• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (5 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
sly fly said:
There are two possible scenarios.

Scenario 1: Some people believe in God, others don't. They die. There was no God. Nothing happens.

Scenario 2: Some people believe in God, others don't. They die. There was a God. Those who believed in God go to heaven and those who didn't get eternal damnation.

Now tell me, using logic, what do you think would be the wiser thing to do?
You could use similar logic to complicate your argument. Suppose that the experience of living the religious life is much less enjoyable than the experiences afforded by a life of religious indifference (since the religious being abstains from certain pleasures or whatever hypothetical reason floats your boat), then you have this:

Scenario 1: God exists. Religious person gets to hang out with an invisible unicorn - yay for them.

Scenario 2: No god. The religious being has 'wasted' (depending on your philosophical view point) their one shot at life by abstaining from pleasure.

Of course, my example is somewhat weaker in that it requires an assumption in order to stand up in the same way.

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm sorry, how has it been proven that the Quran was written by God?

veterandoggy said:
lol moonlight sontana...

you dont have to worry too much about physician posting stuff like that. he doesnt post often, but when he does, its got impressive stamped somewhere in it.
^ I have no idea what you are talking about here

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
physician said:
The Quran wasnt written by Humans, my dear friend, and I dont need to prove this, its been done, and is already accepeted as a fact by both Muslims and many Non-Muslims!
physician said:
in regards to the bolded part, Yes it was written by humans on the material available at the time, but they only wrote what they heard the Prophet recite!
i dont get it, so was the quran written by humans, or did it magicly appear from nowhere, because god sent it down.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
SashatheMan said:
i havewtn proven, but from that article that was posted a few pages back , it states that it was very likely that being brought up in a well to do family, it was custom that the children were taught how to read and write.

What proof do you have that he was illiterate?
hope ur not referring to the article that i posted, cos i feel both of them are bullshit!

anyhow, some of the posts are really crazy espcially KFunk's one which is just hilarious but could be true.

um physcian, do me favour, just for arguments sake forget ur belief in the religion of islam, and come to terms with what i have said.

that all religions, not only islam even idol worshipping was created by man to fulfil to their need to believe in something, so they dont go crazy thinking where the hell did the planet earth come from.

its like writing a novel, take Lord of the RIngs, the book is incredible, can we for example believe the events tat took place in the book were real? after all what difference is it from the bible/quran/genesis. how can say that god exists because of a book?

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
I don't know. Does anyone know? I do think that all the religions with reasonable grounding should be respected.
OK was that a valid post?

Lundy

Banned
HSC
cherryblossom said:
I don't know. Does anyone know? I do think that all the religions with reasonable grounding should be respected.
I'm tired of being expected to tip toe around religious people's delicate sensibilities. Why should I respect something that I believe to be absurd and illogical? Many people also believe they've been abducted by aliens, but does that mean I should respect them?

And also, if the religious demand respect for their beliefs, then that same respect should be reciprocated towards an atheist, no? Otherwise the whole deal stinks of hypocrisy.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
They don't have reasonable grounding at all. What you're asking of me is to respect beliefs that have no good basis, reason, or logic behind them. It is similar to asking me to simply 'respect' the belief of people who claim they've seen elvis.

No.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
cherryblossom said:
No .

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
^ I have no idea what you are talking about here
lol you werent meant to know, cos it wasnt aimed at you. i was making fun of how your name was typed.

Lundy said:
Many people also believe they've been abducted by aliens, but does that mean I should respect them?
you should respect them, even if you think they are talking bs, because them believing they got abducted by aliens deserves sideways glances, but not disrespect purely because of that.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
veterandoggy said:
there is nothing wrong with that, but i posted the above because Lundy implied that she disrespects them because they are a little confused up there.
LOL

but then if god exists, why cant aliens exists? especially with pyramids and weird triangles and signs etc.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I'll just elucidate that I don't disrespect people themselves, just their religious beliefs.

