Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
gerhard said:
Do you know that america exists?

This is the philosophical area of inquiry known as epistemology. It generally deals with what we can actually 'know' about the world.

The quote in question was said by the good Bishop Berkeley I believe.

here might be a goop place to start
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Berkeley#Contributions_to_Philosophy
Shit. That is awesome. I used to think about this kind of thing all the time. Cheers for the link :)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
"…as if it were a brilliant star……..whose oil is well lit, even no fire touches it." 24:35

Look everyone! The quran says fossil fuels power the stars!

Salima

HSC
gerhard said:
Im not saying the quran doesnt say things, Im saying what the quran says isnt very interesting because either
1. people already knew all the stuff it says anyway with regards to science
2. its so vague that any meaning can be drawn from it (see:fingerprints)

read here and a bit further down the page
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?p=2133530#post2133530
Are you serious? Man most of the stuff int he qur'an science wise was not known back then how many times daoes that need ot be said. I'll give you an example, the embryo, the word alaqah means ""Blood clot" We find that the external appearance of the embryo and its sacs during the alaqah stage is similar to that of a blood clot. This is due to the presence of relatively large amonst of blood present in the embryo during this stage. Also during this stage the blood in the embryo does not cirvulate until the end of the third week. Thus, the embryo at this stage is like a clot of blood.

So the three meanings of the word alaqah corresponds accurately to teh descrption of the embryo at the alaqah atage.

The next stage mentioned in the verse is the medghah stage. The arabic word mudghah means "cheawed substance". If one were to tkae a piece of gum and chew it in his our her mouth and then compare it with an embryo at the mudghah stage, we would conclude that the embryo at the mudghah stage is similar in appearnce to a chewed substance. This is becuase of the somites at the back of the embryo that "somewhat resembles teethmarks in a chewed substane".

How owuld Muhammad (pbuh) have possibly known all this baout fourteen hundreed years ago, when scientists have only recetly discovered this using advanced equipment and powerful microscopes which did not exist at the time?

By the way..In 1981, during the Seventh Medical Conference in Dammam Saudi Arabia, Professer Moore (one of hte world's prominent scientist in the feilds of anatomy and embryology, and granted the J.C.B. Grant Award from the Canadian Association of Anatomists) had this to say: "I has been a great pleasure for me to help clarify staements in the Qur'an about human development. It is clear to me that these statements must have coem to MUhammad from God, becuase almost all of this knowledge was not discovered until many centuries later. This proves to me that Muhammad must have been the messenger of God."

Consequently, Professor Moore was asked the following question: "Does this means you believe that the Qur'an is the word of God." He replied: " I fidn no difficulty in accepting this...He also said that "Becuase of the staging og human embryos is complex, owing to the continous process of change durign developemnt, it is prosped that a new system of classification be developed using the terms mentioned inthe UQr'an and SUnnah."

Salima

HSC
withoutaface said:
"…as if it were a brilliant star……..whose oil is well lit, even no fire touches it." 24:35

Don't be redicukous your just twisting things now for the fun of it!

You know very well that it is saying that beucase oil burns so well, and seems not to go out,and will keep birning as long as there is something ot consume, then this is what the sun is like. Even though no fire of human kind has ever touched it or will touch it, beucase if you try you will burn.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
But it is not oil. It could have said "whose fuel is well lit", and would have indeed done so if it had known that the Sun was powered by nuclear means.

davin

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Based on probability those pieces, over trillions of years, will eventually form another singularity and create a second (or 1528917125th) big bang.
according to present theories, thats not the case. or at least, from the last i read on the subject, it looks like the universe is expanding at a faster rate than it had been, so with it speeding up, theres no sign that the universe will collapse in on itself. Granted, this is dependant on if the constasts we look at actually stay constant or not, and so there is a lot that is very theoretical (also as this is very hard to prove, based on the time frames involved).

withoutaface said:

if thats the actual translation, thats an analogy, not a definition of it.

Salima said:
How do you get 3 boos, very simliar in words, and even identical in others if the prophets are all false and just crazy people making uop stuff.
Which three books are you talking about? The three main ones would be the respective scriptures of Judaism, Chrstianity, and Islam, and those three are all related as all are considered Abrhamic religions. They all come from the same region of the world, early Christianity was initially a branch of Judiasm, and Islam followed far later, though I'm less familiar in its more detailed place within the region. They still all originated in the same area of the world and its fully belivable that they influenced one another. Also related would be Zorasterism, which also shares a few similarities and is also the same area of the world.

What I would think the better question is, if the proof of God is multiple religions saying the same things, why is monotheism relativly unique to that area the world, and most areas of the world saw primarily polotheistic belifs, be it the Greeks and Romans in Europe, the Egyptians in Africa, or Hinduism in Asia.

davin

HSC
N/A
Salima said:
Don't be redicukous your just twisting things now for the fun of it!

