Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

jdennis

HSC
But that is EXACTLY what the vast majority of christians do.
Which is why there are so many varieties and sub-varieties of christianity, and why christianity is seen as such a joke amongst atheists.
Any no-one is able to prove which fiction is the correct one - it is ONLY a belief based on the thoughts that happened to be going through your head when you contemplated what the truth might be.
I doubt that any 2 christians on this planet agree 100% on their version of christianity.
However, they all agree on one point - their version is the absolutely correct, divine and true interpretation of Christianity.

iBibah

HSC
But that is EXACTLY what the vast majority of christians do.
Which is why there are so many varieties and sub-varieties of christianity, and why christianity is seen as such a joke amongst atheists.
Any no-one is able to prove which fiction is the correct one - it is ONLY a belief based on the thoughts that happened to be going through your head when you contemplated what the truth might be.
I doubt that any 2 christians on this planet agree 100% on their version of christianity.
Unless they're Catholic. In that case the Church "infallibly" states certain things and you believe it or you don't. If you don't you're not really Catholic. So any two devout Catholics actually believe the same thing.

I guess your point is that Catholicism has "its own version" though.

Drsoccerball

HSC
Science and religion are fully compatible but they are based on different aspects of human experience, intellect and understanding.

Science tends to explain matters based on measurable evidence when examining different subjects. Religious faith, in contrast, does not depend on such empirical evidence because religion attempts to explain supernatural world which cannot be investigated by science. Hence science and religion can not be incompatible because science and religion are separate and address different questions of humans.

In fact many believe and science and religion are complementary as complete each other. Science is so much focused on explaining the “hows” or “whys” but religion is focused on the ultimate purpose and wisdom of creating, many believe that both could lead to perfection of humanity and human experience.

Btw I am agnostic and I just happened to find this thread like out of no where, so thought it would be nice if I gave a view on this whole issue which is dividing society as a whole.
really ?

Drsoccerball

HSC
To me science and religion go together... For example the golden ratio shows that all the proportions of everything created are exactly the same thus linking to one creator/designer in order to be so similar. I really don't see religion and science parting...

jdennis

HSC
Science and religion are fully compatible but they are based on different aspects of human experience, intellect and understanding.

Science tends to explain matters based on measurable evidence when examining different subjects. Religious faith, in contrast, does not depend on such empirical evidence because religion attempts to explain supernatural world which cannot be investigated by science. Hence science and religion can not be incompatible because science and religion are separate and address different questions of humans.

In fact many believe and science and religion are complementary as complete each other. Science is so much focused on explaining the “hows” or “whys” but religion is focused on the ultimate purpose and wisdom of creating, many believe that both could lead to perfection of humanity and human experience.

Btw I am agnostic and I just happened to find this thread like out of no where, so thought it would be nice if I gave a view on this whole issue which is dividing society as a whole.
Science is "the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment." In other words, science is not a "thing", it is a process by which we find out what is true and what is not.

What you are saying is that there are some things which "cannot be investigated by science". In other words, there are some things which we cannot find out using the process by which we find things out (i.e. science).

This makes absolutely no sense.

Drsoccerball

HSC
God exists because he answered my prayers
The same can be said : "God doesn't exist because he didnt answer my prayers"
You need solid evidence such as the probability of perfect creation the improbability of accidents the logic of god etc...

Drsoccerball

HSC
Science is "the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment." In other words, science is not a "thing", it is a process by which we find out what is true and what is not.

What you are saying is that there are some things which "cannot be investigated by science". In other words, there are some things which we cannot find out using the process by which we find things out ( i.e. science ).

This makes absolutely no sense.
Try explaining the soul through science...

gaste

HSC
N/A
The same can be said : "God doesn't exist because he didnt answer my prayers"
You need solid evidence such as the probability of perfect creation the improbability of accidents the logic of god etc...
I have first-hand experience and so do others.

gaste

HSC
N/A
I saw God in my dreams too, so he must exist.

lol, I think I won the debate

Drsoccerball

HSC
I have first-hand experience and so do others.
Im not saying that it didnt happen but what about those people that it didnt happen to... im with you on the argument but you need to provide more legit proof than that.. like cause and effect but if thats how you yourself proves god fair enough...

gaste

HSC
N/A
Im not saying that it didnt happen but what about those people that it didnt happen to... im with you on the argument but you need to provide more legit proof than that.. like cause and effect but if thats how you yourself proves god fair enough...
just playin'

jdennis

HSC
Try explaining the soul through science...
If it can't be explained through science, that doesn't make "faith" any more reasonable. Consciousness is a subject which baffles scientists, but that doesn't make the explanation of "God did it" correct. One of the best things about science is that you can say "I don't know, but let's try to find out".

Religion does not operate on the basis of evidence, science does. Therefore, I don't think claims of "knowledge" through religion have any weight.

Drsoccerball

HSC
If it can't be explained through science, that doesn't make "faith" any more reasonable. Consciousness is a subject which baffles scientists, but that doesn't make the explanation of "God did it" correct. One of the best things about science is that you can say "I don't know, but let's try to find out".

Religion does not operate on the basis of evidence, science does. Therefore, I don't think claims of "knowledge" through religion have any weight.
I dont know basing all creation on random forces of nature and coincidence doesn't sound like evidence to me...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)