Last edited:

Lundy

Banned
HSC
HotShot said:
LOL

but then if god exists, why cant aliens exists? especially with pyramids and weird triangles and signs etc.
Because aliens are silly fantasies whereas god makes a whole lot of logical sense. The bible/quran says so. Duh.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Um, care to elaborate then? I suppose you're going to say something along the lines of 'it is the inspired word of god through them' and that you can 'see this because of how awesome the language is in the book and how scientifically accurate it is!', in which case we go back to our arguments which you have ignored in making such claim.
At this stage in time No, I dont wish to elaborate, I guess the gist of my post was not absorbed since ur asking me if I wish to elaborate!

SahsatheMan said:
]i dont get it, so was the quran written by humans, or did it magicly appear from nowhere, because god sent it down.
I'm pritty sure u understood what I said, neverthless, I apologise if it sounded like a contradiction, and I apologise If I made it sound that way.

To rephrase the first section of what u quoted, I should have said "The Quran is not the word of humans (i.e humans did not make up The Quran)" <--- I will debate this when i have sufficient knowledge insh'Allah

And to elaborate on the second part, The Quran was merely written on the material avalible at the time, by people, but not in their own words, they only wrote what was recited to them after the Prophet received the verses from the angel Gabriel (This is our belief, and Im not here to debate it, well not now anyway)

Im not a scholar, Nor is anyone else here. So I, nor any of the other Muslims hold the answers to all ur questions. When I feel I have the ability and knwoldge to answer a question, I will, Insh'Allah.

I was merely stating my belief and opinion, and I dont think anyone has successfully been able to prove that the Quran is the word of Man, and not God! Thus theres no room for someone to make such a statement, like that of HotShot! The statement that I initially responded to!

HotShot said:
um physcian, do me favour, just for arguments sake forget ur belief in the religion of islam, and come to terms with what i have said.

that all religions, not only islam even idol worshipping was created by man to fulfil to their need to believe in something, so they dont go crazy thinking where the hell did the planet earth come from.
Once again, ur re-doing what sparked my first retalliation!

U bluntly stated "not only Islam even Idol worshipping was created by man..."

Yet, once again, where's ur evidence? How do u know this?

This is ur opinion, and i respect that, but u cant simply say that Islam, and all other religions were created by man! especially without evidence!

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Lundy said:
Because aliens are silly fantasies whereas god makes a whole lot of logical sense. The bible/quran says so. Duh.
um honestly angels, and devils sound more 'fantasy' than aliens, especially with ufo sightings (but then americans..oh well).

logical sense, no the bible/quran is not logical sense its more common sense, eg stay clean and care for each other etc.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
At this stage in time No, I dont wish to elaborate, I guess the gist of my post was not absorbed since ur asking me if I wish to elaborate!
"The Quran is not the word of humans (i.e humans did not make up The Quran)" <--- I will debate this when i have sufficient knowledge insh'Allah
So you made a claim without actually having anything to back it up with?

This is ur opinion, and i respect that, but u cant simply say that Islam, and all other religions were created by man! especially without evidence!
Analogical reasoning. We can see that all religions that have been created recently (see: cults / new age movements..) were created by man, therefore we think it's safe to assume that they were probably all made by man. As you cannot provide any good analogy, the burden of proof should fall upon you to show us why it is that while every other book/religion has been created by man (that we can see created today) yours is different.

Im not a scholar, Nor is anyone else here. So I, nor any of the other Muslims hold the answers to all ur questions. When I feel I have the ability and knwoldge to answer a question, I will, Insh'Allah.
Yea but last_chance basically copied an islamic scholar of many years reasons as to believe in God and I think I did pretty good at rebutting all of them. I also don't really think it's wise to believe in something that you yourself cannot argue for.

Last edited:

Lundy

Banned
HSC
HotShot said:
um honestly angels, and devils sound more 'fantasy' than aliens, especially with ufo sightings (but then americans..oh well).

logical sense, no the bible/quran is not logical sense its more common sense, eg stay clean and care for each other etc.
I'm not talking about the messages of love and compassion. That's all fine and dandy. The notion that god himself dictated this stuff is not common sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)