Does cramming work? Tell your stories and experiences. (1 Viewer)

NoIdea77

HSC
My trials start monday and while I've done well throughout the near I haven't started preparing anything besides a bit of english and have to resort to cramming heaps as of tomorrow. Just wondering how people have found it and if it's worked for you. I'll only have about 1-2 days a subject so I'm hoping it'll be alright.

kittystar

HSC
This year I have not stopped cramming due to my procrastinatory nature, and it hasn't let me down so far.
However, for my trials starting Monday I am for the first time quite worried at how I will go... I think I left it too late this time.

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
This year I have not stopped cramming due to my procrastinatory nature, and it hasn't let me down so far.
However, for my trials starting Monday I am for the first time quite worried at how I will go... I think I left it too late this time.

It's never too late. Just make sure you have a solid understanding of the syllabus and you're prepared.

sweatygirl

HSC
Cramming sometimes work, but only if you have subjects with that are not too content heavy. But try not to cram in the future as it puts too much stress on you too learn the content.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
My friend crammed first sem of med in stuvac and got 82. Lol

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I find that cramming works for everything EXCEPT maths.

Lul

HSC
Cramming = worked for me.

Got 90% + in Chem half yearly
Got 91/93 in Biology assessment which i practically studied for in the two days leading up for it :)))

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Crammed in uni, nek minnit - HDs.

lolwot

HSC
It works, but your relative success would depend largely on your school, i.e if it was high or low ranked. Also during the duration of your cramming you will be stressed, exhausted mentally and physically. At least for me, it served as a lesson to really get into gear for the HSC.

Also... it doesn't work for maths.

bedpotato

HSC
Same for me. I crammed from biology trial, and I'm really scared I've screwed it up. It wasn't that I didn't know the content, but I wasn't in the right mindset, and so, I made heaps of silly mistakes and didn't know how to answer most of the questions. :cry:

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
My trials start monday and while I've done well throughout the near I haven't started preparing anything besides a bit of english and have to resort to cramming heaps as of tomorrow. Just wondering how people have found it and if it's worked for you. I'll only have about 1-2 days a subject so I'm hoping it'll be alright.
Lol. I'm in this situation too, because you've done well throughout the year you just need to revise.

Fly try the revision and hit the past papers

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I have a theory that the less time you have to study, the more efficient you are at studying. This could be due to complacency or forgetting things if you start too early and/or forcing yourself to pick up your game when there is less time left to study. However this needs to balance with the amount of content you can handle when you are at your optimal studying efficiency.

I personally can cram Maths much better than any other subject because it is less content heavy and more focused on applying the theory rather than regurgitating stuff. In other words, understanding the theory well is sufficient and it is just a matter of knowing how to use it. Subjects like English and Biology on the other hand require recall of large amounts of information (as opposed to Maths which is more of a recall of formulas) and often they are not simply things you can just logically deduce and hence took up much more of my time.

NoIdea77

HSC
Oh this is all encouraging haha. All other threads people talking about the weeks leading up to exams and how much they studied and how there should be no break between trails and HSC.

Heres another question, what are your methods for cramming and for what subjects? My main worries are chemistry and physics. Is it worth cramming notes into two days or is it better to read and do practice questions?

kittystar

HSC
Oh this is all encouraging haha. All other threads people talking about the weeks leading up to exams and how much they studied and how there should be no break between trails and HSC.

Heres another question, what are your methods for cramming and for what subjects? My main worries are chemistry and physics. Is it worth cramming notes into two days or is it better to read and do practice questions?
Do practise questions with your notes next to you in case you need to refer but the more practical experience you can get the more prepared you will be for exam questions

hope14

HSC
I am usually not a crammer. It doesn't usually work for me. But for Trials I literally did not study at all for Economics until the night before and pulled a 95% :S Still not entirely sure how that happened haha

ACI

HSC
Cramming works well for some people but it involves a lot of stress! Can be done more efficiently with less stress and in less time
Use flashcards rather than just reading off a page if you are still intent on cramming. If you would like more advice to prepare for the actual HSC exams contact her ---> http://fiverr.com/despina_g/provide-online-coaching-for-hsc-exams
Sessions are only $5 so you might as well give it a go and she's an expert when it comes to all thing HSC and life afterwards

Feel free to PM if you have more questions :)

STEFAN1000

HSC
Year 11 geography major i crammed a powerpoint presentation, speech and report all in one night. ended up getting a final mark of 29/30. i don't suggest you cram it's never going to work 100% especially when it comes to examinations. I'm in year 12 no i don't intend on cramming stuff the night before anymore :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)