Does Rank Matter ? (1 Viewer)

Monsterman

HSC
rank matters.. get the highest rank possible.. kill the people in front of you.. take them down. i rose my rank by 4 in the 4unit mathematics by scabbing marks and without it then i wouldnt have gotten a band 6 for it

K

Kozak92

Hypothetically, what would happen if you were last in your cohort, but came first in externals?
You'd get shit.

omgmynameislong said:
School rank doesnt directly apply but kinda indirectly applies. The ranking of the school does tell you how strong your cohort is.
Yup. Thats the only thing school ranking does, gives you an indication of how strong your cohort is.

James Ruse don't get band 6's because of their school mark, they get band 6's cause their cohort is strong.

HSC
Currently it seems i know more than you when it comes to this matter, if you have done the HSC it does not necessarily mean you know more than me int his regard.
According to whom? You? And you didn't even prove any of the points I made were false, and agreed ranks correlated with exam marks...

Ruse gets more band 6's because they have a higher caliber of students, compared to any another school in the state (you need like 247/300 or something in the selective school test, which very hard to get, considering people getting 170 can get into selective system )
It's called 'transfer'? So much for knowing more about this than I do.

So according to your logic if i go ruse, i m more likely to get a band6 then if i go to a comprehensive high school, when putting in the exact same effort?
How can you even make that comparison? Ruse pushes people to work harder (also, read below). And besides, there's more chance, the people there will 'carry' you through with their high marks.

Ranks are important, but its your fault that you did not put the effort in during the year so you were ranked 1st internal so you could get the highest external mark. Its the best way BoS can moderate the internal marks so they are all in align with every school in the state.
Are you stupid? Yes, it's MY fault I came 4th in a selective school... Jesus Christ you've got some nerve talking crap to people like that. And did I bitch about getting 94 instead of 96? No. So stfu. I'd like to see you try to come 1st in a selective school ranked in the Top 10 for histories. You realise, that at these level, 1 or 2 marks will differentiate coming 1st or 7th + right? In Mathematics at my School, losing 1 single mark in an exam meant you were ranked 23rd, and at Sydney Girls High, a girl who lost 2 - 3 marks in Chem fell from 8th to the bottom 20% of her class.

So don't make stupid comments about people not "putting in the effort," when you don't know anything about it.

The kid at bauklo was most likely of higher caliber then the girl at a comprehensive high school, remember their selective schools for a reason, and they usually take the cream of the milk.
Hence you're admitting that those schools generally pump out better marks, and thus get better results in the H.S.C overall. Thus, you concede schools do affect H.S.C.

Considering I actually work for the Department of Education and Training, and I have a certificate from them, unless you can tell me you've done both of these things, then I suggest you stop making it seem as though you know so much more than people who are actually familiar with the process.

Pride goeth before a fall.

They're related only in the sense that a strong cohort will improve your schools ranking. Your schools ranking has no affect on your HSC however.
100% true.

rank matters.. get the highest rank possible.. kill the people in front of you.. take them down. i rose my rank by 4 in the 4unit mathematics by scabbing marks and without it then i wouldnt have gotten a band 6 for it
Yep, and they won't even let you have tied ranks.

Last edited:

mckensara

HSC
yes your rank is important, but it isnt the be all and end all

i didnt get the top ranks, but in many of my subjects i got the top HSC mark
so its a balance of the two that really matters.

twistedrebel

HSC
According to whom? You? And you didn't even prove any of the points I made were false, and agreed ranks correlated with exam marks...

It's called 'transfer'? So much for knowing more about this than I do.

How can you even make that comparison? Ruse pushes people to work harder (also, read below). And besides, there's more chance, the people there will 'carry' you through with their high marks.

Are you stupid? Yes, it's MY fault I came 4th in a selective school... Jesus Christ you've got some nerve talking crap to people like that. And did I bitch about getting 94 instead of 96? No. So stfu. I'd like to see you try to come 1st in a selective school ranked in the Top 10 for histories. You realise, that at these level, 1 or 2 marks will differentiate coming 1st or 7th + right? In Mathematics at my School, losing 1 single mark in an exam meant you were ranked 23rd, and at Sydney Girls High, a girl who lost 2 - 3 marks in Chem fell from 8th to the bottom 20% of her class.

So don't make stupid comments about people not "putting in the effort," when you don't know anything about it.

Hence you're admitting that those schools generally pump out better marks, and thus get better results in the H.S.C overall. Thus, you concede schools do affect H.S.C.

Considering I actually work for the Department of Education and Training, and I have a certificate from them, unless you can tell me you've done both of these things, then I suggest you stop making it seem as though you know so much more than people who are actually familiar with the process.

Pride goeth before a fall.

100% true.

Yep, and they won't even let you have tied ranks.
I know competition in selective schools is fierce, even on-selective schools 3 marks can mean difference between 8th or 1st.
Also the education department dont have a part in the, its the Board of Studies and UAC. Certificate in? (if you dont mind me asking)
I agree with you, but i m saying School rank does not matter, you are trying to say that if i go ruse, and but the same effort in, my ATAR will rise by a certain point, which is untrue.

Makdadddy

makdaddy.net
HSC
I think you all are just misinterpreting each other. I think what everyone is trying to say that school rank does NOT affect your ATAR directly, altough it can affect it indirectly. End of story.

And to the OP, of course your rank does matter, but don't worry about that one test too much. Just do your best and learn from your mistakes, and you have a good chance of getting an E4, you just need to put the effort in.

Kanane

HSC
N/A
If someone receives a ranking of 1st in every subject, yet the whole cohort performs in a mediocre manner, would that affect the person who is 1st..?

