Do You Support the Death Penalty? (1 Viewer)

Do u support the death penalty

• Total voters
HSC
N/A
michael1990 said:
I don't support the death penalty.

I think we should make the person who committed the crime have a life that is not like other prision lifes. They should be treated like crap, they should get 2 meals a day and the meals should only be bare minimal that will keep them alive.

They shouldnt be able to have access to daylight, to fresh air, they should live in squaller.
They deserve to have a life of suffering, i may be cruel but i am sure people agree with me.
How is cruel and degrading punishment a better alternative to the death penalty? In no way do I support the death penalty, but your proposed method of punishment is denying them of basic human rights, despite the degree of the crime they may have committed.

Also, they would die soon after (seriously - starving them, depriving them of air and water...how could anyone live for too long in those conditions?), so I don't see how it would help punish them in any way except make their inevitable death more painful and drawn out, doing nothing but make you feel like something was actually being done. If on the off chance they did survive, I think you'd just be left with some very bitter criminals who could reoffend, or there would be a significant increase in the number of patients being committed to psychiatric wards.

boris

Banned
HSC
so I don't see how it would help punish them in any way except make their inevitable death more painful and drawn out,
Der, I think that was the point.

williamc

HSC
Yes i support the death penalty. In any circumstance the state chooses.

michael1990

HSC
-WaxingLyrical- said:
How is cruel and degrading punishment a better alternative to the death penalty? In no way do I support the death penalty, but your proposed method of punishment is denying them of basic human rights, despite the degree of the crime they may have committed.

Also, they would die soon after (seriously - starving them, depriving them of air and water...how could anyone live for too long in those conditions?), so I don't see how it would help punish them in any way except make their inevitable death more painful and drawn out, doing nothing but make you feel like something was actually being done. If on the off chance they did survive, I think you'd just be left with some very bitter criminals who could reoffend, or there would be a significant increase in the number of patients being committed to psychiatric wards.
They should be denied their basic Human Rights, how can someone who is a rapist or murdered be even allowed back into society? A pedefile?

They should be locked up deprived and keep alive so that they know what sort of suffering their victims will have to go through their whole life. They don't derserve sympathy.

We wouldn't want them to live, why should they?
after the horrific crimes they committed they don't derserve to, but they also don't derserve to have the death penality, as it will be quick and painless.

michael1990

HSC
zimmerman8k said:
and what is the benefit of making them suffer? hell i think the opposite, if anything conditions should be greatly improved in prison. If people are not being beaten and raped in prison then maybe they might have a chance of being rehabilitated, or at least not becoming more disturbed by the time they leave.
the Benefit, would be giving the victims knowledge that the person who committed the crime will not be getting away with the crime, they will be serving out a sentence which is WORSE than death. Death is to easy, they are people who don't care about death who would rather be killed then sent to complete a sentence of being deprived of their Human Rights.

HSC
N/A
Yeah, but how does that help anything? is what I'm trying to say. It doesn't rehabilitate them, it doesn't make the world a better place. They may as well die straight off using the death penalty if that's the alternative, because the intended idea behind them is the same - to be positive that they can't repeat their offence.

The only thing that sets them apart, is that by inflicting standards akin to torture on them in this case, it gives others a sort of savage sense of satisfaction to brainless idiots that justice has been served.

boris

Banned
HSC
It doesn't rehabilitate them, it doesn't make the world a better place.
Some people can't be rehabilitated and some don't deserve to be given the chance.

HSC
N/A
michael1990 said:
They should be denied their basic Human Rights, how can someone who is a rapist or murdered be even allowed back into society? A pedefile?

They should be locked up deprived and keep alive so that they know what sort of suffering their victims will have to go through their whole life. They don't derserve sympathy.

We wouldn't want them to live, why should they?
after the horrific crimes they committed they don't derserve to, but they also don't derserve to have the death penality, as it will be quick and painless.
paedophile*

Also, it's not about being sympathetic to their plight - you don't necessarily HAVE to reintegrate them back into society, they can serve out life imprisonment so that choice doesn't have to be made (though I am aware this cannot be applied in all circumstances). In any case regarding rapists and murderers, if there is a chance for rehabilitation, I think that's always the better option eg for one time offenders, or for less extreme cases.

