasue HSC marking is positive marking. Like someone put an example before, if you answer two options in science then they mark the better one. Someone could have written to separate essays for this one and they'd mark the better one.

And we aren't given two chances, we have limited ourselves because by writing on two related texts, it means we are writing less on each text then those who just wrote on one. Therefore less depth as has already been said.

That's not to say though it's not possible to do better than those who did one text. If you prepared a response, chopped off one text and waffled on about the other without adding depth and more analysis than you would have, your no better off.

Anyway, people who did two only disadvantaged themselves. I don't see how you can spin to say they're advantaged because by having the worst text disregarded, that means the time they spent on it in the exam was completely wasted.

I suppose that could be right, anyway I'm so glad i'm not one of the markers who will have to determine which bits and pieces of the essay will get the better mark and which will be considered irrelevant lol!

but to be honest I don't really mind what they do, I answered the question just as they asked and explored one related text in greater detail. Did as best as i could in the time allowed.

good luck on paper 2 :spin:

mupy

HSC
so - rumour has it (although it's been pretty much confirmed)..that some students at ruse asked about the one related text..and their supervisor ANNOUNCED to the grade to reinforce that the question was asking for ONLY ONE related text.
hence, ruse students probably weren't AS screwed over..presumably.
bloody scandal. is that even legal for the supervisors to give directions like that.
like the maths ext. 1 black out with extra time from last year..
..this is not directed against ruse students at all. but wtf is going on with those supervisors :\

ashllis92

HSC
People, why blame the mistake on us?

The exam states:

"In your answer you will be assessed on how well you:
analyse, explain and assess the ways belonging is represented in a variety of texts"

By putting a question asking for ONE related text they are asking for two things in the one paper.

CLEARLY BOS HAVE CONTRADICTED THEMSELVES AND MADE THE MISTAKE.

Therefore, BOTH responses should be included. They should take it into consideration. So if you're calling up or whatever, use this as your argument but either way everyone should be fine and they MUST take into consideration our interpretation of the question.

This is a valid argument however "a variety" doesn't explicitly specify three or more (including prescribed). It may specify two, it may specify more than two. In this instance I believe that BOS have interpreted it as two. Possibly if you were doing Skrzynecki or Dickinson you could do a few poems to have made up the "variety" however this is unfair to anyone who studied a book etc. I don't think that people should be considered equally because like it or not, the question said ONE and people who did two did not fulfil the requirements of the question and therefore are unable to gain full marks.
What you say about personal interpretation is also true however ONE is rather hard to interpret as anything other than ONE. It is not at least ONE, it is ONE.

mupy

HSC

..positive marking..REALLY?? but then doesn't that mean we can provide multiple answers and do this double bite at the cherry thing ALL the time..and then the markers will jst choose the correct one?
...i personally don't think that sounds right. so often in exams we'll come up with questions that we're unsure of the answer..and you're suggesting that writing multiple answers will get us the mark?
UNLESS you mean only in extended response questions they can choose the "better" response. but in one mark 'identify' questions with one deadset answer, surely you can't just put down a million different answers..

ashllis92

HSC
my teacher said that if you wrote about two texts then youll lose at least 4 marks. when everyone was reading through the paper, he like told everyone it was so mad.
How the hell was your teacher even in the room is with you??? And that is so unbelievably wrong and unfair!!! My teacher wasn't allowed to even look at the exam until 3/4 of the way through!

Triquetral

HSC
so - rumour has it (although it's been pretty much confirmed)..that some students at ruse asked about the one related text..and their supervisor ANNOUNCED to the grade to reinforce that the question was asking for ONLY ONE related text.
hence, ruse students probably weren't AS screwed over..presumably.
bloody scandal. is that even legal for the supervisors to give directions like that.
like the maths ext. 1 black out with extra time from last year..
..this is not directed against ruse students at all. but wtf is going on with those supervisors :\
WTF!!! I read that fucking question in the very beginning but didn't ask because I know the supervisors cannot answer my question regarding that. Like they arn't advantaged enough that they asked and got the right answer out of it...farout BOS I hate you so much :( the systems retarded :(

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
OK, so it seems a lot of people are arguing about whether people who wrote two texts should be penalised for not reading the question properly etc.

A lot of people in my school wrote about 2 texts, although they had read the question properly. Why? They had about 15 minutes to spare where they could've:

a) Done nothing
b) Written about another poem (and done badly, leaving the marker with a bad taste)
c) Written in more detail about one of their poems (and done equally as badly, making up quotes)
d) Written about their second learnt related text.

I'm guessing their reading task and creatives were pretty much spot on.

I know what I'd choose to do.

But that aside, WHO THE FUCK CARES? It's not like a bunch of whiny ass kids on some forum are going to change the way the BoS mark. For most of us, WE'RE NEVER GONNA FUCKING KNOW whether using one/two related texts positive/negatively affected us. So loosen the fuck up, there's still 4+ exams for most people.

chuboy

HSC
Why would you write about two texts if they only ask for one??

Seems like writing a page-long answer for a one-mark question to me...it's not like they'll award you extra marks for providing shit they didn't ask to see.

Clearly they wanted to see how well-read you were by only allowing you one related text to use effectively with your set text. Hopefully all the idiots who couldn't follow the basic instructions and just reproduced their tutor-provided McEssay will lose marks for it...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)