Does God exist? (3 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Speed’o’sound Sonic

HSC
What is life without pain?
An important point to consider. Without some form of pain, sadness or anger, how can there be happiness, joy, etc? It all seems relative. How can you be ‘happy’ if it’s all you’ve ever known? It would seem to just be the norm, and would go unappreciated.
tbh that’s why the idea of ‘heaven’ struck me as a bit weird. Still believe though, God works in mysterious ways

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I would argue that the intricacy of life is proof of God's existence.
See life does seem highly unlikely to occur. I remember reading soo many times how when cooling down even if something almost negligible was different the universe as we know it wouldn’t have existed. With that being said it’s not an objective proof. Objective proof would be for example if God itself came down to Earth or something and spoke to all of humanity or whatever, or if someone from the dead could come back alive and bring evidence of a heaven or what not. Sure how un-probable we are to exist can suggest something external at play but suggesting is not the same as proving. There are soo many things in life that have like a 1 in millions chance of happening and still happen because that’s how probability works.

There’s a wonderful quote which I adore.

“If there are gods and they are just, they will not care about how devout you have been but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods but they are unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no Gods you will be gone but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones” - Marcus Aurelius.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
See life does seem highly unlikely to occur. I remember reading soo many times how when cooling down even if something almost negligible was different the universe as we know it wouldn’t have existed. With that being said it’s not an objective proof. Objective proof would be for example if God itself came down to Earth or something and spoke to all of humanity or whatever, or if someone from the dead could come back alive and bring evidence of a heaven or what not. Sure how un-probable we are to exist can suggest something external at play but suggesting is not the same as proving. There are soo many things in life that have like a 1 in millions chance of happening and still happen because that’s how probability works.
It’s kind of similar to our evolution in knowledge of a black hole.

Back in the old days Scientists had many theories regarding why our observations of the galaxy are not consistent with our calculations, there were theories that existed and black holes was one of them. Just like God some people believed it others didn’t and it was just a suggestion/theory. However now we actually have a real photo of a black hole and it matches everything we calculated and observed so that’s an objective proof confirming black holes in fact do exist.

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
It’s kind of similar to our evolution in knowledge of a black hole.

Back in the old days Scientists had many theories regarding why our observations of the galaxy are not consistent with our calculations, there were theories that existed and black holes was one of them. Just like God some people believed it others didn’t and it was just a suggestion/theory. However now we actually have a real photo of a black hole and it matches everything we calculated and observed so that’s an objective proof confirming black holes in fact do exist.
You speak as though science and god cannot co-exist, when in fact they do.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
You speak as though science and god cannot co-exist, when in fact they do.
Well I never said that. They may co-exist hundreds of years in the future. Maybe Science finds proof of a God existing, maybe some kind of machine is invented and is able to transport us to and from the dimension where Heaven exists. Endless possibilities. What I’m saying is I don’t believe in it right now because there’s no objective evidence.

Right now our current understanding of Science can not coexist with God. Not gonna cherry-pick any one religion to talk about but many religious interpretations of God and how it all began are put forward with no evidence at all.

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
Well for example if god or heaven existed it would obviously have to exist in some other higher dimension that we can not see or travel to right now. However so far only 4 dimensions have been proven with time being the 4th one. The rest of the ‘proposed’ dimensions are just theories and not proven laws, so with our current laws of Physics it can not coexist.
I will admit i have 0 knowledge on whatever you just said so unfortunately i cannot rebut, welp.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I will admit i have 0 knowledge on whatever you just said so unfortunately i cannot rebut, welp.
Yeah that’s kinda my bad I gave a really bad example that even I find weird.

What I’m trying to say is in the grand scheme of things it seems like they can go hand in hand but getting into the nitty gritty it really raises a lot of alarming questions that we have no Scientific explanation for because science hasn’t gotten up to that point yet.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

Speed’o’sound Sonic

HSC
ofc you should, everyone would be happy then. if there was a god this would be the case.

no religions lel

That's called confirmation bias. It's like saying i found a comic of spiderman so he must be real as well
Eliminating all pain would in no way make all people happy imho.
Without pain there could be no happiness, as people would have no opposite to judge it against, and hence would see it as the norm.
And I think you totally misunderstood what I said and compared it to a comic 😂 let’s keep things civil and respect other’s beliefs yeah : )

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Eliminating all pain would in no way make all people happy imho.
Without pain there could be no happiness, as people would have no opposite to judge it against, and hence would see it as the norm.
And I think you totally misunderstood what I said and compared it to a comic 😂 let’s keep things civil and respect other’s beliefs yeah : )
yeah that's true, if there were no pain people will just start to expect more and more and never be happy

I prob did misunderstand. I myself am atheist and don't believe in any religious texts which is why I compare bibles etc to comics cos that is all that I think they are.

Speed’o’sound Sonic

HSC
What don't you agree with the bible on, there is a strong foundation of morals even for non-believers.
Don’t agree with the beginning of the Old Testament when God was killing people for stealing, etc.
Also believe people should be free to have their own sexual preferences/beliefs.
And some of the 10 commandments are Wack haha.

HSC
N/A
What don't you agree with the bible on, there is a strong foundation of morals even for non-believers.
100%

And some of the 10 commandments are Wack haha.
  1. You shall have no other gods before Me.
  2. You shall not make idols.
  3. You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
  4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
  5. Honor your father and your mother.
  6. You shall not murder.
  7. You shall not commit adultery.
  8. You shall not steal.
  9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
  10. You shall not covet.
Which ones if you don't mind me asking?

Speed’o’sound Sonic

HSC
100%

1. You shall have no other gods before Me.
  2. You shall not make idols.
  3. You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
  4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
  5. Honor your father and your mother.
  6. You shall not murder.
  7. You shall not commit adultery.
  8. You shall not steal.
  9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
  10. You shall not covet.
Which ones if you don't mind me asking?
I’m not sure what it’s called, I’m Christian but just a bit more loose haha.
I don’t agree with the second, I try my best to support other religious beliefs too

HSC
N/A
I’m not sure what it’s called, I’m Christian but just a bit more loose haha.
I don’t agree with the second
Fair enough. I think the second commandment is a bit tricky because of how people might interpret it. I believe it's asking us not to make idols so that our focus on our faith in God isn't affected. Sometimes we may idolise a figure whom we think is good but isn't. Other times we might be so influenced by someone to the point where we consider them a god.

There is a difference between idolising a particular figure, and appreciating whatever positive contributions they have made to our world. The former should be directed at God, and the latter can be directed at any person, where applicable.

I try my best to support other religious beliefs too
I'm pretty sure supporting other religious beliefs does not necessarily imply idolising a particular key figure from a different religion. In fact, supporting other religious beliefs only serves to promote peace between different religious groups, which is definitely a Christian understanding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)