Does God Exist? (1 Viewer)

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
and this is my lost post

every1 has thier own beliefs or none at all?

u cant convince me god doesnt exist
i cant convince u otherwise

r u happy with having to have proof?

im happy with faith that i have now... very simple and im sorry u cant understand faith because u see logic in things that above human beings

you are an individual- make of it what you will by exercising your mind the way you see fit

criticise and anaylse all you want...wont change a thing. hope this has been enlightening for you as it has been for me ocnsidering other ppl's views on the matter

stop taking things out of context and be happy, life isnt about debating it on an internet forum with smartarse replies

in this matter no one can be right for certain

lord chumpley

HSC
i don't know about everyone else but i have trouble believing that there's a god because of all the scientific evidence that points in the opposite direction...evolution (which has basically been proven), the big bang theory (which is possible) etc. i have pity on the christians that do biology.

but most of all i don't believe in god because i don't believe in something that i can't see, and i don't believe in an emotion that i don't feel. i think it's petty to claim that everything in the world happens for the greater good or some great force makes it that way. i'd rather blame my mistakes and credit my achievements to myself, who i know for sure exists.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Good work...
First you re-interate your point that faith is above logic, meaning that you don't need a logical reason to believe in something (i believe you're satan).

Then you try to make a statement that makes it appear you accept the beliefs of everyone (although your beliefs are contradictory meaning it is fundamentally impossible for you to accept their beliefs, without accepting that their beliefs are as fake as yours.).

Then you lecture us about debating life on an internet forum which you have been doing with us, thankyou wise one.

Leaving us with 'no one can be right for certain', to which I answer 'you can't know for certain that no one can be right for certain', it's an infinite loop.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
thejosiekiller said:
my beliefs dont require proof
This sentence, apart from severely damaging your credibility, shows that there is no point in your continued input in this argument.

Like we said, if beliefs do not require proof, then why can't we claim that the great goat-God Gorgamel is the ruler of the universe? You're probably going to ignore this fundamental point once again.

thejosiekiller said:
proof is not the essense of everything- if you need to prove that god exists, how would you do it?
That's what we've been trying to ask you for this entire discussion.

Last edited:

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
if God is beyond our logic, we can understand... like i've been saying, it's a matter of belief. Then you can undersatnd almost anything

lord chumpley

HSC
you can't prove it, either way. you can prove theories against it, or for it, but they're all human, and so they all have flaws and bias, there is no one objective person that can give us an answer (unless, of course, that objective person is god..then we're screwed)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
thejosiekiller said:
u cant convince me god doesnt exist
We don't have to. You have no reason yourself for believing that God exists. I mean I would have expected most religious people to have reasons for their beliefs, but you defy the human capability for rational thought by saying that you believe in God, but you have no reason for believing in God.

thejosiekiller said:
im happy with faith that i have now... very simple and im sorry u cant understand faith because u see logic in things that above human beings
I have faith that you're a 3-foot high, pink and purple lizard from Peru. But faith is above human logic I'm sorry, so I am perfectly justified.

thejosiekiller said:
in this matter no one can be right for certain
Well you least of all

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Okay, trying not to go off tangent.

I'm going to try and say why some people think that God exists. Besides the catholic/christian/etc education, there's also weird, weird feelings you get. Like say, if one of your parents was in a serious car crash, and was in hospital while you were in the waiting room. You're just hoping and wishing that they'd be okay. Sometimes during that hysteria, you want to just say to thin air "please don't let him die" and you have no idea why you said it. It still doesn't prove anything, I know.

And when you find out that everything is okay, in a some what miraculous way, you kinda feel, (and I can't explain how you do, its not just relief and happiness) you feel like something intervened, or someone listened, and regardless if you believe in God or not (During this time I was a strong atheist) you just felt it, and you don't want to question it, you're just thankful. And each day goes by and you just keep thinking "thank you". and "thank you" implies that something's listening. It's bizarre. It's an incredible weird WEIRD feeling.

Although it may not be proof to you why God exists, THAT'S the kind of proof most Christians use. Because they FEEL it. It may sound corny, but hey, you can't know unless you've experienced it. :)

I know that this post may not be good enough to prove to you why God exists, but I thought posting why God exists for others that require proof in another way was loosely relevant. Anyways... Good luck with the HSC.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
The problem with the whole idea that anything is possible, therefor it could be true... is that then it's possible that any statement you make could be wrong including the statement that anythings possible.... I think if you view life in this way you'll just end up in some sorta looney bin lol

There is Impossible.

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
what is impossible (look out, i'll get loony on you :) )

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
Okay, trying not to go off tangent.

I'm going to try and say why some people think that God exists. Besides the catholic/christian/etc education, there's also weird, weird feelings you get. Like say, if one of your parents was in a serious car crash, and was in hospital while you were in the waiting room. You're just hoping and wishing that they'd be okay. Sometimes during that hysteria, you want to just say to thin air "please don't let him die" and you have no idea why you said it. It still doesn't prove anything, I know.

