• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

BLERGHtrue

HSC
I doubt anyone is bothered to go through all of the 1000+ posted thread, so i'm just going to state my opinion on this matter.

BLERGHtrue's mind's dictionary:

'Religion': a voluntary supportive foundation in which it provides a suggestive guide to life. It may have developed over the ages to be more 'believeable' and eleborate due to humans' ever progressive minds, but neverless imperfect when it comes to establishing social morals & order

'God': a representative figure of an ultimate force which is in charge. May be one or many (or both). Sometimes important in a religion in order to create a firm root and to give people something they can look up to as well as relate to.

'The argument about religion V truth in society': completely pointless and missing sight on the purpose of a religion. And truth is always something in perspective, anyway, so when it comes to how someone sees & deals with their life it should be up to them. Unless it's illegal, but that is (unless it is flawed...which it will be, often) in place for the same reason as the religion - for social peace & order. If there are those who act in the name of religion to harm/etc. it is because of how the person interpreted (or in some cases, manipulated) a religion.

BLERGHtrue's state of mind about the whole religion matter:

"interesting, i guess, to see what 'facts' may point to the existence of a 'god'. But because of (what it seems like) most people's attitudes towards religion, i hope nothing controversial will ever be discovered in my lifetime. Personally, i wouldn't want to take the risk of bloodshed or isolation even if peace of the whole matter was possible"

EDIT: oh and religion is in most cases a cultural thing. culture if important in self-identity, but it does change as well...but that's part of a different argument :)

Last edited:

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
I doubt anyone is bothered to go through all of the 1000+ posted thread, so i'm just going to state my opinion on this matter.

BLERGHtrue's mind's dictionary:

'Religion': a voluntary supportive foundation in which it provides a suggestive guide to life. It may have developed over the ages to be more 'believeable' and eleborate due to humans' ever progressive minds, but neverless imperfect when it comes to establishing social morals & order

'God': a representative figure of an ultimate force which is in charge. May be one or many (or both). Sometimes important in a religion in order to create a firm root and to give people something they can look up to as well as relate to.

'The argument about religion V truth in society': completely pointless and missing sight on the purpose of a religion. And truth is always something in perspective, anyway, so when it comes to how someone sees & deals with their life it should be up to them. Unless it's illegal, but that is (unless it is flawed...which it will be, often) in place for the same reason as the religion - for social peace & order. If there are those who act in the name of religion to harm/etc. it is because of how the person interpreted (or in some cases, manipulated) a religion.

BLERGHtrue's state of mind about the whole religion matter:

"interesting, i guess, to see what 'facts' may point to the existence of a 'god'. But because of (what it seems like) most people's attitudes towards religion, i hope nothing controversial will ever be discovered in my lifetime. Personally, i wouldn't want to take the risk of bloodshed or isolation even if peace of the whole matter was possible"

EDIT: oh and religion is in most cases a cultural thing. culture if important in self-identity, but it does change as well...but that's part of a different argument :)
I don't get what you're trying to say... your post is abit incoherent and diluted.

BradCube

HSC
And truth is always something in perspective, anyway, so when it comes to how someone sees & deals with their life it should be up to them.
Does all truth only depend on ones perspective? Thinks of the truth of warnings on a box of rat poison for example. Does this truth also just depend on ones perspective?

Quite often I find that when people talk about subjective and perspective truth, they are really only talking about internal issues that cannot be verified by science or external means. I prefer to think that it's quite possible that objective truth exists in these internal matters, it's simply harder to discern and collaborate upon.

BLERGHtrue

HSC
I don't get what you're trying to say... your post is abit incoherent and diluted.
sorry..i guess i was trying to simplify my views to prevent rambling or going in circles, but it seems it didn't work anyway :haha:

I was trying to question the point of asking 'Does God exist' because, directed at me, there was no point asking. It is an important question, but I was trying to explain that I thought wasn't a yes/no question nor had an answer which was true for everyone.

Does all truth only depend on ones perspective? Thinks of the truth of warnings on a box of rat poison for example. Does this truth also just depend on ones perspective?

