Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
Pi is not three. We know that much. So who do you believe? Science, or the Bible? You didn't answer the question.

And it's important because it goes towards what science you'd ignore because it contradicts the Bible - like the fact that the world's about 4.5 billion years old as opposed to 6-8 thousand.
You didnt ask the question i dont know why you are expecting my answer.
Just because i am nice:
I would ignore any science that contradicts the bible. Well , not so much as ignore , but it certainly will not impare my faith

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
*TRUE* said:
You didnt ask the question i dont know why you are expecting my answer.
Just because i am nice:
I would ignore any science that contradicts the bible. Well , not so much as ignore , but it certainly will not impare my faith
So you believe that the world is 6-8 thousand years old, that humans didn't evolve (that in fact evolution does not exist because everything that has ever existed was created by God in Genesis), that somehow all the animals in the world are descended from the pair of animals that went onto the ark to escape the flood, etc.

phatchance

HSC
Spiritually speaking I think I am probably closest to the Buddhist interpretation of life and death. I believe in cyclical energy transference and earnestly believe I will re experience life in an infinite number of combinations, infinite times. I believe that at the same time as God exists, I am God, I also believe that you are all probably God.

I also like to believe in Good and Evil, Ying & Yang and free will outside of the rigid Newtonian interpretation of the universe. These are non-scientific concepts that I have resolved myself towards, outside of empirical evidence, because I believe they give importance to the universe. Maybe that's a self justification, or maybe it's inherent to the nature of things and the sterility you're trying to impose on life is an affront to human nature. So many of you are scientific people, yet still seem to believe you have free will? Do you think anyone chooses to be religious? Do you think you really chose not to be? If our actions are predetermined by the Physical interrelation of atomic energies, why do you bother trying to topple dogmas?

RohanZ

Pan fried Steak
HSC
There are some parts of science that can't be explained and some parts of religion that can't be explained. Mix the two together, bring to boil, simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve whilst hot. Serves 4.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
phatchance said:
Spiritually speaking I think I am probably closest to the Buddhist interpretation of life and death. I believe in cyclical energy transference and earnestly believe I will re experience life in an infinite number of combinations, infinite times. I believe that at the same time as God exists, I am God, I also believe that you are all probably God.

I also like to believe in Good and Evil, Ying & Yang and free will outside of the rigid Newtonian interpretation of the universe. These are non-scientific concepts that I have resolved myself towards, outside of empirical evidence, because I believe they give importance to the universe. Maybe that's a self justification, or maybe it's inherent to the nature of things and the sterility you're trying to impose on life is an affront to human nature. So many of you are scientific people, yet still seem to believe you have free will? Do you think anyone chooses to be religious? Do you think you really chose not to be? If our actions are predetermined by the Physical interrelation of atomic energies, why do you bother trying to topple dogmas?
If you want to push the issue I don't think we really have free will, since Newtonian physics is a sufficiently accurate approximation at the macro-scale that you can determine exactly what's going to happen given all the information

But it doesn't feel like that (since we don't yet have a big enough computer to load up the information about every particle in the universe and calculate the future of the universe and everyone in it) so i'm not bothered by it.

In any case why bother believing all that make-believe for no (you admitted it) real reason?

Why say particles are part of god, and not that they're just particles?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Even if we 're experience' life it really means nothing, I mean what is your concept of self? As far as anyones concept of self goes, we are born and we die, even if we are reborn we never experience life that way, so it's inconsequencial.

free will outside of the rigid Newtonian interpretation of the universe.
We have no free will, all we have that we cannot determine are quantum uncertainties which are still probabalistic to a point where they bother us in our lives fairly minimally...

So many of you are scientific people, yet still seem to believe you have free will?
I believe in free will as a construct with grey edges, along with the notion of 'self'.

Do you think anyone chooses to be religious?
As much as I think anyone chooses to do anything... yeah.

Do you think you really chose not to be?
As much as I think anyone chooses to do anything... yeah.

If our actions are predetermined by the Physical interrelation of atomic energies, why do you bother trying to topple dogmas?
I bother because that's where my construction of identity leads me, even though it's ultimately incorrect, I can no more abandon it than I can abandon any other part of my reality.

phatchance

HSC
I personally don't believe in God in a traditional, biblical sense, the main reason I weigh in here is because I also don't believe contemporary science provides any definite answers, I think it is wrong to criticise others for their beliefs, when the evidence we are basing our judgements on is not truly so much stronger.

