• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
justmeme said:
in the context of christianity or in context of life in general?
i hope there's no afterlife at all, since it would go on forever

and forever after that

and then forever after that

and after that, forever

EDIT: although i'd like to spend forever with you :shy:

Last edited:

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Because what they say is what they say. Not neccessarily what is true.
They cant take away or 'flame' what is real to you.
The world & all its philosophy can never do away with the truth. The truth stands.
Remember
"I am the way the truth and the life."
Dont be scared ever - hey , we got a friend in a pretty high place. The highest.
As well , 'they' meaning Enteebee particularly arent interested in flaming people:)
What is it that convinces you that those words are true? It's your own personal philosophy... Do you know, there was a great christian theologian St Augustine who pointed out that if God exists we will find evidence of his existence in his creation, that is to say, don't look necessarily to a text (with all its flaws... don't make me even begin) but to the reality of the world around you and come to your conclusions from that.

I truly would like to believe what you claim to believe is true, but I regretfully do not see the evidence and I don't imagine I ever will... It is in this way that I feel my position is perhaps slightly more honourable than yours, you see, I'm arguing for something that I don't even want to be true, whereas for you, you're arguing for the greatest gift anyone could ever have to be true.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
in the context of life, It sounds terrible to live all eternity in pain being tortured all the time or whatever.
Hell isnt a place of torture chambers God devised to make you miserable.
It is a place where God is not.
Therefore , a place without peace , love , happiness , pleasure , meaning etc
In this world you can be touched by those things. Because He is here through those that love him.
But if you determine within yourself you do not want him , then when you leave here , you will not have him. He will not force you to accept him. He doesnt want slaves.

justmeme

HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
in the context of life, It sounds terrible to live all eternity in pain being tortured all the time or whatever.
but can you not hope to win a soccer game for example?? thats still hope right?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
i hope there's no afterlife at all, since it would go on forever

and forever after that

and then forever after that

and after that, forever

EDIT: although i'd like to spend forever with you :shy:
Yeah but dean for the most part our lives are just a constant meandering on a day to day basis and we forget much of what we've done in the past and repeat much of what has been done quite happily (do you believe u'd ever get tired of sex? Your brain is programmed not to...). To me it seems there are possible eternities that are terrible, but I can at the very least accept that the conception of a 'happy eternity' is no less likely.

pinkyforce7

HSC
logically, if Christians are right (or any other religion that has an afterlife for that matter), its probably better to waste your life and have a chance that the faith might be true and that you will spend eternity in a perfect place rather than dismissing it and spending eternity in hell, which is told to be the place of ultimate suffering. Like even if it isnt true, u would of led a alright life.

or we can go plan B deny religion and have a chance that we go to hell.

That side of the story was brought to you by Billy Graham

im undecided, its looking like A/B at the moment

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Hell isnt a place of torture chambers God devised to make you miserable.
It is a place where God is not.
Therefore , a place without peace , love , happiness , pleasure , meaning etc
In this world you can be touched by those things. Because He is here through those that love him.
But if you determine within yourself you do not want him , then when you leave here , you will not have him. He will not force you to accept him. He doesnt want slaves.
True, trust me when I say I've heard a lot of the different ideas about what hell is, I just chose the more cartoony version because hey, most people can identify with that. BTW a place where God is not? I thought he was omnipresent...

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
What is it that convinces you that those words are true? It's your own personal philosophy... Do you know, there was a great christian theologian St Augustine who pointed out that if God exists we will find evidence of his existence in his creation, that is to say, don't look necessarily to a text (with all its flaws... don't make me even begin) but to the reality of the world around you and come to your conclusions from that.

I truly would like to believe what you claim to believe is true, but I regretfully do not see the evidence and I don't imagine I ever will... It is in this way that I feel my position is perhaps slightly more honourable than yours, you see, I'm arguing for something that I don't even want to be true, whereas for you, you're arguing for the greatest gift anyone could ever have to be true.
It wasnt actually St Augustine who pointed that out. It is in the bible.
The heavens declare the glory of God , and the firmament shows His handiwork."
You should read Job if you ever get a chance , its a good part of the bible

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
pinkyforce7 said:
logically, if Christians are right (or any other religion that has an afterlife for that matter), its probably better to waste your life and have a chance that the faith might be true and that you will spend eternity in a perfect place rather than dismissing it and spending eternity in hell, which is told to be the place of ultimate suffering. Like even if it isnt true, u would of led a alright life.

or we can go plan B deny religion and have a chance that we go to hell.

