• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (3 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
It only takes me a few minutes to reply and at least then in this thread visited by curious highschool students, every time a believer has made a statement or a claim there has been an answer from the other side of the debate.

kobz

HSC
look since God created you, made you wat u are 2day, dnt u think hed want abit of recognistion... imagine those ppl that dnt, that dnt care wat rules he has set 2 us aand that dnt even mention him....dnt u think God will be angryy!!

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
look since God created you, made you wat u are 2day, dnt u think hed want abit of recognistion...
look since Jesus created you, made you wat u are 2day, dnt u think hed want abit of recognistion...

look since the lifeforce created you, made you wat u are 2day, dnt u think hed want abit of recognistion...

look since Allah created you, made you wat u are 2day, dnt u think hed want abit of recognistion...

look since Jehova created you, made you wat u are 2day, dnt u think hed want abit of recognistion...

look since Zeus created you, made you wat u are 2day, dnt u think hed want abit of recognistion...

look since Odin created you, made you wat u are 2day, dnt u think hed want abit of recognistion...

look since Huitzipocolli created you, made you wat u are 2day, dnt u think hed want abit of recognistion...

look since I created you, made you wat u are 2day, dnt u think I want abit of recognistion...

You get it? Starting to suspect a troll.

kobz

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
look since Jesus created you, made you wat u are 2day, dnt u think hed want abit of recognistion...

look since the lifeforce created you, made you wat u are 2day, dnt u think hed want abit of recognistion...

look since Allah created you, made you wat u are 2day, dnt u think hed want abit of recognistion...

look since Jehova created you, made you wat u are 2day, dnt u think hed want abit of recognistion...

look since Zeus created you, made you wat u are 2day, dnt u think hed want abit of recognistion...

look since Odin created you, made you wat u are 2day, dnt u think hed want abit of recognistion...

look since Huitzipocolli created you, made you wat u are 2day, dnt u think hed want abit of recognistion...

look since I created you, made you wat u are 2day, dnt u think I want abit of recognistion...

You get it? Starting to suspect a troll.
look there is only 1 God , dnt give me bull about other religions, u bring me proof that my religion Islam is wrong then start with ur stories

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
Eh, either agnosticism or atheism are the most sensible beliefs to hold in this world. Religious people have a disturbing tendency to stop questioning things, citing that "God works in mysterious ways" bullshit. I'm an agnostic, personally, just because I'm not yet cynical enough to call myself an atheist. There are some spheres of knowledge in which human reason is out of its depth - theology is one of those.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
c_james said:
Eh, either agnosticism or atheism are the most sensible beliefs to hold in this world. Religious people have a disturbing tendency to stop questioning things, citing that "God works in mysterious ways" bullshit. I'm an agnostic, personally, just because I'm not yet cynical enough to call myself an atheist. There are some spheres of knowledge in which human reason is out of its depth - theology is one of those.
Well I don't need to, because I know that there is only 1 God and I am he - all other religions are wrong until I am proven to not be god.

I'm an agnostic, personally, just because I'm not yet cynical enough to call myself an atheist.
It'll come ;)

kobz

HSC
c_james said:

God my friend isnt in ur domain, ppl like u have a tendacy 2 bring him in ur domain. wat dnt u believe about God??? wat makes u think somthin is wrong??

kobz

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Well I don't need to, because I know that there is only 1 God and I am he - all other religions are wrong until I am proven to not be god.

It'll come ;)

did you create anythin my friend??? wats soo special about u??? are u infinat???

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
God my friend isnt in ur domain, ppl like u have a tendacy 2 bring him in ur domain. wat dnt u believe about God??? wat makes u think somthin is wrong??
There's no need for God as so far everything I've encountered has turned out to be a part of the natural world. God very well may exist, but as I have not yet reached your enlightened state - I have no reason to believe in his existance, thus for me he doesn't exist. Just as Santa Claus, the Easter bunny and the Tooth Fairy may exist, but I am yet to have sufficient evidence for their existance... so for me they don't.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
kobz said:
Errrr...you've just proved my point. I specifically said that God, if such an entity does indeed exist, is something about which humans can not possibly have any knowledge whatsoever. Agnosticism holds this as its fundamental tenet. I profess that the question of whether or not God exists is unanswerable. Further, if God does exist, he/she/it is clearly non-interventionist, so the question of the existence of such an entity is mostly academic, not practical.

kobz

HSC
Thats were religion comes into play....do u actuclyy think that God will create everything that he has including his most greatest creation the humans and not direct them or talk 2 them or even tell them that he is there????

