• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

SamTan*06*

All alone in a memory! I was beautiful theeeen....
HSC
I was trying to prove to littlewing69 the need of Jesus and the need to have faith in the Holy Trinity; the need of love; and that there is some truth and perhaps necessity to the "happy-clappy American crap".
littlewing69 also asked me if i thought that a non-Christainwould go to Hell because he didn't believe in my God. I said that it's for God to decide, not me...That's what judgement is all about.

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
Biblical quotes don't back up your argument.

They are totally redundant.

Now please answer the following questions:

Where Adam and Eve around before or after the dinosaurs?

Did god create life in other parts of the universe? Did Jesus die for them as well, or did they get their own son of god?

People who are in remote communities with no contact with the outside world (Such as primitive societies in the New Guinea highlands), are they going to go to hell because they don't believe in god, even though no one has ever told them about him?

robbie1

HSC
SamTan*06* said:
I was trying to prove to littlewing69 the need of Jesus and the need to have faith in the Holy Trinity; the need of love; and that there is some truth and perhaps necessity to the "happy-clappy American crap".
littlewing69 also asked me if i thought that a non-Christainwould go to Hell because he didn't believe in my God. I said that it's for God to decide, not me...That's what judgement is all about.
Thats a nice thing to do. But dont do it on an internet forum. You will just be mocked and ridiculed. Not to worry, becasue as Jesus said, "they rejected me, so they will also reject you."

As Christians we do need to try to lead others to Jesus, because humanity will not have peace until it turns to him. But do it through your actions, your example. Let others see how Jesus is working within you. Love your neighbour, help the poor etc.

Also, its very important to pray for those who do not know Jesus. A little prayer for them will go a very long way. Because, above all, God is merciful and loving. He will not refuse a prayer that truly comes from the heart.

Just out of interest, which denomination do you belong to?

SamTan*06*

HSC
Egronk said:
Biblical quotes don't back up your argument.

They are totally redundant.

Now please answer the following questions:

Where Adam and Eve around before or after the dinosaurs?

Did god create life in other parts of the universe? Did Jesus die for them as well, or did they get their own son of god?

People who are in remote communities with no contact with the outside world (Such as primitive societies in the New Guinea highlands), are they going to go to hell because they don't believe in god, even though no one has ever told them about him?
What do dinosaurs have to do with anything?

PLEASE take note when I say WETHER PEOPLE OF OTHER FAITHS GO TO HELL OR NOT IS NOT FOR ME OR ANYOTHER PERSON TO DECIDE; THAT IS WHAT JUDGEMENT IS ALL ABOUT!!!!

Which quote had nothing to do with my point?

cheesman

HSC
in the bible in the creation story, animals were made before humans.
dinosaurs are animals so there you go

oh, and btw jesus died for everyone so if life exists elsewhere he died for them too
. its up to us to preach the message
but if they NEVER hear anything at all about God, we can only have no idea as to wat would happen. its up to God.

phatic

HSC
Hmmm. Did anyone see on TV the lady who recieved the stigmata? I think this would be the closest thing to proof, though it still requires a leap of faith. Other than that, I don't see how arguments could either prove or disprove God's existence, so I will stay out of it.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
in the bible in the creation story, animals were made before humans.
dinosaurs are animals so there you go
Wow. That's all I needed, hows bout you guys?

Hmmm. Did anyone see on TV the lady who recieved the stigmata? I think this would be the closest thing to proof
Err what... that in uncontrolled conditions some wounds are recorded as being on a woman? I AM A BELEEVER.

L

littlewing69

That's a cop-out. I'm not asking if YOU would condemn people, I just want to know whether your God condemns people of the "wrong" religion, from your study of scripture and doctrine.

robbie1 said:
Thats a nice thing to do. But dont do it on an internet forum. You will just be mocked and ridiculed. Not to worry, becasue as Jesus said, "they rejected me, so they will also reject you."

volition

arr.
HSC
littlewing69 said:
That's a cop-out. I'm not asking if YOU would condemn people, I just want to know whether your God condemns people of the "wrong" religion, from your study of scripture and doctrine.
Nice image!! I like!

L

littlewing69

SamTan*06* said:
*sigh* I told you, it's not for ME to decide.

Your picture is funny. I totally agree!!
It's not about deciding. What do you believe? This is a fundamental issue of Christian doctrine, you must have some sort of opinion on what happens.

