• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (7 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
Ok, you believe there is only one true God... You believe it has X characteristics, correct? Now if someone believes in a God that doesn't have X characteristics, then their 'god' is in disagreement with your own... You can't submit that both exist, so you have to be atheist about one and say it doesn't exist. You can then go on about how it's "another spirit power", but that still makes you an atheist regarding the existance of that God (as it no longer has the characteristic... of being the one true god).

If someone believes a leprechaun told them to burn down their house.... then there's something behind that leprechaun? It couldn't just be a mentally deranged man's delusion?
Aaaaaaaah i get you. I dont really think athiest is the right word but i see what you are driving at now.

Yes. There is something behind the leprechaun:) Deception manifest likely in illness.Silly example though.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
Could it perhaps just be all in their head?

The human brain can do stranger stuff than we think it does. It would also make more sense if this was the case.
If its all in my head - Im going to be so peed off.
But i dont believe so:)

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Aaaaaaaah i get you. I dont really think athiest is the right word but i see what you are driving at now.
No it is... You're not entirely atheist, but with regard to that god... you don't believe in it, so you're an atheist about their God.
Deception manifest likely in illness.Silly example though.
What makes... Me postulating that I believe pixies magically cause us to fall in love with each other any sillier than you postulating that there is this God out there who made us and is watching us and will one day meet us in heaven if we do good things?
But i dont believe so
See, if you ask me... If I ever had an experience which made me think I'd seen/communicated with a ghost, I would pass it off as a delusion (we have pretty damn good evidence that people can mistakenly believe they've experienced something they have not, but no evidence of ghosts). Would you say this is the right thing to do? If so, then how is your experience with God any different?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
No it is... You're not entirely atheist, but with regard to that god... you don't believe in it, so you're an atheist about their God.

What makes... Me postulating that I believe pixies magically cause us to fall in love with each other any sillier than you postulating that there is this God out there who made us and is watching us and will one day meet us in heaven if we do good things?
You dont believe that there are pixies making us fall in love with one another.
My God wont "meet me" if Im doing good things.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
justmeme said:
there isnt much point in posting... all christians get flamed.
The irony is that it's us atheists who will be flamed.... IN HELL LOLLOLOL :p

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
*TRUE* said:
You dont believe that there are pixies making us fall in love with one another.
My God wont "meet me" if Im doing good things.
What does it really matter if someone believes it or not? You're saying that the Gods of the ancient egyptians were more likely to be true back when people believed in them? I'm sorry I got that aspect of your God wrong... I don't have the time to find out the intimate details of everyone's fantasy.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
*TRUE* said:
But i dont believe so:)
Well without insulting your beliefs or doubting your own religious experiences

Say we could explain someone's apparent 'spiritual influences' using only what we know about the human mind, that person's environment, the situation in their life, in other words, only natural/physical things that we can observe or study. Then we don't need to speculate about any spiritual powers being responsible.

For example a, man who starves himself for a month and sits in a cave at the top of a mountain, then has visions from some spiritual being. We know he's (a) starving, and (b) in a low-oxygen environment, so that can explain the visions in a way that is more likely to be true than actual divine intervention.

Otherwise you have a world filled with spirits all over the place influencing people... For example using your earlier statement you would have to agree that there is something behind astrology, since it does influence people, even though there's no physical possibility for astrology to be true.

Last edited:

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
3unitz said:
hells such a bad place...
So I've been told... Hope it isn't real, but I'm doing the best I can with what I've got and I continue self-criticism and discovery in the search for truth *shrug*

justmeme

HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
The irony is that it's us atheists who will be flamed.... IN HELL LOLLOLOL :p
but you dont care so much. becuase you dont believe your going to hell, it wouldnt worry you?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
justmeme said:
why cant they??
Because what they say is what they say. Not neccessarily what is true.
They cant take away or 'flame' what is real to you.
The world & all its philosophy can never do away with the truth. The truth stands.
Remember
"I am the way the truth and the life."
Dont be scared ever - hey , we got a friend in a pretty high place. The highest.
As well , 'they' meaning Enteebee particularly arent interested in flaming people:)

justmeme

HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
So I've been told... Hope it isn't real, but I'm doing the best I can with what I've got and I continue self-criticism and discovery in the search for truth *shrug*
in the context of christianity or in context of life in general?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
justmeme said:
but you dont care so much. becuase you dont believe your going to hell, it wouldnt worry you?
To be honest it permeates our culture so much (and I was raised in christian schools etc) that I have been worried in the past at the prospect that it may be true, somehow, just as occasionally in the past I've happily considered that it may be true that people I've loved are still alive somewhere.

justmeme

HSC
N/A
*TRUE* said:
Because what they say is what they say. Not neccessarily what is true.
They cant take away or 'flame' what is real to you.
The world & all its philosophy can never do away with the truth. The truth stands.
Remember
"I am the way the truth and the life."
Dont be scared ever - hey , we got a friend in a pretty high place. The highest.
As well , 'they' meaning Enteebee particularly arent interested in flaming people:)
=]

all ive got is. wow.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
Well without insulting your beliefs or doubting your own religious experiences

Say we could explain someone's apparent 'spiritual influences' using only what we know about the human mind, that person's environment, the situation in their life, in other words, only natural/physical things that we can observe or study. Then we don't need to speculate about any spiritual powers being responsible.

Otherwise you have a world filled with spirits all over the place influencing people... For example using your earlier statement you would have to agree that there is something behind astrology, since it does influence people, even though there's no physical possibility for astrology to be true.
Yes I do think there is something behind astrology actually:)
I believe that we do not wrestle only against flesh and blood.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
justmeme said:
in the context of christianity or in context of life in general?
in the context of life, It sounds terrible to live all eternity in pain being tortured all the time or whatever.

justmeme

HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
To be honest it permeates our culture so much (and I was raised in christian schools etc) that I have been worried in the past at the prospect that it may be true, somehow, just as occasionally in the past I've happily considered that it may be true that people I've loved are still alive somewhere.
because you were raised in a christian school, you still ahve many christian ideas??? just a question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)