• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (3 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
HalcyonSky said:
you say scientific theories can't be proven, what about your beliefs? aren't you being completely hypocritical?
I dont need proof to believe what i believe.

HalcyonSky

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
we were talking about scientific theories, they are utimatly theories that come and go.
quote one theory that was widely accepted by the scientific community but was later completely disproven, please. I bet you have to google for that one you uneducated fuckhead.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
KFunk said:
The definition you provide actually says otherwise:

"A theory is a logically self-consistent model or framework for describing the behavior of a related set of natural or social phenomena. It originates from or is supported by experimental evidence (see scientific method). In this sense, a theory is a systematic and formalized expression of all previous observations, and is predictive, logical, and testable. In principle, scientific theories are always tentative, and subject to corrections, inclusion in a yet wider theory, or succession. Commonly, many more specific hypotheses may be logically bound together by just one or two theories. As a rule for use of the term, theories tend to deal with much broader sets of universals than do hypotheses, which ordinarily deal with much more specific sets of phenomena or specific applications of a theory."

Theories are constructed around facts/observations, but they are not constituted by them. They are abstract, theoretical frameworks which aim to explain and make sense of facts and observations. For example, we haven't observed all of the theoretical objects posited by quantum field theory (at least, not in the way in which we might observe a falling apple) but the theory can none the less be used to explain observations and make testable predictions.

Also, the contents of theories commonly aren't empirically verifiable (though, importantly, they should be falsifiable). In particular, most theories make universal generalisations - i.e. with the very rough form of for every object x, satisfying some set of conditions Y, some description/outcome z will apply/occur. Absolute empirical verification of this involves observing every such instance and confirming that the rule holds. However, we are but limited beings (spatiotemporally) and so we have to make do with more approximate methods. Thus we form theories which are consistent with our observations and attempt to find further confirmatory evidence and, more importantly I feel, we also test whether they can be falsified.
i was posting in relation to that post when i said
emytaylor164 said:
the reality of it is science is full of theory's that can not or can not yet be proven. I think that in 100 years there will be a bunch of other theories.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
we were talking about scientific theories, they are utimatly theories that come and go.
This does not mean that science has no merit, nor does it mean that science is not a satisfactory explanation for many many phenomena, above and beyond what the "God did it Lol" theory can provide by way of explanation.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
just because i dont care about science and it is not something that I have any intrest in it does not make me uneducated.

boris

Banned
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
just because i dont care about science and it is not something that I have any intrest in it does not make me uneducated.
Um.

Yeah. It does.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
I beg to differ.

How can you call anyone here narrow minded when you will not educate yourself about the viewpoint of those who oppose you.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
I beg to differ.

How can you call anyone here narrow minded when you will not educate yourself about the viewpoint of those who oppose you.
no but i am willing to listen to there argument and if i think there is something there i will look into it.

boris

Banned
HSC
Are you scared that if you look into science you might be amazed at how wonderful it is, and how shit the Bible is?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
no but i am willing to listen to there argument and if i think there is something there i will look into it.
Even if you don't think there is something there, you ought to look into the claim.

I think I'm beginning to understand why your posts just go in illogical circles now.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
HalcyonSky said:
quote one theory that was widely accepted by the scientific community but was later completely disproven, please. I bet you have to google for that one you uneducated fuckhead.
The idea that theories come and go isn't completely unreasonable; you just need some careful qualification when such statements are made. For a famous work which deals with the transience of theories see Kuhn's The structure of scientific revolutions.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
boris said:
Are you scared that if you look into science you might be amazed at how wonderful it is, and how shit the Bible is?
no i am not scared to at all, tbh, i find it boring, it does not amaze me, and i do not find it intresting.

HalcyonSky

HSC
KFunk said:
The idea that theories come and go isn't completely unreasonable; you just need some careful qualification when such statements are made. For a famous work which deals with the transience of theories see Kuhn's The structure of scientific revolutions.
I realise, but emy was stating that with absolutely no basis at all, thus why she couldnt name me a defuncut theory. She believes alot of things without looking into them. She is educated, though, dont get me wrong.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
no i am not scared to at all, tbh, i find it boring, it does not amaze me, and i do not find it intresting.
This is exactly my opinion of the Bible, but I still read it because I would like to have a clue what I'm arguing about in threads like these.

Stop thinking that just because it does not interest you that you shouldn't give it a go.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
i never used to find the bible intresting either then i became a christian and wanted to have guidance in my life and to learn more.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
i never used to find the bible intresting either then i became a christian and wanted to have guidance in my life and to learn more.
Being Christian does not exclude you from needing to know basic science. You also cannot use it as an excuse not to keep yourself informed.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Being Christian does not exclude you from needing to know basic science. You also cannot use it as an excuse not to keep yourself informed.
oh i am not using it as an excuse

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
oh i am not using it as an excuse
You refuse to educate yourself about science because you're a Christian and your conviction in your beliefs means you don't need to bother with it, basically.

Sounds like an excuse to me.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
You refuse to educate yourself about science because you're a Christian and your conviction in your beliefs means you don't need to bother with it, basically.

Sounds like an excuse to me.
no i never said it is because i am a christian i said i dont find it intresting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)