• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: Does God exist?

katie tully said:
You're such a spack sometimes :( But I guess that answers my question: Degree of lunacy, amber alert.

Sorry hon. Wasnt trying to be nasty. Just really thought you'd hate it...

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A

katie tully said:
You're such a spack sometimes :( But I guess that answers my question: Degree of lunacy, amber alert.

Science can explain how humans exist, and to be honest I think asking why we exist is just leading us into another theological debate. The easy answer would be evolution, blah blah, but again that pretty much only explains how.
Hasn't this entire debate been about why? I think if any scientists have been able to explain why we exist, they'd be very rich and this debate would be very redundant.

Not true. I'm sure plenty of scientists would like to believe there is a deeper meaning in the existence of humans, it's just that proving 'why' is a lot harder than proving how.
Katie , i wasnt saying scientists dont want there to be deeper meaning - only that they havent found any evidence of 'deeper meaning'. (whatever that is)

We exist as a result of chemical processes etc...right?
Why must there be any reason why? Just because it makes us feel more important....?
I dont understand what you are saying...sorry if ive got it wrong :(

Last edited:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Before you can look meaningfully at "why are we here" you'd first need to establish that there is a reason why we're here in the first place

Darwinism seems to suggest that there isn't really (not conclusively as such but it's just the fact that we only came to be because the environment at the time was suitable, nothing more or less)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC

Sorry hon. Wasnt trying to be nasty. Just really thought you'd hate it...
Just wondering whether the last 3 days have been the same or whether something had happened.

Katie , i wasnt saying scientists dont want there to be deeper meaning - only that they havent found any evidence of 'deeper meaning'. (whatever that is)

We exist as a result of chemical processes etc...right?
Why must there be any reason why? Just because it makes us feel more important....?
I dont understand what you are saying...sorry!
I don't understand what you're saying. My response was in re: to Inasero's post, as to whether any scientists have found a reason 'why' we exist'. There doesn't have to be a reason why. I know I am content with the belief that we exist purely because we do, I personally don't seek out, or need a reason 'why'.

Some people do. I am yet to meet anybody with a definitive answer of 'why' we exist. But certainly there are scientists concerned with finding out why, they closest we're at is 'how'.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A

katie tully said:
Just wondering whether the last 3 days have been the same or whether something had happened.

I don't understand what you're saying. My response was in re: to Inasero's post, as to whether any scientists have found a reason 'why' we exist'. There doesn't have to be a reason why. I know I am content with the belief that we exist purely because we do, I personally don't seek out, or need a reason 'why'.

Some people do. I am yet to meet anybody with a definitive answer of 'why' we exist. But certainly there are scientists concerned with finding out why, they closest we're at is 'how'.

Naaaah , not much happened. I think a muslim got a bit cranky...
Oh okay , sorry , i thought you were replying to me:)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC

inasero said:
Can science explain why humans exist? What's the meaning of it all?
Mu. A further question needs to be asked in relation to your second question - do we have any reason to think that such a question has a determinate answer?

The problem with your question (I am focussing on the second one here) is that it can be seen to assume that an adequate answer can be provided. But if you first assume that there is a "meaning of it all" and, secondly, assume that this meaning is best provided through a creator then you will find that you are begging the question in a loose sort of way.

Hence: why should we expect to find any determinate form of meaning at all?

(Note that this question is not about whether meaning is important to us in some sentimental way. Too often people bring in the 'but how could you possibly live in that world??' claims, which are fairly irrelevant unless you are the most hardcore of pragmatists)

Enteebee said:
The point furthermore should be that while science can't explain why we exist, neither can religion.
This is a key point. If religion, to use a broad straw brushstroke, is false then it too fails to provide the "meaning of it all". That religions provide accounts of meaning does not, as far as I am aware, count as evidence in favour of their veracity. Sure, it gives them aesthetic points given the way meaning appeals to the human psyche, but this is a separate issue from the truth of their claims (again, unless you are a certain species of pragmatist).

