• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do You Support the Death Penalty? (2 Viewers)

Do u support the death penalty

• Total voters

im an idiot

or am i?
HSC
its funny though how many people put to death are later found to be innocent

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
im an idiot said:
its funny though how many people put to death are later found to be innocent
Yes but most of that was in the past were they didnt have good forensics like DNA

im an idiot

or am i?
HSC
cant we just make an island that has no rules or laws and just deport all the criminals to there?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
it's already been done. and we're living on it. '-_-

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
Argonaut said:
How do the people who actually execute the criminals sleep at night?
In China (I think) where they hang people, there are a bunch of buttons that get pressed to open the trapdoor, but only one actually opens it. So an individual doesn't know if they're the one that opened the trapdoor. It's probably very small comfort, but it's something I guess.

spiny norman

HSC
Holy social regression, Batman!

Taking an eye for an eye leaves all of us blind.

I can't believe 45% of you have voted that the death penalty should be acceptable. Bloody idiots.

bamiyan

It's cheaper to execute a criminal (for serious crimes eg. murder, rape, etc.) than it is to feed, care and clothe him/her for the term of their sentence and once their dead they do not threaten society anymore. That's another argument in favour of capital punishment.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
Asquithian said:
There is no corellation between the death penalty and reduced rates of murder. You can find numerous stats to show that.

You assume that people who murder other people have the time and effort to actually think through what they are doing. Most murders are committed in the moment.

Interestingly most murders are committed in the kitchen and most people are killed with hand/feet - followed by knives. The point is that most people do not have the time or through to grab a gun or blunt object because the murder is not planned.

The dealth penalty only works as a deter people who plan and are conscious of their actions. Most murders take place in a fit of passion without any thinking. In those cases, which is most, the death penalty offers little to deter.

----------

It encourages 'self help' and people taking the law into their own hands. It encourages eye for an eye (which generally only leaves all parties blind).

However I do think some of Australia's very worst killers should have been executed. I'm thinking of Martin Briaint and the backpaker murderer. It's hard to think of how the relation of a victim would feel.

wen did i say the death penalty deters murderers?
I don't think murders should be given the death penalty at all, i even made sure i didn't poll that one.
the example i gave was in cairo airport where you could be killed for possession of goods deemed illegal by their government and that sure as hell would act as a deterrent to a common person trying to break the law by smuggling in illegal goods.

djmattyd

HSC
bamiyan said:
It's cheaper to execute a criminal (for serious crimes eg. murder, rape, etc.) than it is to feed, care and clothe him/her for the term of their sentence and once their dead they do not threaten society anymore. That's another argument in favour of capital punishment.
What's more important: money or life?

Money will never erase the fact that life is not something any institution should be able to take away, be it the state or another human being.

And where does this cost cutting stop? Do we kill of those who are mentally handicapped and murder simply because it is cheaper to kill them rather than rehabillitate them, or institutionalise them? While it's a fair enough argument, it's more important that these people keep their lives, rot in jail if so deserved, and maintain their pathetic existances.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Monkey Butler said:
In China (I think) where they hang people, there are a bunch of buttons that get pressed to open the trapdoor, but only one actually opens it. So an individual doesn't know if they're the one that opened the trapdoor. It's probably very small comfort, but it's something I guess.
It has happened like that for years.

Lethal injection is done by a similar method (most inject harmless liquid). Firing squads are also similar (although the problem being is that an experienced shooter can tell, but their mind makes them believe what they want to believe).

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
i like the big island with a thick high wall around it

let them eat each other and see wat its like to have no rights

could even turn it into reality tv

tattoodguy

lol at the reality tv thing rofl rofl.

as i have said before ------------- very few murders occur just for fun etc.

most ppple who murder are taking revenge, its spur of the moment or they are them selves victims of voilent crimes.

So in the vast majority of cases people dont just killl for the hell of it. They have goood reasons.

Rapists are already treated to harshly under the law.

happy cup

has left BOS :)
HSC
N/A
right now, innocent people can still be sentenced to life in prison (depending on the crime of course :p)

i'd hate to be in that situation death penalty or not. :(

HSC
No, under no circumstances do I think that the death penalty is appropriate. While criminal acts deserve punishment, there is nothing that someone can do which, in my eyes, justifies taking their life in return. It's an eye for an eye, and that's a no-go in my books. It's willfully taking the life of another person, not acceptable in general society, and in my opinion, not at all acceptable as a state measure either.

Furthermore, even if I didn't have moral objections to the death penalty, the fact that there is potential for innocent people to fall victim to this extreme measure is another issue which means that I don't see it as being at all appropriate. It's bad enough, though perhaps unavoidable in any human-devised (Error prone) justice system, that people can potentially be locked away indefinitely despite being innocent, but having their life taken is a whole new level of wrong.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
spiny norman said:
What the hell!?
i concur.....i dont think they are treated too harshly at all. in some cases i think rape is even worse than murder, with the victim having to live with the rape for the rest of their lives.

waterfowl

HSC
The death penalty is not necessary.
Personally if some person murdered my family, I would much rather them live the rest of their life in a crappy prison than having them put to death - that way they suffer more.
I mean, these days the death penalty (in '''''civilised''''' countries) is just a little injection and you go to sleep. How is that punishment?!
Back in the days of the electric chair, or even further back to the cross, there is a small, tiny, miniscule chance I might have been in favour, because at least then the criminal suffers.

I am glad we don't have the death penalty, and think life imprisonment should replace it in countries where it exists (for murder).

Rorix

HSC
Support the death penalty that supports you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)