• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Well technically, you can be both (like me).
Explain this concept to me.

TBH I think he is more agnostic than atheist, possibly confused by the meanings. I'm as atheist as one can get, and I have no desire for there to be an afterlife.

I just want to sleep when I'm dead.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Explain this concept to me.

TBH I think he is more agnostic than atheist, possibly confused by the meanings. I'm as atheist as one can get, and I have no desire for there to be an afterlife.

I just want to sleep when I'm dead.
I am agnostic (I agree that we can never prove either way if there is a God, and I accept the remote possibility of one) while being a functional atheist (however, given this remoteness I put God in the same category as the tooth fairy, and actively do not believe there is a God/tooth fairy).

Yeah, the idea of an afterlife horrifies me.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
shut up dood:cool:
No, it’s relevant to the thread.

You love giving us your half-poetic spiels and anecdotes but then you completely ignore any point I make.

Iron face it, your obviously a smart guy and probably nice, but your indoctrinated beyond belief. I pity you for this lack of intellectual freedom. There is current neurology research which even explains that there is a "religious" area of your brain which once it has been activated (since you were young) the thought of even challenging something you hold so near as reality is painful. It’s cemented in through cognitive functions and your static on the issue- you never let up; consider other opinions, the weight of evidence for "no God", the illusory claims etc

People have raised extremely good points- and you turn to ad hominem (not very Christian).

I think in your heart you know you hold onto a lie- you would never admit it, but deep down you question it more then anyone (why else would you even be here?). It’s ludicrous to participate in a debate though without any chance of changing your position- it wastes everybody's time. If you showed me evidence of God, I'd "believe" in an instant (be irrational not to).

But until that day, the burden lies with you. At this moment all you do is spread a message of love- that's fine of course, but it does nothing to prove the existence of god. You believe that because your “love” for family has some kind of supernatural backing it supersedes the love atheists or non-Christians have, and that is a sickeningly arrogant position. I’ll give that the story of Jesus (in parts) provides a nice parable for how to live and treat others- a reminder of healthy interactions with the species, but that is it. So does the story of the Buddha and its equally valid. Nevertheless, this frivolous attempt to paint any atheists as immoral is helpless- I know of the relationships I have with my family and the world and I’d take the Pepsi challenge with you any day of the week!

Given this, I respect your liberty to believe in a simple message of “love” as it is essentially benign. Yet, this is not the message propagated by many religious sects (from all denominations) around the world. Hate, bigotry, attacks on scientific truths and wars over “holy rights” are at the epicenter of religious dogma- personal spirituality (your relationship with this world is ok) but large scale indoctrinations of demographics is a growing concern for mankind- many people say religion is what brought us into this world, I can definitely see it being what takes us all out of this world. The inevitable political nature of superstitious doctrine is concerning (just look at the religious right)- and politics for me means affecting someone else’s liberty- whether it is laws on capital punishment (often strongly biblically correlated), abortion, marriage, sexuality rights, eugenics, science education- the list goes on. I don’t need someone less rational then myself deciding my future.

slip00knot

HSC

You love giving us your half-poetic spiels and anecdotes but then you completely ignore any point I make.

Iron face it, your obviously a smart guy and probably nice, but your indoctrinated beyond belief. I pity you for this lack of intellectual freedom. There is current neurology research which even explains that there is a "religious" area of your brain which once it has been activated (since you were young) the thought of even challenging something you hold so near as reality is painful. It’s cemented in through cognitive functions and your static on the issue- you never let up; consider other opinions, the weight of evidence for "no God", the illusory claims etc

People have raised extremely good points- and you turn to ad hominem (not very Christian).

I think in your heart you know you hold onto a lie- you would never admit it, but deep down you question it more then anyone (why else would you even be here?). It’s ludicrous to participate in a debate though without any chance of changing your position- it wastes everybody's time. If you showed me evidence of God, I'd "believe" in an instant (be irrational not to).

But until that day, the burden lies with you. At this moment all you do is spread a message of love- that's fine of course, but it does nothing to prove the existence of god. You believe that because your “love” for family has some kind of supernatural backing it supersedes the love atheists or non-Christians have, and that is a sickeningly arrogant position. I’ll give that the story of Jesus (in parts) provides a nice parable for how to live and treat others- a reminder of healthy interactions with the species, but that is it. So does the story of the Buddha and its equally valid. Nevertheless, this frivolous attempt to paint any atheists as immoral is helpless- I know of the relationships I have with my family and the world and I’d take the Pepsi challenge with you any day of the week!

Given this, I respect your liberty to believe in a simple message of “love” as it is essentially benign. Yet, this is not the message propagated by many religious sects (from all denominations) around the world. Hate, bigotry, attacks on scientific truths and wars over “holy rights” are at the epicenter of religious dogma- personal spirituality (your relationship with this world is ok) but large scale indoctrinations of demographics is a growing concern for mankind- many people say religion is what brought us into this world, I can definitely see it being what takes us all out of this world. The inevitable political nature of superstitious doctrine is concerning (just look at the religious right)- and politics for me means affecting someone else’s liberty- whether it is laws on capital punishment (often strongly biblically correlated), abortion, marriage, sexuality rights, eugenics, science education- the list goes on. I don’t need someone less rational then myself deciding my future.
wow

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Ive had my wilderness years, broseph, and I am not without any doubts. But debating Iron is a rich and unique experience of learning and enlightenment. If I appear unmovable, then that is merely your impression. The fact is that I am compelled to act in this way due to the weight of numbers against me. As long as there is one shining light in this dank and uninviting place, (hello!) there will be those who choose to hang onto Christ and not give in to death.

