Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

BlackDragon

HSC
And I am to understand that you take this worship of said "Flying Spagetti Monster" seriously?

Quench my curiosity, what exaclty is it that the worshipers of this idol believe in?
Its just a thing to illustrate our point that this call to faith to your god is abitrary and gives us no reason to follow it anymore than any other call to faith, made up being or any other religion.
In continuing the discussion, I was just wondering what your response to this was name_taken?

Last edited:

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
The Bible is the word of God to those with faith, and is under no obligation whatsoever to change, simply because more people in modern society accept homosexuality as a healthy alternative lifestyle.

Uh, you just admitted that the bible is made up of a number of different retrospective books written by bronze age peasent minds/ cult members. And you claim it is the word of a god?

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

This is the 'Word of God'? This is the best book on moral instruction ever written?

Mmm, please take your revolting thoughts back to that rickety outhouse (your mind) next time you need to release your bowls.

Name_Taken

HSC
In continuing the discussion, I was just wondering what your response to this was name_taken?
Well, you even admit to creating this idol, to please yourself. Even to justify yoursef, to justify your rejection of the one true God. Its all artifical. You don't actually worship the Spagetti Monster, however I do worship God.

Unlike the Spagetthi Monster, I did not artificially create God as a means of justifying myself to you.

My love for God is selfless. Your love for your (admittidly false) idol is selfish (to justify yourself and your disbelief in God to me). Thus they are both fundamentally different.

Religions which preech other than Gods own word are like the worship of the Spagetti Mosnter, selfish and artificial. They are temptations away from God.

Now this doesn't mean that from a scientific perspective one belief is any different from another. So I would expect from where you stand, they are both the same, as is every other religion.

Mankind cannot prove the existence of a God. The only thing that makes people follow His word is their faith. There isn't a scientific or mathematical justification for this faith. Science is the study of what is observable in nature, and as such there are limits to what it can explain.

BlackDragon

HSC
Well, you even admit to creating this idol, to please yourself. Even to justify yoursef, to justify your rejection of the one true God. Its all artifical. You don't actually worship the Spagetti Monster, however I do worship God.
We didn't create an idol, we were just discussing a point. That you are being equally blashpemous to other religions as you say we are being to yours. The concept of faith is not a reason to start believing in this religion specifically. Response?

Religions which preech other than Gods own word are like the worship of the Spagetti Mosnter, selfish and artificial. They are temptations away from God.
But why are Islam and Hinduism any less legitimate than christianity? Why are they "selfish"?

Name_Taken

HSC
Uh, you just admitted that the bible is made up of a number of different retrospective books written by bronze age peasent minds/ cult members. And you claim it is the word of a god?
The Bible was physically written down by many different contributers over a period of about 2000 years.

Many of these people lived in different areas of the world and often their lifetimes didn't coincide. Most of them would have never been able to contact each other at all, even if they wanted to, or knew each other existed.

Yet, despite all this, they all wrote about the same God and glorified Him and His laws in their work, which were then combined, giving us the collection of books knowns as the Bible.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
You lack faith in God. Without the faith in Him, your assertions of love are meaningless and as such your prayers are also.

Instead of praying for your own good, pray out of your love for God. Instead of asking "Lord please bless me and grant me the knowledge of this work so that I may ace the HSC etc." Say, "Dear Lord, please grant me the strength and perseverance so that I may bring myself to study and achieve in my exams so I" ...and then the reason.

If the reason is something as stupid as so you can get a great job and earn heaps of cash, then you havn't given God a really good reason for Him to answer your prayers.

Make the aims of everything you do in this life to glorify God. Your prayers should reflect this goal. He will not abandon you if you have faith in Him.

Sometimes God doesn't answer your prays immediately, and although bad things happen in your life, this doesn't mean God has ignored you. Read the Book of Job in the Bible and you will understand where I am comming from.
Lol thought so, the whole 'urdoinitrong' if you don't get a response.

Typical.

Name_Taken

HSC
Lol thought so, the whole 'urdoinitrong' if you don't get a response.

Typical.
Thats not what I said.

Even if God hears your prayer, it doesn't mean He will act on them immediately. In the meantime, all you can do is have faith.

Sorry, but He is not a genie in a bottle, for your own amusement and convenience.

As I said before, read the Book of Job, if you're curious.

