• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (3 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
no i never said it is because i am a christian i said i dont find it intresting.
Which is no good reason not to inform yourself.

If you do not investigate scientific claims then you have no right to refute them.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
i dont think so, the only thing i have even said is that theories are just theories and it turned to this.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
i dont think so, the only thing i have even said is that theories are just theories and it turned to this.
Yes, because your beliefs are rock-solid 100% guaranteed irrefutable, aren't they. Because God said so, right?

Also if you wouldn't mind plz enlighten us as to how you can engage in a debate when you know next to nothing about the opposition's views?

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
yes they are rock solid and yes because God said so well that is what I believe anyway, you dont have to accept it.
yes they are rock solid and yes because God said so well that is what I believe anyway, you dont have to accept it.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
Why do I constantly get the impression that you were converted by some raving Mormon off the street?

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Why do I constantly get the impression that you were converted by some raving Mormon off the street?
no i went to a christian camp, where i heard about christ, and I decided to accept it it was a very gradual thing of finding out more, investigating it then making a decision.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
no i went to a christian camp, where i heard about christ, and I decided to accept it it was a very gradual thing of finding out more, investigating it then making a decision.
So at the very least you questioned and challenged what you were told about Christ before you made this decision? (Please say yes). That would be good to know.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
blakegman said:
Clearly not hard enough based on this thread.
i think i did, i questioned what i was been taught, asked questions about everything i could think of and made a decision.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
i think i did, i questioned what i was been taught, asked questions about everything i could think of and made a decision.
Did you question the teachings by comparing them with their scientific equivalents or did you simply ask questions of the person who taught you (who would have been undoubtedly biased)?

Because that is an important distinction to make here, I think.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Did you question the teachings by comparing them with their scientific equivalents or did you simply ask questions of the person who taught you (who would have been undoubtedly biased)?

Because that is an important distinction to make here, I think.
it was mainly bible based yes but also some science based ones. btw the person i asked is a science teacher

boris

Banned
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
it was mainly bible based yes but also some science based ones. btw the person i asked is a science teacher
lol science teachers

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Anyone who calls themselves a science teacher who does not subscribe to evolution theory is not a science teacher.
there are many scientists who do not agree with evolution theories mind you

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
This is true. I just honestly have a hard time imagining a science teacher with religious views similar to yours. Kind of the same thing as inasero being a doctor when he seems to think disease is visited upon humans by God as a consequence of sin. Not all science teachers agree with evolution theory which is fine as long as they don't teach creationism like it's fact, imo.

webby234

HSC
N/A
emytaylor164 said:
I know it's from wikipedia, but you can look at the references if you don't believe it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_support_for_evolution#Scientific_support said:
The vast majority of the scientific community and academia supports evolutionary theory as the only explanation that can fully account for observations in the fields of biology, paleontology, anthropology, and others.[16][17][18][19][20] One 1987 estimate found that "700 scientists ... (out of a total of 480,000 U.S. earth and life scientists) ... give credence to creation-science".[21] An expert in the evolution-creationism controversy, professor and author Brian Alters states that "99.9 percent of scientists accept evolution".[22] A 1991 Gallup poll of Americans found that about 5% of scientists (including those with training outside biology) identified themselves as creationists.[23][24]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)