And when you find out that everything is okay, in a some what miraculous way, you kinda feel, (and I can't explain how you do, its not just relief and happiness) you feel like something intervened, or someone listened, and regardless if you believe in God or not (During this time I was a strong atheist) you just felt it, and you don't want to question it, you're just thankful. And each day goes by and you just keep thinking "thank you". and "thank you" implies that something's listening. It's bizarre. It's an incredible weird WEIRD feeling.

Although it may not be proof to you why God exists, THAT'S the kind of proof most Christians use. Because they FEEL it. It may sound corny, but hey, you can't know unless you've experienced it. :)

I know that this post may not be good enough to prove to you why God exists, but I thought posting why God exists for others that require proof in another way was loosely relevant. Anyways... Good luck with the HSC.
I know perfectly well the feeling. It is one (though very minor) of the things that keeps me agnostic rather than athiest. However I tend to think it is human instinct to attribute labels, blame, praise and responsibility on things that we don't understand. It makes us feel safer, more comfortable and less afraid of the mysteries of the world.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I've experienced pleading to no where for someone to be ok...
I used to be a christian, untill i started reading.

All theists pray to their gods. They will probably say that their god (be it Ganesh, Jah, Yahweh, Allah, Zeuss or any of the thousands of others) hears their prayers, replies to them, and possibly even acts on them.

Which is more likely -

* there is one god who hears all prayers from all religions, and responds (even to conflicting prayers)?
* there are many gods who hear the prayers from only their own followers?
* only one true god hears prayers and the followers of other religions are deluding themselves? (even though they all claim similar results.)
* there are no gods to hear any prayers, and prayer is nothing more than religious meditation, self-delusion or public posturing?

sub

lord chumpley said:
i don't know about everyone else but i have trouble believing that there's a god because of all the scientific evidence that points in the opposite direction...evolution (which has basically been proven), the big bang theory (which is possible) etc. i have pity on the christians that do biology.
like u sed evolution is NOT proven, and until it is proven, u should not use it to discredit a religion...the big band theory does NOT go against religion, i cant vouch for christianity as im not a christian, but it shouldnt...big bang theory suggests that everything started with a cataclysmic bang...all u have to consider is who or what created it...now i know this isn't a "proof" or not one your looking for, but chumpley's post could not go unanswered.

lord chumpley said:
but most of all i don't believe in god because i don't believe in something that i can't see
hahahaha, that was a stupid reason to not believe in god. mate, i cant see ur brain, does that mean u dont have one. god is intangible. u cannot see or touch god. i cannot see or touch ur brain, and to test for it, i would not be able to see if it'd work, cos u'd be dead. now before u say something like doing ultrasounds, or sumsuch, that only indicates that something is there...it DOESN'T prove that it IS there. it could be a mouse in a wheel. just as with god, u can see if He is there, u cant see him, u cannot feel him. u can only determine whether he exists or not.

to josiekiller (i think u sed this, if not, then to whoever sed it): god MAY be above logic to an extent, but u should be able to test to see if he is there. u cannot see what he can do, u cannot see his power per se, because we have nothing to compare it to. its like someone knocking on the door...u kno someone is there, but u cant tell anything about who it is. (do NOT say "look through the peep hole" cos in this example there isn't one, otherwise we would not be discussing this issue). the only way to know things for sure is by what this "person/being" tells u about himself. it seems as though u've got the wrong idea...u should be able to prove god, just not his powers or abilities, as we have nothing to compare them to...

*back to eco*

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Dougie said:
what is impossible (look out, i'll get loony on you :) )
It is impossible to make a 4 sided triangle.

It is also impossible for both your statement that nothing is impossible, and my statement that somethings are impossible to BOTH be right.

lord chumpley

HSC
thanks, sub, for taking that line totally out of context. i also said, and i also meant, that if i cannot feel something (yes, feel, emotionally, which is what christians claim to do, which i have nothing against), then how can i believe in it? i know my brain is there because i'm alive, and if you really wanted to see my brain you could. bad example.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
The thought that people can believe in a religion or god is extremely disturbing to me, however, people do have a right, under the constitution to freely practice any religion they like, so go for it. I just find atheism is a more believable, justifiable alternative.

I love this quote:
If money is the root of all evil, why do churches beg for it?

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
It is impossible to make a 4 sided triangle.

It is also impossible for both your statement that nothing is impossible, and my statement that somethings are impossible to BOTH be right.
although it'd taken for granted, it's definition dependant. What if is other intelligent life out there that calls a triangle something else?

They could both be right, just from a different point of view. You may believs that somethings are impossible, so you therefore believe that "nothing is impossible" is actually impossible (as i'm sure you do!). It's perspective driven.

Nothing is impossible (looney is warming up :) )

lord chumpley

HSC
far out, talk about optimism
it is impossible for my dog to get off the couch when it's cold
it is impossible, right now, for me to do the splits
it is impossible for a cow to run over a truck and a buffalo to wear rollerblades
shall i keep going?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)