Do You Support the Death Penalty? (1 Viewer)

Do u support the death penalty

• Total voters

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Isn't that a bit of a contradiction when you're talking about this though? I mean, if you're morally against someone suffering this extreme punishment, then how can you defend someone rotting in jail while saying that it's worse? Nope, I think that the death penalty is the ultimate punishment. Totally uncool.

zinc

HSC
people voted yes? What happens after someone has been convicted and killed and it turns out it wasnt them. Mistakes happen. Also what gives one person the right over another person's life?

bshoc

HSC
N/A
Optophobia said:
Including the guy who pulls the switch to end the murderers life?
No, your legal right to life ends the second you kill, thus the switchpuller isnt commiting any wrong, only serving the state.

These days a computer could probably do it anyway.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
zinc said:
people voted yes? What happens after someone has been convicted and killed and it turns out it wasnt them. Mistakes happen. Also what gives one person the right over another person's life?
Forensic science and DNA evidence has come to such a point that something like that is so improbable its not worth holding up the process.

I think the correct question is what gives the state the right to take another persons life - usually - if that person has done likewise.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
bshoc said:
No, your legal right to life ends the second you kill, thus the switchpuller isnt commiting any wrong, only serving the state.

These days a computer could probably do it anyway.
Then the programmer becomes implicated, or the person who double-clicks on kill.exe.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
zinc said:
Erm Compensation ever heard of that word???

Just pay out million. The world is over-populated and these prisoners are wasting time and resourcres when they could be dead.

ALl prisoners regardless of what crime they committ if they are caught whether proven guilty or not - they should killed instantly on the spot.

Then they should crucified like Jesus to remind others of their sacrifice.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
zinc said:
You said it.

Optophobia

HSC
http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/bali-nine-face-death-jab/2007/03/15/1173722660864.html

Indonesia flags lethal injection deaths for condemned Bali nine members

Mark Forbes and Karuni Rompies, Jakarta
March 16, 2007

INDONESIA'S Attorney-General says he is considering killing members of the Bali nine on death row by lethal injections rather than by firing squads.

Attorney-General Abdul Rachman Saleh and his anti-narcotics chief have intervened against a constitutional challenge to their death penalties by members of the Bali nine, urging the Constitutional Court to endorse executions.

Mr Saleh said injections would be more humane, but Indonesia remained committed to executing serious drug offenders.

The shift to lethal injections is being discussed with Indonesia's Doctors' Association.

Mr Saleh said the existing method was to blindfold convicts and put them in front of six shooters, with just one bullet loaded into the six weapons. If the convict did not die after the shooters fired, the commander of the squad delivered a final shot.

Scott Rush, Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran have launched constitutional challenges against their penalties.

At yesterday's hearing, National Narcotics Agency chief Made Pastika also gave evidence, describing drug traffickers as "mass murderers because they can endanger the future of Indonesia".

"I believe we still need the application of capital punishment. If we abolish it Indonesia would send the wrong message to the drugs traffickers."

Harsh anti-drug laws had drastically reduced drugs cases in Singapore and abolishing capital punishment could see drug traffickers relocating to Indonesia, General Pastika claimed. Mr Saleh also warned of the dangers of drug trafficking.

He also claimed Australians and other foreigners should not be allowed to challenge Indonesia's constitution.

In the landmark case, the court is still considering if foreigners are eligible for constitutional protection.

"The Government strongly rejects the petition," Mr Saleh said. "Capital punishment is not against human rights because there are laws that regulate it and the laws are guaranteed by the constitution."

Rush's Australian lawyer Colin McDonald said that, as a signatory to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, Indonesia should reserve the death penalty for the most serious crimes, like murder.

"There is plenty of international jurisprudence to say that middle-ranking, drug-related crime is not in the most serious category. Therefore, at least in relation to middle-ranking drug crime, the death penalty is unconstitutional."

There was a strong case that capital punishment contravened Indonesia's constitutional guarantee to a right to life, Mr McDonald said.

