Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

webby234

HSC
N/A
inasero said:
Zalmoxis was an obscure figure and few historical sources were found. The source on which your comparison was based made a wild misinterpretation of vague historical accounts.

http://tektonics.org/copycat/zalmoxis.html

Next myth please.
The author never rebuts the claim that Herodotus claimed that zalmoxis claimed to be god. How is that different to claims that jesus claimed to be god. I don't need to assume anything near as strong as what the author is rebutting. I also don't see the relevance of him being an 'obscure figure'.

But ok, maybe zalmoxis wasn't a good example. I'll concede the point, but all of enteebee's points still stand.

HSC
Enteebee said:
No evidence against 'christianity' ?

a) There is no more evidence for the christian god than there is magical pixies making people fall in love with one another, it is good enough for me to discount magical pixies on this basis (as i'm sure it is for you also) and thus is good enough for me to equally discount the personal christian god.

a2) There is equal evidence for any other religion.

b) There is plenty of rational logic which goes against the concept of a personal god, as well as scientific notions which would need to be broken/bent in some way to allow for a personal god.

c) There is a lot of evidence for the claims of the christian bible being wrong.

d) There is evidence that the bible is indeed very much so a product of man, while this doesn't mean it couldn't still be true, it makes it seem very similar to all the other myths which exist/have existed in our world.
what evidence is there that the bible is wrong?

webby234

HSC
N/A
want2bdifferent said:
If nothing else, i would say that the events presented in the bible (the miracles etc.) contradict what we observe about the world, so the onus is on you to show that there is evidence for the bible being right.

Last edited:
HSC
HSC
webby234 said:
Lol i can't be bothered responding to that. Just learn some history, some science and some basic logic.
Sorry, i am half asleep I must not of read the sites well enough. I have been taking care of children for 3 days and i am exhausted.

webby234

HSC
N/A
want2bdifferent said:
Sorry, i am half asleep I must not of read the sites well enough. I have been taking care of children for 3 days and i am exhausted.
Ok :) Sorry if that sounded like a personal attack. I probably should have said 'the author should learn...'

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
Islams believe jesus is a prophet. =]

but jesus DID exist. just not as a god, or a trinity, or a son of god... ( just religion don't attack me)

Jesus will return and set this battle straight, once and for all anyway. We will know. Or our future generations will know. I'll leave a letter with 'I told you so' on my grave. ;P
I know what muslims believe, my point is to inasero that muslims don't believe jesus ever claimed to be god. For the point of discussion here, here is a basic internet post by a muslim defending why they don't believe jesus ever claimed to be god:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080402191022AAp2Gb3&show=7

inasero said:
The Bible never made claims that "disconfirming" evidence is there to "trick" us, only that confirming evidence had been provided in abundance in times past and would no longer be provided not because there wasn't any, but because people wouldn't believe it anyway (I mean being resurrected after three days, c'mon)
Er it'd be hard to just say 'c'mon' if there was real solid evidence... that's an absolutely terrible argument.

inasero said:
and it would contravene God's requirement that we come to Him by faith.
so then they DIDN'T give confirming evidence in times past? I mean... it's either:

a) God gave confirming evidence in the past and this is ok.
b) God gave confirming evidence and this contravenes his requirement that people come to him by faith.
c) God didn't give confirming evidence in the past.

Might be some others, idk.

want2bdifferent said:
Depends how vaguely you want to interpret different sections etc, but to me there appears to be much wrong... at the very least there is no more 'right' in the bible than there is in the koran, or perhaps even the works of nostradamus.

If you can explain to me the method by which you would disprove either the koran/nostradamus/etc that would not disprove the bible then perhaps I could explain to you why your method is wrong (if it is) or how it also disproves the bible equally well (obviously there'll always be some argument to come back at me with, but I put it to you that the merit of such an argument will be a priori equal to that which I could come up with in defense of the koran/nostrodamus) etc.

The important thing we need to establish here is the logical framework (the heuristic) there are logical frameworks which will allow the bible to 'not be wrong', however I've found these will also equally apply to many other possible claims/religious texts etc.

Last edited:

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
You religious nutjobs are not making believing in 'god' easy with your constant naivety.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
that is your opinion.
Wondered where you'd gotten to.

Where was your camp?

Anyway, on topic: there are some things described in the Bible which correlate with what history/science says, it's true. I'm more interested in what proof if any there is for the more shall we say unrealistic stuff, for example the seven days of creation, which is a concept that has been rebuffed again and again by science.

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
ill post here.

ok first off. i am a muslim. being born in Australia my parents probably tried to put that extra bit of effort to make sure I knew everything Islamic. to me, allhah/god is the same thing.

many Muslim probably gonna think that this guy wasn't even brought up as a proper Muslim but that's pretty wrong. parents made me learn the quran in Arabic even though im not Arab. i can read Arabic better than most Arabs themselves and fluently. i know allot of the chapters in the quran off by heart and for most of my life i used to pray when i wasn't at school. but I’ve reached the age where I can think for myself and understanding the world around me.

now 19, i find it very hard to believe in Adam and eve, virgin birth, god created earth in 6 days, moses spoke to a bush (or some story like that)...all the fundamental beliefs muslim have i am now questioning.

how can Muslims.....i mean how can anyone believe in this stuff without questioning it? believing so easily? And to tell you the truth I want to go back in time and never have to ask myself these questions. because it just gets to my head. its just frustrating...you know what i mean? my parents arnt really conservative muslims, they try their best and stuff.......but they sort of tried so hard to put this into my system and even though i sometimes question it the whole moment gets awkward.

at this moment in time i am probably only Muslim simply because of the science attached to it and a few other stuff that i believe can only come from "god".

Last edited:

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
how can Muslims.....i mean how can anyone believe in this stuff without questioning it? believing so easily? And to tell you the truth I want to go back in time and never have to ask myself these questions. because it just gets to my head.
The answer imo is that they don't really 'believe it so easily', for the most part they don't think about it and when they do they find they can't really believe, but it is something that they really, really wish were true, so they pay hommage to the belief as something to be respected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)