• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (3 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
but why does it need to be challenged to begin with?
Because when people start believing in something that isn't true, then eventually reality catches up with them. There is also other results for believing in different things, generally tho religions are the most powerful beliefs.

What do you believe is going to happen once the whole world is convinced that god doesn't exist? Will there finally be peace and harmony in this world?
No of course not, there are always more problems to address. Addressing them however beings to lead us down a path towards more peace and harmony.

btw out of curiosity, I wanted to know why you're so concerned about other people's believes?
You seem like a broken recorder, i've explained this before. Their beliefs affect other people, including me.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
No of course not, there are always more problems to address. Addressing them however beings to lead us down a path towards more peace and harmony.
Although a world totally devoid of religion might be a wee tad unwise, I most definatley, wholeheartedly agree with this.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well I don't think just one day everyone waking up with no faith would be a good thing, but I do think if we were to begin proper education to allow people to find things out for themselves, if that did lead us to a world with no religion (I'm not going to claim it necessarily would) then that would be a good thing imo.

<3 UIC.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
There is suffering in this world, and it is quite often the one's who suffer the most who have the most faith.
By the way, just to add to this comment. Have you ever considered that the reason why they're suffering so much could be tied into their faith, not the other way around? Superstition and really quite radical religious beliefs plague the people of Africa :)

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Why does it seems like religion have the majority sharehold in Stupidty Inc.?

Relevant article on Christians and money:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...ke-dont-keep-it/2006/07/03/1151778873593.html

I agree that not everyone should lose their 'religion'. Alot of people would go insane and lose all hope in their existence if they did. We need some of these people to be productive in their ignorant bliss.

Last edited:

Weeping Brook

HSC
Anyone heard of Pascal's Wager? It's a good argument.

Ontology is crap.

God exists because we don't want to inexist after we die.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
sam04u said:
You've probably heard this story but I'll repeat it.

First with some lyrics,

'This is what an old man told me,
Filthy Rich and dying lonely,
Fuck a Benz and Fuck a Roady
Life is what you make it Homie'

Everyone is dealt a different hand, it's upto you how you play them.

There is an atheist man who lives in england, and he walks into a Barber and asks for the regular hair cut, 'short around the edges and a few inches of the top', so the Barber begins cutting his hair and they have a conversation as usual, the Atheist man then started rambling about his beliefs and had a convincing argument. He said, 'If god exists then why do some people suffer and others don't? why do people who don't deserve to suffer have terrible lives?'. The Barber didn't have an answer... he couldnt respond to the mans question and just continued cutting the hair thinking. After a few more minutes, he completed cutting the Mans hair and the man went to the register and paid for the hair cut. On his way out he murmured "Think about it". Suddenly, the Barber thought of something and ran out of his shop and shouted "Wait...WAIT!", so the man waited and the Barber ran out towards him. The Barber then said, "There are no Barbers in the world", He continued "If there were Barbers then why does that man over there", (Points at a Homeless man, wrapped in a brown Blanket and holding a $20 Bottle of Whisky, the Man has Long Messy hair and a Long Unshaven Beard) "Have messy hair? Surely If a Barber Existed he would cut his hair!", The Atheist snapped "That's absurd, ofcourse the man would have to come to you, not the other way round", to which the Barber Smiled, and the Atheist's face was dumfounded, he was startled, the Barber then Reasoned with the Atheist, "You have to 'Come' to god, not the other way around".

-The End.
what crap. the moral of this story seems to imply that world hunger would cease to exist if only the starving would pray to god. are you seriously telling me that everyone who prays to god has all their problems solved?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
crazyhomo said:
are you seriously telling me that everyone who prays to god has all their problems solved?
I'm sure that prayer could help even a crazyhomo such as yourself.

K

katie_tully

This thread is the one thing on BOS that forces me to take extended breaks.

It makes me laugh. Then it makes me cry. Then it makes me very angry, so angry I get to the point where I can't take any more, and for sanities sake I must stay within 587436964 yards of a computer at all times.

H

hilaryv

Frankly, although I respect people who are able to have faith in something that they really don't have any real, decisive proof about, I personally find it difficult to believe that there is a god, or gods. People say that ancient societies created gods and mythological figures of worship in an attempt to explain their presence on earth and the working of things etc., and this is how I feel about the god/s people worship today and has been said in previous posts, many people worship in the fear of what happens (if anything happens) after death and also for a way to rid themselves of guilt/ sins (because god forgives all who are repentent etc.). I attend a catholic school and yet for me and I know several other students who feel the same way, there are just too many unanswered question and lack of proof for us to believe.

