does assessment mark really matter or just rank? (1 Viewer)

DiValdez

HSC
just curious to know if assessment mark really matters?

if i get 70/100 and end up coming first? does it matter as long as I've come first
(school rank in 400s)

egnaro315

HSC
Marks don't matter. It is your rank that determines your final internal mark. If you come first, your internal mark will be the mark of the person who came first in the hsc examination while you keep your external mark.

yasminee96

HSC
My class did really well for MX1 and i was ranked 14/18
my internal mark was 69 and the top mark was 99...

I got 94 by putting every ounce of effort into the HSC exam :)

If your class isnt strong and you're not doing well though, there's a huge risk u won't do well

However, if you're first with that mark and you want (for example) 95 as your hsc mark, you need to get 95 on your HSC exam.

That's because, if the 5th highest mark achieved in the HSC by your class was 90, and you are ranked fifth in your class due to your internal mark, your internal mark will become 90 :)

not sure if that's clear enough haha?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Relative gaps in the marks between ranks matter, but the actual mark itself does not.

Mrkingofstuff

HSC
Marks don't matter. It is your rank that determines your final internal mark. If you come first, your internal mark will be the mark of the person who came first in the hsc examination while you keep your external mark.
I have heard this (only ranks matter, 1st rank gets 1st exam mark); as well as your assessment mark being worth 50% of your final HSC mark, after moderation and alignment. I really am confused at which scenario is correct, and would appreciate any clarification.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I have heard this (only ranks matter, 1st rank gets 1st exam mark); as well as your assessment mark being worth 50% of your final HSC mark, after moderation and alignment. I really am confused at which scenario is correct, and would appreciate any clarification.
The first one is correct, but gaps in ranks also matter and in addition to 1st getting highest exam mark last also gets the lowest. The second one is also correct but potentially misleading, because when your assesment mark goes through the moderation process effectively the mark itself is of no relevance - just ranks and relative gaps.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I think you have left out a step in the process.

Your assessment marks at school determine the mark that is sent into the BOS. From these marks the BOS determines your rank within your school cohort. This rank, and the gaps between the ranks, along with the final HSC exam marks from your school determines your final internal mark.

So does the assessment mark matter - yes - because you need that mark to determine both your rank and the gap betwen yourself and those around you, unless you come first at your school as then the gaps won't matter.

itguy

HSC
N/A
Your final results are used to calculate your ATAR which is a ranking of all NSW students from top to less than top. If you get around 70 as a final mark in all your subjects your ATAR will be less than 60. On the other hand if your final marks average 80 you can expect an ATAR of 80+ which gets you into a lot of uni courses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)