General Pastika told the court that people in Bali had turned to drug use and trafficking because of the economic downturn caused by the Bali bombing.

"Fifteen thousand people died of drugs per year in Indonesia, or around 41 persons per day. In politics, we say that drugs kill young generation."

The three other members of the Bali nine also on death row have not joined the constitutional challenge, but are due to lodge Supreme Court appeals against their sentences today or early next week.

The constitutional challenge is expected to continue for a month.

cs01001

HSC
Death Penalty certainly doesn't work as a deterrant.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
cs01001 said:
Death Penalty certainly doesn't work as a deterrant.
No penalties fines etc anything doesnt work as a detterrant. The point of the death penalty is not a deter rather to reduce the human population.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Exphate said:
Guns > Drugs.

GO FIRING SQUAD!
I wonder how many Indonesians will be sitting outside of wherever it is they hold these morbid events with their little flags, cheering on the deaths?

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
Death penalty for recidivists (?) only.

Those who commit heinous crimes but show obvious remorse, or there were mitigating circumstances, should not be given the death penalty.

Those who derive humor from their heinous crimes must die.

Painfully.

-P_D

meowz0r

HSC
I don't believe in the death penalty - ever. What sort of message is that sending to the community where the state is sanctioned to kill. I believe it's contradictory to say, by law, you cannot kill another person and yet the state still may. A case of do as I say, not as I do. But the state should lead by example!

I also think the death penalty is wrong as there are better alternatives such as incarceration. What greater penalty is there then the deprival of freedom? The death penalty does not punish, it just removes. It removes a potentially useful member of society who could be rehabilitated.

That's my two cents -- probably already been said somewhere up the top lol.

BlitzSpade

HSC
End them...don't forget they are criminals, they don't deserve to live...if you are a serial killer, join those you killed, go get an injection and sleep. I don't care whether it's a deterrent or not, as long as the person won't offend again. The justice system is too light, always some guy will come out getting a slap on the wrist...no he should get jail...and killers, rapists or anyone crazy enough to committ a serious crime should die.

Say a terrorist blew up a huge building in sydney and killed hundreds...what do you do? you lock him up? no you inject him with your best stuff and black him out, snuff out his flame. You commit the crime, you do the time...and if it's bad enough you might as well take the death pill

jimmayyy

HSC
townie said:
Me: No, not under any circumstances.
so if a some evil bastard rapes, tortues and kills ur mum in the most horrific way, admits it, shows no remose, no sign he is sorry, in fact, he liked doing it and was planning on doing it to your little sisters, and had already done it to 384234 other women, he shouldnt be killed?

sorry, i just cant see ur logic.

i think in some and the most extreme cases, the state killing a person is perfectly fine. saddam hussien for example, deserved it.

and plus, wats the point if u r going to do it painlessly?

if they are gonna do it, it shouldnt be all humane and shit, then it IS the easy way out

hanging, firing squad or chair i say

jimmayyy

HSC
meowz0r said:
I don't believe in the death penalty - ever. What sort of message is that sending to the community where the state is sanctioned to kill. I believe it's contradictory to say, by law, you cannot kill another person and yet the state still may. A case of do as I say, not as I do. But the state should lead by example!

I also think the death penalty is wrong as there are better alternatives such as incarceration. What greater penalty is there then the deprival of freedom? The death penalty does not punish, it just removes. It removes a potentially useful member of society who could be rehabilitated.

That's my two cents -- probably already been said somewhere up the top lol.
its sending the message that if u kill someone, we will kill u. anyone who still kills knowing they can be killed in return deserves to die anyway. natural selection if people are that retarded.

and when i say kill, i mean the people who actually kill knowing it is wrong, enjoying it etc. not cus they are mental cases or in self defence, i mean ppl like ted bundy etc etc

and as for potentially useful member of society? rofl.

they deserve to be removed

humans are vengeful people by nature. let that run its course

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)