You know very well that it is saying that beucase oil burns so well, and seems not to go out,and will keep birning as long as there is something ot consume, then this is what the sun is like. Even though no fire of human kind has ever touched it or will touch it, beucase if you try you will burn.
Well, the sun isn't burning, period, so thats a dangerous part to try to emphasise

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
its funyn how, muslims try to explain how accurate the quran is when it comes to do with science, but its onnly accurate if you change words around, and you egnore the litarral meaning and use some farfetched explanation.

oh and by the way , the quran still sais, the sperm comes from the area around the kidneys. tsk tsk how fuking wrong is th at

HSC
SashatheMan said:
its funyn how, muslims try to explain how accurate the quran is when it comes to do with science, but its onnly accurate if you change words around, and you egnore the litarral meaning and use some farfetched explanation.

oh and by the way , the quran still sais, the sperm comes from the area around the kidneys. tsk tsk how fuking wrong is th at
I guess they're right, in that it's closer to the kidneys than it is to the forehead (On most people) :)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
ogmzergrush said:
I guess they're right, in that it's closer to the kidneys than it is to the forehead (On most people) :)
what? they say its made in the kidneys and they think that its the firsdt time that idea was thought of, when in actual fact the greeks said it 400 yars earlier

HSC
SashatheMan said:
what? they say its made in the kidneys and they think that its the firsdt time that idea was thought of, when in actual fact the greeks said it 400 yars earlier
Oh actually "in" the kidneys? The first time when you said near I thought it might be an approximation, and commented that they are sort of close, in that it's closer than if they said it was made in the forehead.

If they say in the actual kidneys, well, more power to Allah I guess! :)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Salima said:
It was told to us in all the books that it will eventually end.

Question to all the abnostics and atheists:

How do you get 3 boos, very simliar in words, and even identical in others if the prophets are all false and just crazy people making uop stuff. DOn't say they heard it somewhere and decided to use it to play a hoaz onthe world. In mUhammad's saudi arabia they were all pagans. Some jews here and htere. But pagan. In muhammad's area expecially there had been no talk of the previous prophets, yet in the holy qur'an it says all their names and what deeds they did and performed, this is why muslims believe in the others, because the qur'an told us of them where no one new of them before.
Your points about prophets and scientific accuracy were addressed in the first page of this thread.

Please read here and here.

Last edited:

gerhard

HSC
Salima said:
Are you serious? Man most of the stuff int he qur'an science wise was not known back then how many times daoes that need ot be said. I'll give you an example, the embryo, the word alaqah means ""Blood clot" We find that the external appearance of the embryo and its sacs during the alaqah stage is similar to that of a blood clot. This is due to the presence of relatively large amonst of blood present in the embryo during this stage. Also during this stage the blood in the embryo does not cirvulate until the end of the third week. Thus, the embryo at this stage is like a clot of blood.

So the three meanings of the word alaqah corresponds accurately to teh descrption of the embryo at the alaqah atage.

The next stage mentioned in the verse is the medghah stage. The arabic word mudghah means "cheawed substance". If one were to tkae a piece of gum and chew it in his our her mouth and then compare it with an embryo at the mudghah stage, we would conclude that the embryo at the mudghah stage is similar in appearnce to a chewed substance. This is becuase of the somites at the back of the embryo that "somewhat resembles teethmarks in a chewed substane".

How owuld Muhammad (pbuh) have possibly known all this baout fourteen hundreed years ago, when scientists have only recetly discovered this using advanced equipment and powerful microscopes which did not exist at the time?

By the way..In 1981, during the Seventh Medical Conference in Dammam Saudi Arabia, Professer Moore (one of hte world's prominent scientist in the feilds of anatomy and embryology, and granted the J.C.B. Grant Award from the Canadian Association of Anatomists) had this to say: "I has been a great pleasure for me to help clarify staements in the Qur'an about human development. It is clear to me that these statements must have coem to MUhammad from God, becuase almost all of this knowledge was not discovered until many centuries later. This proves to me that Muhammad must have been the messenger of God."

Consequently, Professor Moore was asked the following question: "Does this means you believe that the Qur'an is the word of God." He replied: " I fidn no difficulty in accepting this...He also said that "Becuase of the staging og human embryos is complex, owing to the continous process of change durign developemnt, it is prosped that a new system of classification be developed using the terms mentioned inthe UQr'an and SUnnah."

Did you actually read any of the links I told you to read? I already posted an article that refutes pretty much everything you said, before you said it. Everything the Quran says about Embryology was previously said by Galen, and the professor you are quoting has already said that he was mistaken. And it says all of this on the link I already posted.
http://www.bible.ca/islam/islam-myths-embryology.htm

You are embarassing yourself here. Seriously, if you expect me to read your responses, you could at least have the courtesy of reading mine.

Last edited:

Riqtay

Assistant Member
HSC
Moonlight Sonata, let me get this straight. You believe that there are creations, yet the universe wasn't created.

I believe that this is a biased application of logic.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Moonlight Sonata, let me get this straight. You believe that there are creations, yet the universe wasn't created.

a) you are assuming that everything in the universe is a creation... that begs the question.

b) it is quite possible that the universe was created, most evolutionary theory points to a down-up creator rather than an up-down creator... but it's still creation.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Riqtay said:

I believe that knives exist. I however believe that this keyboard is not a knife.

Where's the contradiction?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
gerhard said:
Did you actually read any of the links I told you to read? I already posted an article that refutes pretty much everything you said, before you said it. Everything the Quran says about Embryology was previously said by Galen, and the professor you are quoting has already said that he was mistaken. And it says all of this on the link I already posted.
http://www.bible.ca/islam/islam-myths-embryology.htm

You are embarassing yourself here. Seriously, if you expect me to read your responses, you could at least have the courtesy of reading mine.
U do realise, that your source (Gerhard's link) is biased. u can tell by the url.

look at these links

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/dyktb.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galen

u have the wrong source Gerhard, islamic medicine derived from Greek scholars.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)