SamTan*06*

HSC
littlewing69 said:
It's not about deciding. What do you believe? This is a fundamental issue of Christian doctrine, you must have some sort of opinion on what happens.
Ok, fine. I believe that a person not of the Christian faith is judged according to how they lived their lives eg were they true to their friends and partner/s, did they murder people, did they commit adultery, did they not care about anyone other than themselves, did they ever try to help some one out in any circumstance and how often, did they waste their life, did they ever do any sort of repentance (as in asking themselves why did they do that, or apologising to people they hurt), did they ever realise that they weren't perfect and woundered how they could make themselves better for the people around them (as in stop bitching and insultng people), etc......

L

littlewing69

SamTan*06* said:
Ok, fine. I believe that a person not of the Christian faith is judged according to how they lived their lives eg were they true to their friends and partner/s, did they murder people, did they commit adultery, did they not care about anyone other than themselves, did they ever try to help some one out in any circumstance and how often, did they waste their life, did they ever do any sort of repentance (as in asking themselves why did they do that, or apologising to people they hurt), did they ever realise that they weren't perfect and woundered how they could make themselves better for the people around them (as in stop bitching and insultng people), etc......

Which begs the question....why be a Christian?

webby234

HSC
N/A
SamTan*06* said:
Doesn't that contradict several bible verses eg
John 3:18 "whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son."

John 14:6: "Jesus answered: 'No one comes to the Father except through me'"

volition

arr.
HSC
SamTan*06* said:
Because we don't know that God exists (or even have a good idea that he does) and we can't observe his actions(supposed actions that is) on earth.

SamTan*06*

HSC
webby234 said:
Doesn't that contradict several bible verses eg
John 3:18 "whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son."

John 14:6: "Jesus answered: 'No one comes to the Father except through me'"
I was asked what do I believe. God loves all of His children, so I believe that he judges them before whatever happens next

Because we don't know that God exists (or even have a good idea that he does) and we can't observe his actions(supposed actions that is) on earth.
Isn't that the whole thing about religion? Believing and having comfort and faith in the divine? Okay...next part is the last thing I put in this threds EVER!!!

WHO CARES if God exisits. People who believe in a God, or Gods dont hurt anyone! (its the cults that do it) Instead, they have a privat comfort in the idea that everything will be okay, because there is someone, or something watching over them. And if you don't believe, that's good too. Its what ever you are happy with.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Obviously people care, religion is the basis for many events on this planet.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
SamTan*06* said:
WHO CARES if God exisits. People who believe in a God, or Gods dont hurt anyone! (its the cults that do it) Instead, they have a privat comfort in the idea that everything will be okay, because there is someone, or something watching over them. And if you don't believe, that's good too. Its what ever you are happy with.
While there is the matter of what beliefs make you happy one still cannot deny that inner beliefs have an effect on the outside world. This brief parable by William Clifford helps to illustrate the danger of false beliefs:

"A shipowner was about to send to sea an emigrant-ship. He knew that she was old, and not overwell built at the first; that she had seen many seas and climes, and often had needed repairs. Doubts had been suggested to him that possibly she was not seaworthy. These doubts preyed upon his mind, and made him unhappy; he thought that perhaps he ought to have her thoroughly overhauled and and refitted, even though this should put him at great expense. Before the ship sailed, however, he succeeded in overcoming these melancholy reflections. He said to himself that she had gone safely through so many voyages and weathered so many storms that it was idle to suppose she would not come safely home from this trip also. He would put his trust in Providence, which could hardly fail to protect all these unhappy families that were leaving their fatherland to seek for better times elsewhere. He would dismiss from his mind all ungenerous suspicions about the honesty of builders and contractors. In such ways he acquired a sincere and comfortable conviction that his vessel was thoroughly safe and seaworthy; he watched her departure with a light heart, and benevolent wishes for the success of the exiles in their strange new home that was to be; and he got his insurance-money when she went down in mid-ocean and told no tales."

If any of you care to read the essay that follows (called 'the ethics of belief') click the hyperlink above. False belief can be dangerous - it can start wars, break up relationships, further injustice and end lives. On the flip-side it can give hope, ease pain and provide a sense of community, as often seems to be the case with religion. William Clifford was not an atheist and saw a certain amount of belief in god as reasonable. I would argue that care should be taken givrn that religious beliefs have the potential to lead to such things as descrimination, instability, anger etc... I certainly don't claim that the beliefs of anyone on this forum are necesarily dangerous but I think that if we are to be responsible we should always critically examine our beliefs, including those regarding god.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)