In the conditions that you outlined though, I think a person would very quickly go insane, so I don't think there would be room left for rational thinking like "oh I wonder if this is what my victims felt like". However, thats speculation on my part entirely.

You're following the mentality that by being exposed to these conditions that they will suddenly be able to feel how their victims felt and regret their actions. I think a far more likely scenario is that they will just be left feeling even more embittered, and far more likely to repeat their offence.

boris said:
Some people can't be rehabilitated and some don't deserve to be given the chance.
I agree, but I don't see how this method of punishment does ANYTHING to help whatsoever.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
I don't support the death penalty. Especially with some of the issues that it gets applied to world wide. E.g. Drug smugglers are deserving of the death penalty but bombers aren't in Bali. Or even the inhumanity of how it is carried out worldwide such as death stoning.

And to those who think it isn't that bad for child sex offenders in prison they are one of the most persecuted people in prison by fellow prisoners.

So, how do you people feel about institutionalised corporal punishment?

michael1990

HSC
-WaxingLyrical- said:
paedophile*

Also, it's not about being sympathetic to their plight - you don't necessarily HAVE to reintegrate them back into society, they can serve out life imprisonment so that choice doesn't have to be made (though I am aware this cannot be applied in all circumstances). In any case regarding rapists and murderers, if there is a chance for rehabilitation, I think that's always the better option eg for one time offenders, or for less extreme cases.

In the conditions that you outlined though, I think a person would very quickly go insane, so I don't think there would be room left for rational thinking like "oh I wonder if this is what my victims felt like". However, thats speculation on my part entirely.

You're following the mentality that by being exposed to these conditions that they will suddenly be able to feel how their victims felt and regret their actions. I think a far more likely scenario is that they will just be left feeling even more embittered, and far more likely to repeat their offence.

I agree, but I don't see how this method of punishment does ANYTHING to help whatsoever.
Sorry about the spelling mistake lol

I just don't believe in EXTREME circumstances that these "people" which i throw around lightly should even have a choice for rehabilitation. They do not deserve to be amonst society. I do agree however about the bitterness and may be re-offending but not if this is their lifetime sentence. I think all victims would agree with me.

They may not feel remorse (which most criminals of that nature do not), but it will show society that we DO NOT TOLERATE such crimes.

I do not believe that their is any sort of remorse from Murderers and Rapist, this is not a belief i take lightly. The persons in these sorts of crimes are repeat offenders. 'Most' of them are inhumane.

What do you believe should be the punishment if not the death penalty or what i have suggested?

boris

Banned
HSC
It gets them off this earth and out of my face.

michael1990

HSC
zimmerman8k said:
No like the tangible benefit? Like something that actually makes society better, not the satisfaction of a instinctual urge for revenge.

Thats easy, life imprisonment. It ensures they can never harm society again, anything else is just a lust for vengence.
Putting these people in prison is not making society better. It just shows the victims and their families that the person that committed the crime is alive and living fine, he gets 3 meals a day. He may even earn money while in prison.

I just don't believe any person committing inhumane crimes deserves human rights, they have taken someone elses life?

why do they deserve it?

michael1990

HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Ok so the only advantage you can demonstrate is that it may make some victims feel better. Of course, I can argue that it may make some victims feel worse, many may not want to see the offender tortured or killed and may feel quite bad about this. Even if most want some sort of revenge, there is no evidence that appeasing this desire will help the victim heal pyschologically.

You've repeated your moral outrage several times now, can you actual demonstrate any benefit that people in society (other than revenge hungry victims) could derive from making criminals suffer?
actually not really.

but i shall think about it.