The Brain in a vat thought experiment demonstrates (as I tried to illustrate with my constructive machine example) that our perception of the universe is entirely subjective. We can make value judgements based on empirical evidence provided to us, but at the end of the day we are all running around trying to piece together a puzzle, when we have no idea where the box really came from.

Even should be slot the last piece into place and unravel the last mysteries of the universe, in reality we will never know where it all came from, because it could all simply be an illusion. Infact, both simply and quite believably.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Kwayera said:
So you believe that the world is 6-8 thousand years old, that humans didn't evolve (that in fact evolution does not exist because everything that has ever existed was created by God in Genesis), that somehow all the animals in the world are descended from the pair of animals that went onto the ark to escape the flood, etc.
That doesnt accurately represent my beliefs no. but I dont think humans evolved the way u do ,no.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Enteebee said:
We have no free will, all we have that we cannot determine are quantum uncertainties which are still probabalistic to a point where they bother us in our lives fairly minimally...
If you want to know where you are (or your momentum) with better accuracy than the order of 10^-34m then you're out of luck

Otherwise they're not a big deal for us

It's funny though that the universe might have begun with a random, uncaused event only for everything on the macro scale within it to follow deterministic laws

fareezuh

HSC
i read this quote some where:
militant agnsotic: 'i don't know and you don't know either'
:)

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
3unitz said:
it would have been nice if the bible showed some devine knowledge.

"a line of 31.41592654 (rounded) cubits did compass round about it, approximated using
The Bible: Keeping it simple for 2200 years ...

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
I personally don't believe in God in a traditional, biblical sense, the main reason I weigh in here is because I also don't believe contemporary science provides any definite answers, I think it is wrong to criticise others for their beliefs, when the evidence we are basing our judgements on is not truly so much stronger.
So I guess you won't criticise me if I say my belief is that murdering babies is a wonderful thing that will get me into heaven? Honestly, this is sillyness... I'm not criticising people's beliefs, they usually seem to hold two sets of beliefs (I think actually one... but their adament hopes make it seem like two) and I'm arguing from one side of their own beliefs and hoping maybe they'll adopt some consistency.

The Brain in a vat thought experiment demonstrates (as I tried to illustrate with my constructive machine example) that our perception of the universe is entirely subjective. We can make value judgements based on empirical evidence provided to us, but at the end of the day we are all running around trying to piece together a puzzle, when we have no idea where the box really came from.

Even should be slot the last piece into place and unravel the last mysteries of the universe, in reality we will never know where it all came from, because it could all simply be an illusion. Infact, both simply and quite believably.
Most atheists never claim to have these sort of answers, they just offer up the best knowledge they have. It's only theists that ever go making such wild claims.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
It doesn't.

Maybe they drowned in the flood?

Except I don't know how that explains the swimmy ones.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
super-evolution

due to the harsh environment in the post-flood era, the animals on noah's arc experienced ultra-fast speciation, but all within the same kind. So noah only needed a few types of dinosaurs on the ark, one of each kind (e.g. one pair of dogs --> all the wolves, dogs, coyotes, foxes... etc., still dog kind)

However, during the flood most of the land-plants died out due to drowning. Now we know land-plants provide the oxygen in the atmosphere. Well with them all dead there was a lot less oxygen around. So big dinosaurs that needed a lot of air weren't very successful, and they quickly died out.

Smaller animals like mammals and birds flourished, leading to the different kinds that remain today.

EDIT: I didn't make this up myself.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
It looks as though phatchance is just attention whoring to make himself look intellectual. Heaven forbid he actually read the thread, only to discover we aren't a bunch of knee-jerk militant atheists with poorly founded philosophical frameworks (in fact his own is rather dubious).

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Sometimes it feels like just by virtue of believing in God, reasonable people (who just "happen" to believe in God) are treated in the same manner as fundamentalists/biblical literalists.
Sometimes I think fundamentalist is just used as a way to hate on people we don't like because of their social views, it's a nice way to be cordial to those who we otherwise have little problem with.

JonnoisBored

HSC
the question is, does he know we exist?, he might have created stuff and moved on to another galaxy.... ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)