That side of the story was brought to you by Billy Graham

im undecided, its looking like A/B at the moment
Hows bout:

- The possibility that there is a God who rewards atheism and punishes believers.
- The likelyhood that you'll find the TRUE GOD by examining our reality (science, philosophy etc...) rather than through superstition & myths.
- The possibility that there is a God who particularly punishes believers in OTHER gods.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
True, trust me when I say I've heard a lot of the different ideas about what hell is, I just chose the more cartoony version because hey, most people can identify with that. BTW a place where God is not? I thought he was omnipresent...
It says in the bible that God has created a place for Satan and his demons ( ie other spirits) and those who do not want to be with Him.
For the sake of being TRUE to himself. He gave everyone a choice. Eternity with me or without me.
He has enabled that to be.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
*TRUE* said:
It wasnt actually St Augustine who pointed that out. It is in the bible.
The heavens declare the glory of God , and the firmament shows His handiwork."
You should read Job if you ever get a chance , its a good part of the bible
Actually it was St Augustine, you wanna know why? Because before him no one is on record as saying it, or as interpreting that passage of the bible in that way. I don't even know if christians interpret that part in that way... You do, but hey, you're not all christians.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Yes I do think there is something behind astrology actually:)
I believe that we do not wrestle only against flesh and blood.
i tried to pick something really unbelievable

is there anything so patently false you could comfortably say you believed there was no chance of it being real?

how about the flying spaghetti monster

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
*TRUE* said:
It says in the bible that God has created a place for Satan and his demons ( ie other spirits) and those who do not want to be with Him.
For the sake of being TRUE to himself. He gave everyone a choice. Eternity with me or without me.
He has enabled that to be.
Yeah... so God created a place to punish us, interestingly enough I'm sure you don't believe that after you go to hell you can then change your mind, right?

Let's talk about 'choice', do you think a child growing up in a fundamentalist muslim household in somalia has as much a chance of growing up to call jesus christ their lord as a child born to a baptist minister in Dallas? It would seem to me that if life was a test by God to see if we come to believe in him then everyone would have an equal chance, yet that is simply not the case, it seems to be set up much more the way an atheist would expect it to be (culturally through naturally understood means).

Last edited:

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
i tried to pick something really unbelievable

is there anything so patently false you could comfortably say you believed there was no chance of it being real?

how about the flying spaghetti monster
Well , the thing is , I dont think there is a spirit behind astrology that is always able to know the truth. Satan only knows what God has revealed.
I believe though that there is something behind astrology. Astrology is something that actually robs faith.
"Without faith it is impossible to please God"
People have faith in astrology. Therefore I think it is a spiritual device with spirit power. i do not say I think it is what it says it is.
Father of lies = false religion , philosphy that robs faith and relationship with God.
Satan will use anything to get people away from God. Thats all he wants. Is to destroy us.
If it takes a flying spaghetti monster...he doesnt mind. i dont think it is a widely used technique however, :)

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
Yeah... so God created a place to punish us, interestingly enough I'm sure you don't believe that after you go to hell you can then change your mind, right?

Let's talk about 'choice', do you think a child growing up in a fundamentalist muslim household in somalia has as much a chance of growing up to call jesus christ their lord as a child born to a baptist minister in Dallas? It would seem to me that if life was a test by God to see if we come to believe in him then everyone would have an equal chance, yet that is simply not the case, it seems to be set up much more the way an atheist would expect it to be (culturally through naturally understood means).
No. You have this lifetime to decide.
The bible says all will have a chance , all will hear the message one day. Not everyone will hear it the same. But all will have a chance.
"Desires that none shall perish"

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Satan will use anything to get people away from God. Thats all he wants. Is to destroy us.
If it takes a flying spaghetti monster...he doesnt mind. i dont think it is a widely used technique however,
A muslim would say that satan has distorted the figure of jesus as a false god to bring people to hell.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
Actually it was St Augustine, you wanna know why? Because before him no one is on record as saying it, or as interpreting that passage of the bible in that way. I don't even know if christians interpret that part in that way... You do, but hey, you're not all christians.
That is not true. SOrry i hate contradicting people bluntly , but , read your bible:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)