does ANYBODY enjoy their text for english? (1 Viewer)

sleepplease

HSC
jackattack said:
Er, it's not a stupid thing to say at all. God forbid people don't appreciate literature like you do!

EDIT: Plath is the most overrated nonsense I've ever read. DADDY DADDY I LOVE YOU DADDY WHY DID YOU LEAVE ME DADDY I HATE YOU DADDY TODAY I TRIED TO REUNITE WITH YOU DADDY BUT THE BLADE WAS NOT SHARP ENOUGH OH CURSE YOU DADDY I HATE YOU I NEED YOU
Oh no, it is not a stupid thing not to like the poet/literature. It's stupid to label the author a cunt. I don't like "Daddy" either, "Nick and the Candlestick" I think is fantastic though.

Paj20

HSC
risole91 said:
the book im reading atm, i was dreading before i read it.
and now with less then 160 pages to go, i am loving it.

it's what you make it!
which one was it?

Zephyrio

HSC
sleepplease said:
smackattack what a stupid thing to say.

Coleridge managed to express beautifully some of the most natural human desires and fears. His poetry evokes an instinctive emotional reaction before you even BEGIN to consider it intellectually - an exceptional few manage that (T.S.Elliot, Hughes, Plath, Hopkins to name a few are most definitely up there).

I love english, I love Coleridge, I love BNW, I love Blade Runner and I love King Lear.
To be honest, of all Elliot's poetry I've read, the only one that stands out is "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" ("Prufrock" hereafter). I have studied his poems in depth, and I can honestly say that this was the only one that stood out, simply because I thought he expressed his thoughts so well, and you could clearly place this piece within the Modernist movement.

On the other hand, poems such as "The Wasteland" was like a blended mix of religion, culture and literature, and as such its focus was much wider than that of "Prufrock". I wrote an essay on it in relation to The Great Gatsby (which I really adore) and with all the religious motifs and such, I didn't feel the lyrical or poetry at all, and felt thoroughly confused to be honest. Though to my consolation, when it was first published in a magazine, people believed that it was a bit of a prank. Little did they know that it would be known as Elliot's piece pièce de résistance decades later and studied all over the world. In some respect, it deals with Modernist issues, such as the isolation of the individual, cultural and social deterioration as a result of post WWI economic booms, in such an avant-garde way that isn't really typical of Modernists - in fact, one could even argue that with Elliot's fragmentation and pastiche, that the poem is Postmodernist by poetic nature. Maybe that's why the poem sort of shitted me - Postmodernism is a bit annoying, especially

if
someone
formats
their
work
this
for no apparent reason.

Personally, I love Heaney and Skrzynecki.

Last edited:

sleepplease

HSC
Zephyrio - Have you read Elliot's "The Hollow Men" ? It's one of my favourites.

I agree the Wasteland is a challenge, but perhaps in a few years, on retrospect, aspects of it will appeal to you more. It's definitely not postmodern! It has such a strong sense of poetic self/identity and there's not even much subversion of the structure. I do get your point about fragmentation, but the technique itslf is not po-mo. Postmod fragmention has the intent usually of commenting on the methods of communication and perception - playing with language and expression - Elliot isn't doing that at all.

Oh, don't do post-modernism injustice by labelling it as prose cut up pretending to be poetry! It's just another movement, with another intention, no better or worse than the next and equally important and intellectually valuable.

(Have you read Hughs' "Deaf Children" another I'd strongly recommend)

Annalisee

HSC
champ_sammy_19 said:
I dont think your odd I did standard english in 2003 (did pathways for yr 12) and my text was looking for alibrandi read it over and over and love it
Well that's looking for alibrand, I love that book and would have to trouble reading it over and over again.

They should assign texts that have some significance to those who are reading them. Emma is bullshit.

The year 11 texts weren't that bad, Othello and maestro.