HSC
N/A
michael1990 said:
Sorry about the spelling mistake lol

I just don't believe in EXTREME circumstances that these "people" which i throw around lightly should even have a choice for rehabilitation. They do not deserve to be amonst society. I do agree however about the bitterness and may be re-offending but not if this is their lifetime sentence. I think all victims would agree with me.

They may not feel remorse (which most criminals of that nature do not), but it will show society that we DO NOT TOLERATE such crimes.

I do not believe that their is any sort of remorse from Murderers and Rapist, this is not a belief i take lightly. The persons in these sorts of crimes are repeat offenders. 'Most' of them are inhumane.

What do you believe should be the punishment if not the death penalty or what i have suggested?
Well actually, the death penalty was introduced as a deterrent too, and that didn't help. You're making huge generalisations in your argument - you cannot say that all victims will agree with you, and you cannot classify these criminals as inhumane. Despite the atrocities (I'm thinking you're talking about really major offences here) they have committed, they are still people, and I don't believe in pedalling conditions akin to torture simply because that's the way they have acted.

I'm undecided on the best form of punishment for them, so I guess I'd have to agree with zimmerman8k on life imprisonment. Though the conditions of some of those prisons at present, you'd pretty much end up with prisoners dealing with the same effects as they would find in the punishment you promote.

I just don't believe any person committing inhumane crimes deserves human rights, they have taken someone elses life?
Human rights aren't granted to a person solely on the basis that they have to be good all their lives, but you hope that people don't do stuff like that. They aren't just taken away when you commit crimes, you're basically meant to have them the entirety of your existence ie they 'expire' when you die. I think I'm going off track here a little because I'm not even entirely sure what I'm trying to say anymore...

Is there any country/crime we're talking about specifically here? It makes it easier to discuss than these generalised statements...

michael1990

HSC
-WaxingLyrical- said:
Well actually, the death penalty was introduced as a deterrent too, and that didn't help. You're making huge generalisations in your argument - you cannot say that all victims will agree with you, and you cannot classify these criminals as inhumane. Despite the atrocities (I'm thinking you're talking about really major offences here) they have committed, they are still people, and I don't believe in pedalling conditions akin to torture simply because that's the way they have acted.

I'm undecided on the best form of punishment for them, so I guess I'd have to agree with zimmerman8k on life imprisonment. Though the conditions of some of those prisons at present, you'd pretty much end up with prisoners dealing with the same effects as they would find in the punishment you promote.

Human rights aren't granted to a person solely on the basis that they have to be good all their lives, but you hope that people don't do stuff like that. They aren't just taken away when you commit crimes, you're basically meant to have them the entirety of your existence ie they 'expire' when you die. I think I'm going off track here a little because I'm not even entirely sure what I'm trying to say anymore...

Is there any country/crime we're talking about specifically here? It makes it easier to discuss than these generalised statements...
we are talking about who believes in the death penalty, if not the death penalty then what penalty for the crimes they committed such inhumane crimes.

They are all generalisation arguments

poWerdrY

HSC
yes i do

it costs too much to keep repeat offenders and such in prisons. they have life too good with too many luxuries. better to just kill the bastards. they are no contribution to society whatsoever

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
aliyosufi said:
stop and think for a minute

if someone raped your mum or your sister and you where the judge what would you want to to the offender.
Um, this is why we try have an objective decision.

vasuu91

HSC
i dont agree with the concept of death penalty
killing off anyone for whatever reason is never justifiable in my opinion
seriously, if the law of a country kills off any one person, then how do u differentiate between the values & ethics of a murderer and that of a morally conscious society????

as for it being a deterrant, what about the crime rates in countries like the US and the asian countries that still have capital punishment????

~ari

is well hung
HSC
aliyosufi said:
personally i think society will be better off without rapists pedophiles and murders
But it's politically incorrect to advocate for a Muslim free world.

HSC
N/A
aliyosufi said:
stop and think for a minute

if someone raped your mum or your sister and you where the judge what would you want to to the offender.
Do you ever think before you type?

aliyosufi said:
personally i think society will be better off without rapists pedophiles and murders
And why not just life imprisonment then?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)