Do you pay board to live at home? (1 Viewer)

SpoonSamba

HSC
Who here has to pay board to live with their parents?

How much do you have to pay?

klaris

HSC
I don't.

I know people that do, though and they pay about $20 a fortnight (from their youthallowance, part time job etc)

audioxdoll

HSC
i dont. my mum has threatened and failed to make me pay board but once im 18 & over and have my finances in order i will probably want to pay board yknow as like obligation or something.

HSC
Uni Grad
I will be when I get a job (if i get a fucken job ffs), just so I don't feel like a fat gross yucky mooching abhorrent cunt.

CecilyMare

HSC
a fat gross yucky mooching abhorrent cunt.
I do not and will never as long as I'm living in this house. Sometimes they threaten to sell this house once I start uni as so to kick me out, but if this actually doesn't happen I doubt they would ask me to pay rent, because they wouldn't use my room to lease out to strangers. My mom's paranoid about leasing out to strangers.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
Definitely not.
Honestly, I would be offended if my parents asked me to pay board. Like, I'm their son, you know...

I am definitely not a moocher though, I pay my own way when it comes to my phone bills, petrol, car insurance etc etc. and I never ask for money. (That's more than I can say for my younger brothers... My mum pays my bro's phone bill every month. The last three months, his bill has been at least $120... >.<)

purplemonkey

HSC
I pay $20 a week in board. And pay all my own bills (as I should). I think it's fair enough for my mum to ask for a bit, she has 5 adults living in the house, that ain't cheap.

SpoonSamba

HSC
Definitely not.
Honestly, I would be offended if my parents asked me to pay board. Like, I'm their son, you know...
/QUOTE]

Yeah well when my dad brought it up after i got my first job last year i was like wtf? I'm your daughter! And how come no one mentioned this before i got a job...

But that job didn't last very long so i didn't have to pay anyway but now I have a new and better paying job, which I am intending to keep and dad wants me to pay $40 a week. I think its slack I can't save any money to move out and buy a house or travel If I'm going to have to pay this like It'd be half the amount I was gonna save each week.

I'm happy to pay my own transport fares, fines, buy my own books/clothes/food like i don't even eat at home and I have 5 minute showers so all I do is take up space I don't think its fair to charge me for it. end rant.

HSC
Uni Grad
Well they are paying to keep as alive (food and place to sleep and shit), so it's really only fair imo.
Ofc different people, different circumstances may not see it the same and stuff.

HSC
I never used to, but I do now.

My parents and I have struck an allright deal, IMO. My work contract has a 10 hour base, so if I only work those 10 hours, I don't pay anything. If I work any more than that (which is most weeks), I pay 10% of whatever I earn. I never used to pay my own car insurance, but I do now.

I actually think I'm getting off pretty lightly, IMO.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
Definitely not.
/QUOTE]

Yeah well when my dad brought it up after i got my first job last year i was like wtf? I'm your daughter! And how come no one mentioned this before i got a job...

But that job didn't last very long so i didn't have to pay anyway but now I have a new and better paying job, which I am intending to keep and dad wants me to pay $40 a week. I think its slack I can't save any money to move out and buy a house or travel If I'm going to have to pay this like It'd be half the amount I was gonna save each week.

I'm happy to pay my own transport fares, fines, buy my own books/clothes/food like i don't even eat at home and I have 5 minute showers so all I do is take up space I don't think its fair to charge me for it. end rant.
I totally agree.

I can understand that if parents have heaps of adults living at home why it would be feasible, but unfortunately, my mum is the kind of person to inflict double standards when it comes to money (e.g. pays for my brothers $120+ phone bill but get's offended if I ask for the $40 a month it costs to pay for mine). Also, as soon as I finished school, she stopped giving me an allowance, completely out of the blue but still gives my brothers theirs. My Dad would give me money in a heart beat because I am the only one in this family (including mum) that is responsible with money, but mum sees it differently. If anything, mum not giving me allowance constitutes as me paying board, because Dad wants to let me keep getting it, but Mum doesn't.

Lol - /mylittlerant XD

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
my parents are all "we will never ask anything from you, or for you to pay us back or this or that, we are your parents, it's our job to look after you"

:):):)

HSC
I totally agree.

I can understand that if parents have heaps of adults living at home why it would be feasible, but unfortunately, my mum is the kind of person to inflict double standards when it comes to money (e.g. pays for my brothers $120+ phone bill but get's offended if I ask for the $40 a month it costs to pay for mine). Also, as soon as I finished school, she stopped giving me an allowance, completely out of the blue but still gives my brothers theirs. My Dad would give me money in a heart beat because I am the only one in this family (including mum) that is responsible with money, but mum sees it differently. If anything, mum not giving me allowance constitutes as me paying board, because Dad wants to let me keep getting it, but Mum doesn't.

Lol - /mylittlerant XD
TBQH, I don't see why your parents should still be giving you an allowance when you're at uni.

SSRabbitohs2009

28:06:42:12
HSC
I don't, but I have a feeling that the question will be coming around soon. I pay for everything else, though (clothes, fares to uni, textbooks, food).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)