Quite often I find that when people talk about subjective and perspective truth, they are really only talking about internal issues that cannot be verified by science or external means. I prefer to think that it's quite possible that objective truth exists in these internal matters, it's simply harder to discern and collaborate upon.
Yeah, I meant internal affairs when i said 'true'. That's because I generally find religion important only in perspectives, not whether it is or isn't fact. There's always a possibility that an objective truth exists in internal matters, but I think in the case of religion it doesn't matter. Then again, that's just my perspective.

For some people it does matter and that's why I hope there would be no hard evidence coming through in my lifetime.

I'm glad you're both interested, but I just felt like saying my opinion on religion&the question of God instead of writing my english essay...not really to further an argument haha. But hopefully I make a bit more sense now...?

missilelass

HSC
Humans will never know. We can never say for sure. So we cannot accept it as a universal truth. For some, God will exist in their realities. Therefore, to them, God exists. However, to others, God does not exist. God is an individual notion, not a universal one. People keep wanting to enforce their opinions onto others.
But we humans have no evidence that he does exist, nor any evidence that he doesn't...

BBYOG

HSC
God only exist if u belive if exist . Y does god have to be a religon god could be anythin.Im jst tryin to say is tht god should not be wat ppl say god should be. God is wat we made out god to be. Religon is jst another form of ppl control thts all.

Lukybear

HSC
What with all of these middle ground crap!! Wheres the flare gone from this forum? The agro maniacs, the passionate theist and atheists alike who cannot compose grammar? I miss the old forum!!

BradCube

HSC
Yeah, I meant internal affairs when i said 'true'. That's because I generally find religion important only in perspectives, not whether it is or isn't fact. There's always a possibility that an objective truth exists in internal matters, but I think in the case of religion it doesn't matter. Then again, that's just my perspective.
But, if the truth of these internal matters isn't subjective, but is objective, then it doesn't even matter what ones perspective on its truth value is.

For example, the question "Does God Exist?" has a clear objective truth value - yes or no. The truth value of "yes" or "no" in relation to this statement doesn't depend on ones internal perspective. Rather the truth value is directly tied to whether God does or does not exist. Ones perspective on whether God exists does not affect the truth of Gods existence - even if their perspective does align with objective truth on the matter. For this reason, I find it hard to make sense of what people really mean when they say things similar to, "God exists for those who believe in him, but doesn't exist for those who don't" etc.

I'm glad you're both interested, but I just felt like saying my opinion on religion&the question of God instead of writing my english essay...not really to further an argument haha.
We'll let you off the hook then - just this once :p

Last edited:

Tribute2Trivan

HSC
N/A
God only exist if u belive if exist . Y does god have to be a religon god could be anythin.Im jst tryin to say is tht god should not be wat ppl say god should be. God is wat we made out god to be. Religon is jst another form of ppl control thts all.
Dude i get what your saying but please....reading that just gave me the biggest headache :mad1:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Humans will never know. We can never say for sure. So we cannot accept it as a universal truth. For some, God will exist in their realities. Therefore, to them, God exists. However, to others, God does not exist. God is an individual notion, not a universal one. People keep wanting to enforce their opinions onto others.
But we humans have no evidence that he does exist, nor any evidence that he doesn't...
Fuck off aye.

God either exists or he doesn't.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
What with all of these middle ground crap!! Wheres the flare gone from this forum? The agro maniacs, the passionate theist and atheists alike who cannot compose grammar? I miss the old forum!!
i vote we bring them back, [myself being one].

just putting it out there, god is a figment of your imagination.

let's see if that gets anyone rolling.

Tonthat

HSC
"We cannot, of course, disprove God, just as we can't disprove Thor, fairies, leprechauns and the Flying Spaghetti Monster. But, like those other fantasies that we can't disprove, we can say that God is very very improbable."

asdfpoiu

HSC
i saw god yesterday and he told me it was objectively moral to kill as many people as you could and since i follow god blindly i'm gunna go on a killing spree :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)