champ_sammy_19

~~~* Munchkin*~~~
HSC
Annalisee said:
Well that's looking for alibrand, I love that book and would have to trouble reading it over and over again.

They should assign texts that have some significance to those who are reading them. Emma is bullshit.

The year 11 texts weren't that bad, Othello and maestro.
I loved looking for alibrandi, i think i read it like 5 or 6 times and by the time exams came around i had managed to memorise most of the book nerdy i know, but I loved the book

Annalisee

HSC
That just shows that having texts that students enjoy and relate to will increase their interest in studying them. Yet we continue to study texts that are either difficult to read and hated by the majority of students

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
I hate Immigrant Chronicles by Peter Skrzynecki.

'Whose life is it anyway?' is COOL.

'Cinema Paradiso' is awesome. (according to my teacher)

x-kendall-x

HSC
Emma is possibly the worst book I have ever attempted to read. It's right up there with bloody Othello and Pygmalion. It would have no plot even if it tried. I just don't think I can force myself to read anymore of it.

Zephyrio said:
Personally, I love Heaney and Skrzynecki.
Skrzynecki is the most bloody depressed person i have ever encountered. Seriously, all his poems are so miserable. I mean, some of them start out quite cheerful eg. A Drive in the Country and to an extent Postcard, and then its as if halfway through he's realised he's happy and suddenly has to become all depressed again.
In short, I can't wait until English Paper One is finished so I never have to hear that stupid word 'journey' again and I can say farewell to Peter Schizophrenic...I mean Skrzynecki, FOREVER!

Annalisee said:
That just shows that having texts that students enjoy and relate to will increase their interest in studying them. Yet we continue to study texts that are either difficult to read and hated by the majority of students
HEAR HEAR...I don't think I've ever had a text in English that I've liked.
I think Frontline will go alright. But once we've finished studying it I'll probably never want to ever watch it again.

The Board of Studies has alot to answer for.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
What are you guys` related materials? Can you choose your own texts? Then that`s not too bad, isn`t it?

morganjane

HSC
hey there all

i kicked off the hsc term four of 2007 and this year im running headlong into it.
texts for english...grrr worthy at time...
area of study: The immigrant chronicle is getting me down.
comparative: emma and clueless (emma is the single most boring book i've ever read)
critical: King lear (and loving it)
representation: Frontline

i just have a question to pose- are there any ideas out there for an Other Related Text for Physical Journeys?
my first one is a film, so i need a book or something...
if you've got any ideas feel free to hit me with them, if not i'll just keep searching!!

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Undermyskin said:
What are you guys` related materials? Can you choose your own texts? Then that`s not too bad, isn`t it?
Yes, you can choose your own texts. Since the stimulus booklet has been phased out in 2008, I'm guessing that we'll have to use at least two of our own related materials to write about in Section III of Paper 1. As for me, my texts are Schindler's List and the Power of One.

Zephyrio

HSC
sleepplease said:
Zephyrio - Have you read Elliot's "The Hollow Men" ? It's one of my favourites.

I agree the Wasteland is a challenge, but perhaps in a few years, on retrospect, aspects of it will appeal to you more. It's definitely not postmodern! It has such a strong sense of poetic self/identity and there's not even much subversion of the structure. I do get your point about fragmentation, but the technique itslf is not po-mo. Postmod fragmention has the intent usually of commenting on the methods of communication and perception - playing with language and expression - Elliot isn't doing that at all.

Oh, don't do post-modernism injustice by labelling it as prose cut up pretending to be poetry! It's just another movement, with another intention, no better or worse than the next and equally important and intellectually valuable.

(Have you read Hughs' "Deaf Children" another I'd strongly recommend)
One of the points on the BOS HSC Marking Centre Notes on EE2 is that too many people opt for "postmodernism" and think that by structuring work in such a way (btw, I wasn't saying that Elliot was being an arse by doing that, I was referring to others who try to produce po-mo work) as "cut up prose" (I love this phrase - mind if I steal it?) they believe that they'll get more marks. Now, I have absolutely no problem with such structure if I can see the rationale behind it - but all too often I see others use it for the sake of using it - it doesn't effectively communicate any ideas, and are just eyesores for markers really. So if it's utilised without intent, it's not equally important/intellectually valuable as the next movement.

I can definitely understand the fragments in BOS Showcase works, well most, but I think that if I need to read the reflection statement to see the intent behind it (if it even mentions it at all!) I think the work hasn't been effective enough - a shortcoming as far as clarity is concerned. Umm what else was I about to say? lol

Personally, Postmodernism doesn't appeal to me that much at all, though when my English teacher asked me what I liked, I said I didn't fancy Modernism too much either (I'm usually much more concerned with how writers/poets explain things, not so much their trademarks which fit in neatly within artistic moments a la the ones I mentioned above.) With doing EE2, I've found that perhaps I am really a product of my time, and more Postmodernist that I had earlier viewed myself. Sometimes, I think that Postmodernist writing is too "scholarly" and "academic" - to prove writing capability and experimentation - which undoubtedly shadows the "story" element to a piece of work in many cases. For example, most books nowadays, though they may deal with issues within the Postmodern framework, the way they express this does not correlate to the Postmodernist movement at all. That's why we see works which, in some ways identify with Postmodernism but are written "palatably" and for readers to digest, not to be confused about. Yes, there are minor sentences and some works may indeed experiment with form and structure, but ultimately, the works I like most tell a good story - what is the use of a story if it is clouded with convoluted language, or written beautifully but has no storyline!!?!? The ONE Postmodern book which I have enjoyed is Arundhati Roy's The God of Small Things - if you haven't had a look, maybe you'll enjoy it as much as I did. ^_^

And thank you for your suggestions :shy: I might get around to reading some Elliot later.

Last edited:

hjp.

HSC
We did Frontline in term 4, and I loved watching it, I just didn't enjoy the actual work on it.
I don't know why, I didn't do as well as I should have in the assessment task for it.
But other than that it was ok.

We're doing Brave New World/Bladerunner and I really would have preferred Emma/Clueless but there's not much I can do about it really.
I 've already read BNW, and i thought it would be reaaally bad, because i cannot stand anything related to Science Fiction, but it was actually pretty interresting, although a little strange (ok, alot strange)

We're also doing The Tempest (which I haven't read yet) and Gwen Harwood which we haven't done yet.

And for Extension 1 we're doing Speculative Fiction, already read The Handmaids Tale and I really loved it
But I'm dreading reading Dune, sounds completely mind-numbing

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
I actually don't mind Skrzynecki's Immigrant Chronicle all that much. Apparently he's quite a character (I don't mean this in a positive sense) in real life though :eek:.
My two related texts for Physical Journeys are The Arrival (by Shaun Tan) and Seven Years in Tibet.

We're doing Henry Lawson, Billy Elliot, and the Shoe-Horn Sonata for the modules.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Can I use the texts from other courses as related materials? Eg Can I use the prescribed texts for Advanced Students as related materials?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
For your related materials, they cannot be chosen from any of the Advanced, Standard or ESL AoS booklist. However, you can still choose some of the texts used in Modules A, B and C of Advanced + Standard.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Sure, why not. As long as they related to Imaginative Journeys and aren't on the English AoS booklist, it'll be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)