Otherwise, you simply don't care (not saying that this is necessarily true), that is probably why your prayer was not answered. Sigh. It's not hard to understand people.

HalcyonSky

HSC
Thats not what I said.

Even if God hears your prayer, it doesn't mean He will act on them immediately. In the meantime, all you can do is have faith.

Sorry, but He is not a genie in a bottle, for your own amusement and convenience.

Otherwise, you simply don't care (not saying that this is necessarily true), that is probably why your prayer was not answered. Sigh. It's not hard to understand people.
Harvard prayer experiment - FreeThoughtPedia

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Thats not what I said.

And as such, I wait and wait for a 'reply'.

If it doesn't come? I didn't pray hard enough.

If it does come? Probably in some form of coincidence leading me to relay it to the works of God.

BlackDragon

HSC
I think the concept that many christian people have, that god actively participates in our lives, is wrong. (even in terms of christian doctrine). But can you respond to what I said earlier name_taken?

Last edited:

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
Thats not what I said.

then when?

i used to believe in god when i was younger. i prayed for a dad. never got one. god failed me.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
That shouldn't be surprising either way. In the case of the atheist one can simply posit that humans have a natural propensity to find certain things meaningful (love? sex? moral engagement? prosperity? community?). In the case of the theist this propensity is instead held to be of divine origin.
This is true, however I think it's a moot point. If atheists and theists both have the same meanings in their lives, whether it be from divine or natural origin - it shows that there is nothing extra about the 'meaning' people get from belief in jesus or what have you.

I do grant that there is a slight deviation, merely in that a higher power has a purpose for you its self is meaning... But I think this is little more than a bit of polish.

People who are motivated to do things, primarily because of fear of God or something along those lines are probably the only I would consider to have extra meanings. For instance if you're dolling out charity because you sinned in the past and don't want to go to hell (if that's your actual motivation... which I doubt it is for many), or if you're going to blow yourself up because you believe allah's sacred lands are being overrun or something (but in the case of suicide bombers, most of them seems to do it for far more earthly reasons of war etc.... if this is a factor, it is fairly small).

Last edited:

dannyiraqi

HSC
You know... we should just stop the fighting and try and understand eachothers beliefs... so what if someone believes in God or if someone doesnt... i am not going to treat an atheist or a theist any differently from eachother... we should listen to evidence from both side... the true scientific proccess ... and decide what we wanna accept... no attacking eachother!

And let me start off... What i believe in can be summed up in a quote:

“It is not a conclusive evidence that a man is a Christian because he manifests spiritual ecstasy under extraordinary circumstances. Holiness is not rapture: it is an entire sur- render of the will to God; it is living by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God; it is doing the will of our heavenly Father; it is trusting God in trial, in darkness as well as in the light; it is walking by faith and not by sight; it is relying on God with unquestioning confidence, and resting in His love” (The Acts of the Apostles, p. 51).

Peace...

HSC
You know... we should just stop the fighting and try and understand eachothers beliefs... so what if someone believes in God or if someone doesnt... i am not going to treat an atheist or a theist any differently from eachother... we should listen to evidence from both side... the true scientific proccess ... and decide what we wanna accept... no attacking eachother!

And let me start off... What i believe in can be summed up in a quote:

“It is not a conclusive evidence that a man is a Christian because he manifests spiritual ecstasy under extraordinary circumstances. Holiness is not rapture: it is an entire sur- render of the will to God; it is living by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God; it is doing the will of our heavenly Father; it is trusting God in trial, in darkness as well as in the light; it is walking by faith and not by sight; it is relying on God with unquestioning confidence, and resting in His love” (The Acts of the Apostles, p. 51).

Peace...
:spin:

dannyiraqi

HSC
Yeah man you have gotten me there... i dont believe that todays science will prove there is a God, i just believe by faith, but science does demand that you look at all theories and evidence, thats what i was meaning by that. But science cant fully prove that there is a God...

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
Yeah man you have gotten me there... i dont believe that todays science will prove there is a God, i just believe by faith, but science does demand that you look at all theories and evidence, thats what i was meaning by that. But science cant fully prove that there is a God...
Nor can anyone else. We know jesus brought back a bunch of dead people and rose from the dead and stuff.. blah blah blah..

but is there anything more recent?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)