Does God exist? (17 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Here is a bible verse that means alot to me in this debate :

'For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing but to us who are being saved, it is the power of God. For it is written:

"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise
the intelligence of the intelligent i will frustrate"

Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?
For since , in the wisdom of God , the world through its wisdom did not know Him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand miraculous signs , and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified : a stumbling block to Jews adn foolishenss to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews adn Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.

and a bit later (V:27) : But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise: God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: Does God exist?

Enteebee said:
1 John 4:8 God is Love. 1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.Ecclesiastes 12:13 Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. God is Love. There is no fear in love. Fear God.

But yeah sure enough.. tbh I'm not sure whether I should have posted that because I find biblical debates really tiresome.
there is a different between fear as in been scared and fear as in to fear God

Fearing God means to be in reverance and in awe of God, not to be scared of him, although non-believers have every right to be in fear of his judgement

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC

want2bdifferent said:
there is a different between fear as in been scared and fear as in to fear God

Fearing God means to be in reverance and in awe of God, not to be scared of him, although non-believers have every right to be in fear of his judgement
Ok cool we'll just change the meaning of words when things come up that we don't like...

HSC

Enteebee said:
Ok cool we'll just change the meaning of words when things come up that we don't like...
I think ( I could be wrong) I will look into it, there was two words in the original language that are translated into one in the modern english.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
OBL said:
I hate bible-quoting arguments.
Well I'm sorry if that's the case. As Christians it's all we have to base and explain our beliefs upon, just as most atheists cite scientific justification (or lack thereof) for their beliefs so I only think it fair that it be given a hearing.

HSC

want2bdifferent said:
I think ( I could be wrong) I will look into it, there was two words in the original language that are translated into one in the modern english.
In the Old Testament, several Hebrew words are used which translate into the English equivalent of "fear." In nearly every case, it means exactly what it says—fear, be afraid, terror, dreadful fear, etc. In some cases, it may mean reverence, as to revere or respect someone with great power. The same is the case in the New Testament. Several Greek words are used, which translate much the same.

source: http://www.parentalguide.com/Documents/Bible_Studies/Fear_God.htm#3-DOES THE WORD "FEAR" MEAN FEAR?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC

want2bdifferent said:
Yeah okay this is why I don't like biblical arguments, if you want to rip a subjective text apart and then on top of that rip apart a subjective text in a different language and then have concepts which mean you can ignore parts of the bible then we're just playing a silly game.

I will just say to you what I've said to others in the past. Come up with a heuristic by which we can assess the bible for its veracity, if such a heuristic applies to the bible and proves it veracity yet also cannot equally apply to say... the koran and if I can't find a problem with your heuristic then I will accept the veracity of the bible.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Here is a bible verse that means alot to me in this debate :

'For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing but to us who are being saved, it is the power of God. For it is written:

"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise
the intelligence of the intelligent i will frustrate"

Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?
For since , in the wisdom of God , the world through its wisdom did not know Him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand miraculous signs , and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified : a stumbling block to Jews adn foolishenss to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews adn Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.

and a bit later (V:27) : But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise: God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.
Oh man 1 Corinthians what a coincidence I started reading it yesterday :) But yeah I was thinking the exact same thing (and explained ages ago)- Christians don't need empirical scientific evidence to justify the existence of God, actually it would kind of defeat the purpose of faith. Buty anyhow, thanks for sharing that.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
inasero said:
Oh man 1 Corinthians what a coincidence I started reading it yesterday :) But yeah I was thinking the exact same thing (and explained ages ago)- Christians don't need empirical scientific evidence to justify the existence of God, actually it would kind of defeat the purpose of faith. Buty anyhow, thanks for sharing that.
Same is true for me with atheism, I don't need to justify my non-belief it's just true and you're wrong.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
inasero said:
Well I'm sorry if that's the case. As Christians it's all we have to base and explain our beliefs upon, just as most atheists cite scientific justification (or lack thereof) for their beliefs so I only think it fair that it be given a hearing.
not even close

HSC

Enteebee said:
Yeah okay this is why I don't like biblical arguments, if you want to rip a subjective text apart and then on top of that rip apart a subjective text in a different language and then have concepts which mean you can ignore parts of the bible then we're just playing a silly game.

I will just say to you what I've said to others in the past. Come up with a heuristic by which we can assess the bible for its veracity, if such a heuristic applies to the bible and proves it veracity yet also cannot equally apply to say... the koran and if I can't find a problem with your heuristic then I will accept the veracity of the bible.
what i am saying is words dont always mean what they appear and that is why you look to the original language meanings, fear in the bible MOSTLY meant been scared, but it also meant in some situations reverance, I think knowing the original meanings are in some situations key to getting what the original passage is trying to say.

inasero

Reborn
HSC

Enteebee said:

Yeah man I know how frustrating it can get, with so many apparent contradictions (especially between OT & NT). But I think you'll be surprised at how consistent the Bible is with itself. Have you read entire books of the Bible?

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
not even close
umm how is it different, in my opinion you pretty much consider science, the infaliable true writings, how is it any different if we quote the bible?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
fear both means reverence and being afraid.
Id be afraid of peeing God off , heck yeah.
But he is good. He knows our heart.

Last edited:

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
Same is true for me with atheism, I don't need to justify my non-belief it's just true and you're wrong.
Exactly.
I think this argument is kind of pathetic. Our mindsets are totally different , therefore the way we evaluate information on this issue is different.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
want2bdifferent said:
umm how is it different, in my opinion you pretty much consider science, the infaliable true writings, how is it any different if we quote the bible?
You can falsify a scientific paper it is utterly impossible for me to falsify the bible. If you think otherwise provide to me the method by which I could test the bible's veracity? I'm looking for something which will verify the bible without equally validating other religious texts (the koran etc) nor say... the works of Nostradamus/other seers.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Enteebee said:
Hey I'm all for religious tolerance and I respect your decision to be an atheist.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
You can falsify a scientific paper it is utterly impossible for me to falsify the bible. If you think otherwise provide to me the method by which I could test the bible's veracity? I'm looking for something which will verify the bible without equally validating other religious texts (the koran etc) nor say... the works of Nostradamus/other seers.
I dont know about everyone else...but what 1 corinthians says stands for me.
The wisdom of the world will not prove God (Or His word) God has made it that way.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Exactly.
I think this argument is kind of pathetic. Our mindsets are totally different , therefore the way we evaluate information on this issue is different.
I was being daft to show how silly it is to approach reality in such a way... You have a method by which you decide something is true independent of belief in God/The bible, I know this because at some point you decided to believe in these things. When I argue with you it is this that I appeal to.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
inasero said:
Hey I'm all for religious tolerance and I respect your decision to be an atheist.
Well actually here's the thing I also think all theists should be locked up and tortured to death, I don't need to justify this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)