Does anything actually exist? (1 Viewer)

wagig

HSC
Hi, I read Hamlet today and have come to a new conclusion I don't think any famous critics have come to yet. The play is all about not existing. Now hear me out, I don't mean that the play doesn't exist, I only mean that its about not existing. I emailed my teacher as soon as I had my stroke of brilliance but she told me to calm down and i deserve a break cause english trials just finished today. Since i didn't get anything useful out of her, what are everyones thoughts? (and i'm ok if you use this idea in the actual HSC since we aren't in the same area if you get what i mean) - i personally am still in shock at how smart i am to think of this idea

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
Provide textual evidence and analysis of ur theory

wagig

HSC
Well its more of a conceptual thing, not really in the book obviously, it an idea that results from when u think about it, do you get what I mean?
I get the feeling that my teacher was just jealous, if u get what I mean? like its like the way she told me to have a break is because she wants me to be unprepared so she can take the idea herself, if u get what i mean, shes gonna give future classes band 6 with my idea?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The nature of existence is well trodden territory in post-modern and post-dramatic stagings of Hamlet. The fragmentary use of text in Heiner Muller's Hamletmachine (which you can find on google) for example. Or the radical restaging by Peter Brook as Qui Es La.

wagig

HSC
The nature of existence is well trodden territory in post-modern and post-dramatic stagings of Hamlet. The fragmentary use of text in Heiner Muller's Hamletmachine (which you can find on google) for example. Or the radical restaging by Peter Brook as Qui Es La.
Oh ok, that's what i was thinking more or less... but like moreso then the nature of existence, more like nothing existing at all? I don't feel like i'm being clear enough, does anyone get what i mean?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Oh ok, that's what i was thinking more or less... but like moreso then the nature of existence, more like nothing existing at all? I don't feel like i'm being clear enough, does anyone get what i mean?
I get what you mean, and I don't have any critics on the top of my head to point you to. But, you have to be able to support this with textual evidence and examples from the play. Just having an idea about the play, while totally useful if you're interesting in staging the work with that as a central theme, isn't going to do you any good for HSC English.

wagig

HSC
I get what you mean, and I don't have any critics on the top of my head to point you to. But, you have to be able to support this with textual evidence and examples from the play. Just having an idea about the play, while totally useful if you're interesting in staging the work with that as a central theme, isn't going to do you any good for HSC English.
I was thinking like maybe "O what a noble mind is here o'erthrown", cause its kinda showing how Hamlet doesn't exist, its all like in his mind or something; i'm not really sure i haven't thought of evidence yet it was just an idea that came to me and i felt deep down that it would be one of those things where the marker would go 'wow that's a unique idea i think he deserves a 17' or something, you know?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I was thinking like maybe "O what a noble mind is here o'erthrown", cause its kinda showing how Hamlet doesn't exist, its all like in his mind or something; i'm not really sure i haven't thought of evidence yet it was just an idea that came to me and i felt deep down that it would be one of those things where the marker would go 'wow that's a unique idea i think he deserves a 17' or something, you know?
When it comes down to it, the marks are in the evidence, and how you tie that to your ideas. Strong links are far more important that a unique idea.

I'm not saying don't pursue it; and I'm sure that's academic sources that would support such a reading. But it's not going to be easy, and you may be better off spending time elsewhere.

wagig

HSC
When it comes down to it, the marks are in the evidence, and how you tie that to your ideas. Strong links are far more important that a unique idea.

I'm not saying don't pursue it; and I'm sure that's academic sources that would support such a reading. But it's not going to be easy, and you may be better off spending time elsewhere.
Okay thank for your advice, i am glad :smile:

senorceepa

HSC
Here are some other bold concepts for you:
- Hamlet is the son of Claudius
- The Ghost and Horatio are not real, instead they are Hamlet's Angel and Demon.

And my personal favorite:
- The Ghost, Hamlet and Horatio are representations of the id, ego and super-ego

I have heaps of textual evidence to support these... I just need to find them again. Planned on using these ideas but got lazy and decided not to pursue them.

theomen131

HSC
N/A
i believe hamlet is the quintessential illumanati figure shown through his extentalist nihilism. To be or not to be translates to act or not to act which translates to the illuminatis codes for whether to act in the world or not to act. Their code of terms are actually embodied by hamlet. thus shakespeare is an illumanati founder, who created the rules for whether the illuminati should affect things in the world

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)