HSC

Enteebee said:
Post it up again. Science can't explain why humans exist, the question is meaningless to objective reality "why" is a subjective human concept. Unless of course you mean can science explain "well first there was the big bang, then blah blah, then blah blah, then evolution, then your genes, then your upbringing etc and that led to 'you'" well science can have a rough go at that.

Science isn't really about explaining "why" as in "meaning", but if you're asking it as in a causal statement "What caused human X to be" then it requires a bit of a theory of everything but I'm fairly sure science has a pretty good sketch of it.

The point furthermore should be that while science can't explain why we exist, neither can religion.

Put down? It is merely understood... You need to understand, to say something is 'the result of chemical processes etc' doesn't mean it isn't a great thing.
actually religion can explain the meaning of life if that is to what u are referring.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC

want2bdifferent said:
actually religion can explain the meaning of life if that is to what u are referring.
Wait, you know the answer to the meaning of life yet theist philosophers throughout the entire history of mankind have been unable to? Holy shit, enlighten us please.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC

want2bdifferent said:
If a religion gives an explanation for the meaning of life which is false then I would say it hasn't explained the meaning of life at all. For example, if you asked me to explain how the universe came into being and I gave you a scientific theory which gave an account of how this could have happened but it was easily proven false would you accept that I had explained how the universe came into being?

Riet said:
Wait, you know the answer to the meaning of life yet theist philosophers throughout the entire history of mankind have been unable to? Holy shit, enlighten us please.
They say things like "be with God" which is as far as I can tell empty rhetoric and it doesn't sound like the greatest meaning ever to me, but they'll say otherwise and such a choice is rather subjective. They can claim to know the meaning of life by claiming that they believe in X, X is always right and X says the meaning is Y.

Last edited:

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC

Enteebee said:
If a religion gives an explanation for the meaning of life which is false then I would say it hasn't explained the meaning of life at all. For example, if you asked me to explain how the universe came into being and I gave you a scientific theory which gave an account of how this could have happened but it was easily proven false would you accept that I had explained how the universe came into being?
Don't bother man, she's smarter then every philosopher ever. She would beat the shit out of Nietzche and his Ubermennsch shit. She would make Faust's trip to the depths of hell look like a walk through Hyde Park.

HSC

I mean that most religions have there own explanation into the meaning of life, i know there is a biblical passage which by many christians has been interpreted by many christians as the meaning of life which i am currently looking for and will post when i find it.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC

want2bdifferent said:
I mean that most religions have there own explanation into the meaning of life, i know there is a biblical passage which by many christians has been interpreted by many christians as the meaning of life which i am currently looking for and will post when i find it.
Well yeah sure they can explain things. I can explain how babies come into existence if I suppose that a stalk did it. I would think we might be looking for something more of an 'explanation' than such a thing though.... I mean at the very least I think the explanations are very bad ones if many of their supporting facts are wrong/questionable.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
want2bdifferent said:
ok found it:
13 Now all has been heard;
here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep his commandments,
for this is the whole duty of man.

if you want it in context go to
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=25&chapter=12&version=31

EDIT: if you disagree tell me and I will take your arguments into consideration
the whole purpose of our existence is to fear & obey our creator?

sounds like a pretty poor existence

to be honest i think no meaning is better than that meaning

EDIT: luckily there's no reason to think it's true

Last edited:
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
the whole purpose of our existence is to fear & obey our creator?

sounds like a pretty poor existence

to be honest i think no meaning is better than that meaning

EDIT: luckily there's no reason to think it's true
do you actually know what it means to fear God?

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Besides, a book about god telling you to fear and obey god's commandments (which are in the same book)...

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC

want2bdifferent said:
ok found it:
13 Now all has been heard;
here is the conclusion of the matter:
Fear God and keep his commandments,
for this is the whole duty of man.

if you want it in context go to
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=25&chapter=12&version=31

EDIT: if you disagree tell me and I will take your arguments into consideration
1 John 4:8 God is Love. 1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.Ecclesiastes 12:13 Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. God is Love. There is no fear in love. Fear God.

But yeah sure enough.. tbh I'm not sure whether I should have posted that because I find biblical debates really tiresome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)