• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Hold up. Are you saying we don't live in the matrix. You're totally tripping me out.

What. A. Wanker.
I know why you're here, TullyB. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer. You're looking for him. I know because I was once looking for the same thing. And when he found me, he told me I wasn't really looking for him. I was looking for an answer. It's the question that drives us, TullyB. It's the question that brought you here. You know the question, just as I did... :)

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
I know why you're here, TullyB. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer. You're looking for him. I know because I was once looking for the same thing. And when he found me, he told me I wasn't really looking for him. I was looking for an answer. It's the question that drives us, TullyB. It's the question that brought you here. You know the question, just as I did... :)

I cannot rep you enough for that.

Come on Iron, stop trying to hit us and hit us!

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A

Haha

Well to Iron I would say:

"Why, Mr. Iron? Why do you do it? Why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting for something? For more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom? Or truth? Perhaps peace? Yes? No? Could it be for love? Illusions, Mr. Iron. Vagaries of perception. The temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose. And all of them as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as love. You must be able to see it, Mr. Iron. You must know it by now. You can't win. It's pointless to keep fighting. Why, Mr. Iron? Why? Why do you persist?"

So, so relevant...:D

Deaths_Roses

HSC
All I will say on this topic is if God exists for you, then he does.
If he doesn't, then he doesn't.
I personally don't. I'm a person of physical evidence.

If people can believe in someone or something that gives them hope, that brings them through every day, then that's fine. God is good for them.

But, I'm Atheist. Don't even believe we are all here for a reason.

No one will ever truly know if 'God' existed or not.

Funny how this post is so popular. o.0

Though, one thing that shits me is this one time I went to a church youth group with my mate.. Just for numbers.
And they actually talked about channeling energy through their pastor. He or She stood in the middle and their church people gathered around them, with one hand on them and chanted...

That freaked the hell out of me..

But anyway! Good luck with your discussion. =P

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A

Can't spread anymore rep, but if I could i was going to leave this comment:

"You first need to realise there is no spoon"

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Haha

Well to Iron I would say:

"Why, Mr. Iron? Why do you do it? Why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting for something? For more than your survival? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Is it freedom? Or truth? Perhaps peace? Yes? No? Could it be for love? Illusions, Mr. Iron. Vagaries of perception. The temporary constructs of a feeble human intellect trying desperately to justify an existence that is without meaning or purpose. And all of them as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as love. You must be able to see it, Mr. Iron. You must know it by now. You can't win. It's pointless to keep fighting. Why, Mr. Iron? Why? Why do you persist?"

So, so relevant...:D
Yeah, to my point, douche

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Yeah, to my point, douche
Haha

angered, Mr Iron?

Why revert to coarse language? You should love your enemy!

But in all seriousness, no matter how much anyone loves religion, nihilism is always there lurking in the darkness. Perhaps Friedrich Nietzsche was right, as an intellectual you certainly can not deny the possibility, as there is no real evidence to suggest we have an absolute meaning for existence at all-

"In some remote corner of the universe, poured out and glittering in innumerable solar systems, there once was a star on which clever animals invented knowledge. That was the highest and most mendacious minute of "world history"—yet only a minute. After nature had drawn a few breaths the star grew cold, and the clever animals had to die."
—Friedrich Nietzsche, On Truth and Lie in an Extra-Moral Sense

And on your point earlier dude regarding religion and the call for morality, I'm throwing in with Einstein:

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death"

Last edited:

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
I think the main arrogance of religion is the presumption of truth. It loves to actually jump philosophically beyond whatever "truth" means. Unlike philosophy, it is afraid of raising questions which we may never answer.

Instead, it starts at the finish line and gives answers which we may never question!

Well the Christian tradition has been static since its inception 2000 yrs ago- for the literalist nothing can ever change. The sticking point of humanity- a draw back of growth! We now at least know that we are animals- we have machines, numerous modes of transport and communication, health and established legal systems, all triumphs of man. You can't deny these- God (even if we allow his existence) played a deistic role at the most. Yet to deny man the right to "think" about the core questions of his existence, to outright deny our worth, is an insult!

Take these answers! They were written down by men less educated then yourself (actually, perhaps orated and written by others, further reducing accuracy) but do not question. This is it. Revelation. Believe or suffer. This will never change. The species of homo sapiens had been around for at least a few hundred thousand years (or even only 6000 for you apologists) but no, God only decided to interfere in a barren, isolated part of the Middle East 2000 years ago and spread his message through one man who was born to a woman who was impregnated without sperm. Forget the populations in Asia at the time. Forget the Australian Aboriginals. The Barbarians of the North. The Natives in Central/South America. This is the final message! Stuff all the other theologies! Fuck you Zeus! Venus! Mars! Horis! Amen-Re! Gods of the East! Aztec Gods with long names! Dreamtime Snakes! If you don't get this message or believe, bad luck. Just to be an asshole, I'm not going to send my son to the centre of human population (aka Rome) to really put the word out there, gonna be some real under the radar shit.