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
There's no need for God as so far everything I've encountered has turned out to be a part of the natural world. God very well may exist, but as I have not yet reached your enlightened state - I have no reason to believe in his existance, thus for me he doesn't exist. Just as Santa Claus, the Easter bunny and the Tooth Fairy may exist, but I am yet to have sufficient evidence for their existance... so for me they don't.
Heh...you may very well be more agnostic than you think ;)

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
kobz said:
Thats were religion comes into play....do u actuclyy think that God will create everything that he has including his most greatest creation the humans and not direct them or talk 2 them or even tell them that he is there????
Please cite one example of confirmed divine intervention that does not date back approximately 2000 years, to a time where "divine revelation" could mean anything to a people living in a primitive backwater.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well I am. I'm agnostic about everything, the truth is, I accept (as you do I'd guess) that there is nothing which we can know for certain. Therefore, God et al may exist, but as no evidence for such a being has yet to reach me - I do not exist. I do not know what the objective reality is, I only have what is the best knowledge I have at the time, to form my conception of reality. As far as I know, there are no Blue lions in Africa, so, at the moment - that is truth. However of course, it could always change, there could be a blue lion in africa - but only in the light of new evidence.

I don't think any 'serious' atheists believe that we can be 100% certain that God does not exist. We're just, as you put it before, a much more cynical agnostic :)

kobz

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Well I am. I'm agnostic about everything, the truth is, I accept (as you do I'd guess) that there is nothing which we can know for certain. Therefore, God et al may exist, but as no evidence for such a being has yet to reach me - I do not exist. I do not know what the objective reality is, I only have what is the best knowledge I have at the time, to form my conception of reality. As far as I know, there are no Blue lions in Africa, so, at the moment - that is truth. However of course, it could always change, there could be a blue lion in africa - but only in the light of new evidence.

I don't think any 'serious' atheists believe that we can be 100% certain that God does not exist. We're just, as you put it before, a much more cynical agnostic :)
soo you except 2 just site der and wait till u die 2 find the truth???? hey 4 all i know n every oder religion's believes ud be goin 2 hell 4 not believin in him n rejectin him.....come on seriously have u studyed any major religions 2 say they are wrong??????

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
kobz said:
manyy my friend...here is 1...a tree was found in sydney not that long agoo in the state of worship ( the way in islam ) n also its facing directly towards the Kaaba ( the only place you u ment 2 face when praying i.e the Kaaba that house of God )

here is reference 2 it and a picture

http://www.faithfreedom.org/Articles/sina40928p5.htm
I don't even have to click on that link to form a reply: Occam's Razor. The chain of logic requiring the least assumptions and conjecture is almost always the most correct one. Divine intervention involves a lot of conjecture. This is no miracle, not to me, anyway. Agnosticism, in all its variants of differing cynicism, reigns supreme.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
We can definitely say many thanks to whatever initiated the universe, but our own existence as humans didn't just spontaneously appeared because of a direct relationship with whatever initiated the universe.

They are seperate things, god didn't create humans.

You are what you are, our parents created us and their parents created them and so on.

There is nothing super-natural in being alive, it's very natural in fact.

The "rules of god", are merely obvious logical rules of society that are common-sense.

Even with these "rules", people of differring religions reckons that their religion are the most supreme. I'm not talking everyone but some as the Israeli vs Saudi battle.

The bottom-line is, we can't detect the "initiator" of the universe nor can we ask it to come around to the pub to have a chat. Therefore it's hard to argue whether it does exist.

EDIT: The picture of that tree doesn't prove that it's pointing at the north-west (or whatever it's meant to be). You only see it from the side, for all we know it could be pointing in any direction.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
a grainy photo, of a tree, that looks a bit like someone praying... and people claim it faces towards kaaba (I'm guessing just whether it's facing the right direction north/south/east/west... so there's a 1 in 4 chance).

amazing.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

soo you except 2 just site der and wait till u die 2 find the truth???? hey 4 all i know n every oder religion's believes ud be goin 2 hell 4 not believin in him n rejectin him.....come on seriously have u studyed any major religions 2 say they are wrong??????
No I'm going to live my mortal life, enjoying mortal pleasures, the same as you will. As for studying religions, I have a decent idea about all the monotheistic religions, mainly christianity tho (went to a christian school). I've spoken at long ends with some muslims who are students at various islamic schools also, so I've got a decent idea about Islam also.

However, I essentially reject all claims until I have sufficient evidence. Some claims require very little evidence, others require alot. :)

Last edited:

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
kobz said:
Any God that damns people to hell for not believing in him is no God to me. If anything, a real God would respect atheists and agnostics, for they're the only ones making full use of the mental capacities he gave to them - those very capacities which prompt them to question the world around them. Let's assume for a second that God does exist. If I lead a good life, and treat people with respect and dignity, why should I be damned to hell simply for not "believing" by fronting up to Church every Sunday, or a Mosque every Friday? No, I think I'll take my chances and avoid the whole religious fundamentalism route. I value the ability to think freely over having my thoughts and actions constrained by a god-fearing mentality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)