Stop trying to paint me as a 'religious' person with 'religious' ideas. I'm only a Catholic - a lay person of the universal faith which preaches love and hope, not hate and greed.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Ive had my wilderness years, broseph, and I am not without any doubts. But debating Iron is a rich and unique experience of learning and enlightenment. If I appear unmovable, then that is merely your impression. The fact is that I am compelled to act in this way due to the weight of numbers against me. As long as there is one shining light in this dank and uninviting place, (hello!) there will be those who choose to hang onto Christ and not give in to death.

Stop trying to paint me as a 'religious' person with 'religious' ideas. I'm only a Catholic - a lay person of the universal faith which preaches love and hope, not hate and greed.
I do accept that the numbers do outweigh you. I guess my only major quarrel with you is that I also "preach" love (you wouldn't know, as you don't know me). I live quite a minimalist life and I do not have greedy ambitions, I'd actually like to go into human rights or do economic research on income distribution strategies- like 'microcredit' etc.

However, from your posts, I always got the sense that you promoting "Jesus" as the only way to live a good life- all others are heathens- adulterous, greed mongering whores!

I then look at American politics- men like George Bush and the majority of the Republician party who embrace Christ in their lives- they are some of the most unloving (well i know its appearances), greedy people.

I'm off anyway, I have a blood test.

Edit: I skimmed your first para, but I'm interested in this notion of "giving into death"- pleas explain what you mean by that? Would you say a motivating factor is this notion of living for eternity?

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I do accept that the numbers do outweigh you. I guess my only major quarrel with you is that I also "preach" love (you wouldn't know, as you don't know me). I live quite a minimalist life and I do not have greedy ambitions, I'd actually like to go into human rights or do economic research on income distribution strategies- like 'microcredit' etc.

However, from your posts, I always got the sense that you promoting "Jesus" as the only way to live a good life- all others are heathens- adulterous, greed mongering whores!

I then look at American politics- men like George Bush and the majority of the Republician party who embrace Christ in their lives- they are some of the most unloving (well i know its appearances), greedy people.

I'm off anyway, I have a blood test.

Edit: I skimmed your first para, but I'm interested in this notion of "giving into death"- pleas explain what you mean by that? Would you say a motivating factor is this notion of living for eternity?
Na, Catholic. Prots are heretics, learn the roolz

For your edit: I dont understand your fascination with this idea that Christians only believe because they are stupid and selfish - i.e. they believe in a fiction enough to see that it's in their material interests to go along with it. I doubt that anyone could sincerely sustain such a self-serving interpretation of their God. Such an interpretation merely shows that the person never really believed to begin with, but rather was 'hedging' to save their butt - as if life merely carries on as normal in heaven, with people doing their own private thing, only paying lip-service to God when he's around.
Rule #1! I am the Lord your God, thou shall have no other Gods before me!
This includes yourself. The believer must totally surrender his ego.

Christ Himself is the Life. To see the Father, thou shall go through our Saviour here on earth (read: through the Church). To retain all vain ambitions of earthy glory and power, for your own sake, is not what Christ was about. Rather this is the dark path to all that is fleeting, to all that is not the life everlasting (read: death)

Brontecat

HSC
How on earth are protestants heretics, I know some churches can be dodgy but most are certainly not.
Protestants are not heretics:
"heretic: a person who holds religious beliefs in conflict with the dogma of the Roman Catholic Church"
"protestant: any of several denominations of Christianity that separated from the Roman Catholic Church based on theological or political differences"

so by technical definition protestants reject certain beliefs of Roman Catholics thus holding beliefs in conflict with the dogma of the Roman Catholic Church.

however it is quiete a blunt way of putting it, they are technically different branches of a religion but still hold the same leaves (so to speak) therefore have a greater range of similarities than differences.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Up yours mods. You sit their on your fat arses, never post anything, never shape any discussion, but deem my psychologically important yet physically impotent threats as deletable

Brontecat

HSC
Up yours mods. You sit their on your fat arses, never post anything, never shape any discussion, but deem my psychologically important threats as deletable
psychologically important? how is insulting a person supposed to demonstrate the very values that you are trying to speak of?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
They enhance my prestige, make others fear to oppose my will and provide neutral onlookers with what I call educainment. The power of Iron comes at the reader with the stealth of a sheep in wolve's clothing. Heed to the throbbing ju ju drums demanding a sacrifice

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
They enhance my prestige, make others fear to oppose my will and provide neutral onlookers with what I call educainment. The power of Iron comes at the reader with the stealth of a sheep in wolve's clothing. Heed to the throbbing ju ju drums demanding a sacrifice
Whats your arts major?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
polski bro. but im done with those carefree days. Noew i use bos as almost the sole outlet of my pent up frustrated lolartsfaggery

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
polski bro. but im done with those carefree days. Noew i use bos as almost the sole outlet of my pent up frustrated lolartsfaggery
lol fair enough

I would have picked english literature...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)