Man, need I go on. I think the Judeo-Christian God failed Marketing101!

It's not my fault I don't believe, its non-effective market segmentation! The Bible lacks a solid SWOT analysis. I mean on a positioning map, where does it stand? Other brands certainly have some equally 'strong' claims?

Last edited:

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
Seriously, if you want teachings on love, peace, kindness and need a 'religious source', Buddhist's do it best and they do away with the theology (for the most part). The Buddha preceded Jesus anyway, (by about 500 yrs), I'd actually say much of Jesus’ teachings are a copy (at least if not from him, but from Greek philosophy such as Platos "the Republic" and even just rehashes of Mosaic Law)
It is not about finding a religion that suits us...
Adultery
You have heard that it was said, "You shall not commit adultery." But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
If your right eye makes you stumble, tear it out and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. If your right hand makes you stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to go into hell.
all that is saying is that if something is causing us to stumble, remove it from our lives

Murder

You have heard that the ancients were told, "You shall not commit murder" and "Whoever commits murder shall be liable to the court."
But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, "You good-for-nothing," shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, "You fool," shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.
this is saying if you hate you are liable before God, and it is sinful.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
All I will say on this topic is if God exists for you, then he does.
If he doesn't, then he doesn't.
I personally don't. I'm a person of physical evidence.

If people can believe in someone or something that gives them hope, that brings them through every day, then that's fine. God is good for them.

But, I'm Atheist. Don't even believe we are all here for a reason.

No one will ever truly know if 'God' existed or not.

Funny how this post is so popular. o.0

Though, one thing that shits me is this one time I went to a church youth group with my mate.. Just for numbers.
And they actually talked about channeling energy through their pastor. He or She stood in the middle and their church people gathered around them, with one hand on them and chanted...

That freaked the hell out of me..

But anyway! Good luck with your discussion. =P
God does not stop existing just because you do not believe in him.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I think the main arrogance of religion is the presumption of truth. It loves to actually jump philosophically beyond whatever "truth" means. Unlike philosophy, it is afraid of raising questions which we may never answer.

Instead, it starts at the finish line and gives answers which we may never question!

Well the Christian tradition has been static since its inception 2000 yrs ago- for the literalist nothing can ever change. The sticking point of humanity- a draw back of growth! We now at least know that we are animals- we have machines, numerous modes of transport and communication, health and established legal systems, all triumphs of man. You can't deny these- God (even if we allow his existence) played a deistic role at the most. Yet to deny man the right to "think" about the core questions of his existence, to outright deny our worth, is an insult!

Take these answers! They were written down by men less educated then yourself (actually, perhaps orated and written by others, further reducing accuracy) but do not question. This is it. Revelation. Believe or suffer. This will never change. The species of homo sapiens had been around for at least a few hundred thousand years (or even only 6000 for you apologists) but no, God only decided to interfere in a barren, isolated part of the Middle East 2000 years ago and spread his message through one man who was born to a woman who was impregnated without sperm. Forget the populations in Asia at the time. Forget the Australian Aboriginals. The Barbarians of the North. The Natives in Central/South America. This is the final message! Stuff all the other theologies! Fuck you Zeus! Venus! Mars! Horis! Amen-Re! Gods of the East! Aztec Gods with long names! Dreamtime Snakes! If you don't get this message or believe, bad luck. Just to be an asshole, I'm not going to send my son to the centre of human population (aka Rome) to really put the word out there, gonna be some real under the radar shit.

Man, need I go on. I think the Judeo-Christian God failed Marketing101!

It's not my fault I don't believe, its non-effective market segmentation! The Bible lacks a solid SWOT analysis. I mean on a positioning map, where does it stand? Other brands certainly have some equally 'strong' claims?
shut up dood:cool:

slip00knot

HSC
the bottom line is that nobody can prove whether there is a god or not. although i like what death roses said about if you believe then there is for you. and if not then vice versa

i personally am an atheist. but i do hope there's something up there. because i hate the idea of no afterlife
that being said i believe that if there is a heaven, you should be judged by who you are as a person. not what you believe
i also like the idea of some people believing, if it helps them feel better about themselves as a person or whatever their reason my be, then good on them. i'm not gonna say who you can or cant believe in

i think that the whole idea of arguments for the sake of religion is ridiculous and neither side will ever win.
i just think people should be more respecting of other's beliefs. whatever they may be.
hope that made sense :)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
i personally am an atheist. but i do hope there's something up there. because i hate the idea of no afterlife
What? Wouldn't that then mean you're agnostic? How can you categorically not believe in a God, but secretly wish there was one coz you'd like to believe in the afterlife.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
What? Wouldn't that then mean you're agnostic? How can you categorically not believe in a God, but secretly wish there was one coz you'd like to believe in the afterlife.
Well technically, you can be both (like me).

slip00knot

HSC
good point. i guess i would be agnostic then.
i just never delved that much into religion. but yeah. your right

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
come to canberra an cuddle me for a while nothing weird

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)