But each to their own, I suppose, lol.

kobz

HSC
you looking if god exists??? look at urself
how did you ever come into existance, u didnt just randoming come out of nowhere...

this universe had a begining and it is scienifically proven by most if not all scientests, so there had 2 be a suprem originator i.e. God the all mighty for anything 2 start....4 example... if u had a group of people in the army and they all say that they wont attack until the person next 2 them starts to attack, we anything ever happen??? u need a beginning 2 produce something

anoder thing is wat happens when u die??? why cant u be repaired n have life in you again...wat left you??????? if it aint the soul wat is it???

also all you people do is agrue stuff that christians say n their bible...they arent the only ppl believing in god, they might be the majority but doesnt mean they are right...my friends i advise you 2 look in Islam...its the strongest monothesit religion and the fastest growin religion in the world....(for a reason) islam isnt all about just having faith n following your fathers...God tells people in the Quran (the islamic holy book) to search 4 him n you ur brains and 2 not just follow ur fathers steps.....

dont u dare deny the existance of God if u are ignorant bcuz ur dealing with the most important thing in ya life!!!

kobz

HSC
not angry just sheading some light about the truth ;)

im not forcing anything on any1 i carely said

dont u dare deny the existance of God IF YOU ARE IGNORANT

meaning people have no full understanding n knowledge be4 rejecting God which is wrong...why u in such a hurry 2 reject God?? does it hurt you?? lol

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
How i see the whole concept of God and such is that when you pray, God gives you faith, hence gives you power to do whatever you want to achieve. But really it's just you having faith in yourself, trying hard for it and get what you want...

Someone in one of those earliest posts says church provides the gathering ground for christians, but don't you think that's just like excluding non-christians?
I've heard a christian who was sad and helpless when her friends are non-christians cos she knows that they won't be able to go to heaven...

So now what? You don't believe in God then you're not good enough to go to heaven; if you believe in God but don't go to church god will punish you...

And also can someone answer this question? -> I was chatting to someone about relationships and God and he said apparently christians should go out (or better) with christians, not non-christians...Really? :S

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
lol dude if you actually read EVERY page of this thread it should have answered or at least discussed all of your questions.

For instance, when you die your heart stops and your brain loses its energy source (oxygen, sugars, electrolytes) so it would simply stop thinking.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
you looking if god exists??? look at urself
how did you ever come into existance, u didnt just randoming come out of nowhere...
I can fill in a whole bunch of the holes with some decent evidence, starting with my parents and going back to the beginning (if there was such a thing) of the universe. Supplementing a supernatural explanation doesn't cut it for me, particularily because not any 1 is greater than another.

this universe had a begining and it is scienifically proven by most if not all scientests
It's not proven, but yes... at the moment most scientists feel that the universe had a beginning.

so there had 2 be a suprem originator
If your definition of God is 'the thing that began the universe and nothing else' then fine, I don't really have much of a problem with that other than that it stretches the common-held definition of God to the point where it could encompass near anything.

u need a beginning 2 produce something
Why does that beginning have to be from the hands of a sentient being? We had our begining as organisms on earth through natural processes, why not the universe?

also all you people do is agrue stuff that christians say n their bible
Yes, we'll often bring up the bible and focus on christianity... why? Because that's what we've had the most exposure to. No one has the time to learn intricate details of all religions. Essentially tho, they're all the same... just as even if you had never been to 'hungry jacks' as it is a fast food resturant, you get a basic idea of what it is.

my friends i advise you 2 look in Islam...its the strongest monothesit religion and the fastest growin religion in the world....(for a reason)
Yes, islam is popular in african countries with huge population growth as they are poor. Christianity is more popular in richer nations with low population growth.

Religions grow (ignoring any religious persecution, something that is rife in islam) essentially just from their adherants having alot of kids. The reason for this is that what ideals/religion/etc your parents have, you generally grow to have. You've tried to assert that the main reason Islam is growing is because people have found it to be 'stronger', which I'm afraid is simply wrong.

God tells people in the Quran (the islamic holy book) to search 4 him n you ur brains and 2 not just follow ur fathers steps.....
Perhaps so, but what a holy book says and how the adherants of a religion practice it, are two different things. In numerous muslim-majority nations, other religions are persecuted and stopped from spreading their word, we see the exact same growth with islam that we see with all religions... essentially, it has nothing/very little to do with the quality of your religion.

dont u dare deny the existance of God if u are ignorant bcuz ur dealing with the most important thing in ya life!!!
You are ignorant of 500000 other religions, how dare you deny the existance of THEIR god?

gerhard

HSC
i honestly have no idea how you have the patience, not-that-bright

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)