K

Kozak92

If someone receives a ranking of 1st in every subject, yet the whole cohort performs in a mediocre manner, would that affect the person who is 1st..?
Nope. Unless they decide to be complacent in the HSC exams in which they'll get a lower average then if they came 1st in it too.

xNinjax

HSC
Nice, this surely boosted my esteem : )

I'm pretty sure in my trials i can get 80%+ (raw mark) but my rank still will be only 15/60 ishh when i'm aiming top 10. Do you think its still possible to get E4?

Hmm well since i'm coming first in 2unit maths i'm pretty sure i can get high for 3unit. But i really really REALLY want that E4 !!

HSC
I know competition in selective schools is fierce, even on-selective schools 3 marks can mean difference between 8th or 1st.
If you did, then why are you making rude comments, like you "didn't put effort in?" Yes, I didn't come 1st, but getting a 4th Rank, and a 94/100 overall just doesn't happen by itself.

Also the education department dont have a part in the, its the Board of Studies and UAC. Certificate in? (if you dont mind me asking)
'The Board of Studies' is just an extension of the NSW Department of Education and Training, again, please don't post misleading details before validating them.

This is taken straight from Board of Studies:

"The membership of the Board includes a full-time President and three ex-officio members, with the remaining 19 members being appointed by the Minister for Education and Training as nominees of particular organisations or persons with identified knowledge or expertise."

The Department cannot handle all these affairs, and hence, the Board of Studies became a relegation to deal with this manner. That doesn't mean the Department doesn't still screens the Board quite often.

And my certificate is from The Arts (Humanities) Unit. I also worked at the DET for a while, and met a few markers of the Board of Studies.

I agree with you, but i m saying School rank does not matter, you are trying to say that if i go ruse, and but the same effort in, my ATAR will rise by a certain point, which is untrue.
Why would that be untrue? James Ruse pressures their students to a phenomenal level, and thus, in turn, would also affect you and your marks by making you work harder. Not only would this probably boost your marks, but the students there would also probably receive higher marks than an average student.

Thus, if you didn't come 1st in everything, and came 2nd, 15th, 50th or an x number of place, it's more likely your assessment mark in the H.S.C will be higher at Ruse than at say, Granville. You can come 15th in Ruse and still get 95+
whilst you can come 15th in Granville and get 75.

Good luck with your H.S.C :), but please, like I said, don't assume you know 100% of what there is to know about this process (and also please stop posting false details), when there are certainly other people out there who well know these details far more so, and have been told by a higher authority. What other reason would I have other than to inform you guys about the right details and what to expect?

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
School rank does not directly influence your UAI/ATAR at all. The only thing that a school rank is used for is for estimates on your UAI, nothing more.

ar7

HSC
school ranks r reset every year and are not used in ur atar calculation. r the ranks not based on how well the cohort went? not other way round...:uhoh:

TheYear2011

HSC
yes it does matter. i got a fucking shit rank in pphysics and it fucked my atar up. FUCKing get the best rank possible

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
^ Are you guys joking? Of course it matters!
YOUR rank will determine 50% of your H.S.C Mark, and this rank is derived from how well YOUR school performs. For instance, say you're coming 3rd in Advanced English. Sure it might look good on paper, but if your school does bad in the exam, and the 3rd best mark of the bunch ends up being 59/100, then you get the 59........

Don't underestimate the H.S.C and think school doesn't matter. It's a load of crap to those who say it doesn't. If you know you are competing with such high standards, it will encourage you to push harder, and aim for that 1st rank across the board (as they ensures you get the highest mark as your school rank).
That is incorrect in so many ways it isn't funny.

Your rank does not determine 50% of your HSC mark. It's actually how you perform in the school and how your school performs in the HSC. How you perform in the school is easily estimated by ranks, but mark gaps are actually more important. Hence your school rank/strength of your cohort not playing a direct role in your ATAR mark.

If you're a good student you'll excel no matter what school you go to. Hence kids getting 99+ in schools where the school rank has never been higher than 400 etc etc. You are competing with the state in the first place and the brighter kids should know this and they will work hard to get the higher ranks.

Of course the higher the rank of the school the better as you have the advantage with competing with a strong cohort. But coming last in James Ruse doesn't mean you're better off than someone coming 1st in a usually school ranked 500th. This is as school ranks change and if you're good enough you will get the ATAR you deserve (coming 1st means you aren't affected by your cohort).

Those who are bitching and are saying subject ranks matter were most likely slackers thoughout the year and got what they deserved in the end. Work smart and you'll be fine :)

Last edited:
HSC
Your rank does not determine 50% of your HSC mark. It's actually how you perform in the school and how your school performs in the HSC. How you perform in the school is easily estimated by ranks, but mark gaps are actually more important. Hence your school rank/strength of your cohort not playing a direct role in your ATAR mark.
What? This doesn't even make sense, and obviously you're mistaken if you don't think your cohort has any input.

If you're a good student you'll excel no matter what school you go to. Hence kids getting 99+ in schools where the school rank has never been higher than 400 etc etc. You are competing with the state in the first place and the brighter kids should know this and they will work hard to get the higher ranks.
Selective schools give a good boost of pressure, so I think it does matter. And kids getting higher than 99 at a normal school? It's because they get ranked 1st across the board, or close to it. If you got to selective school like Ruse, You can rank in the Top 10 across the board and still get 99+

Of course the higher the rank of the school the better as you have the advantage with competing with a strong cohort. But coming last in James Ruse doesn't mean you're better off than someone coming 1st in a usually school ranked 500th. This is as school ranks change and if you're good enough you will get the ATAR you deserve (coming 1st means you aren't affected by your cohort).
I know a girl from Hornsby Girl who came close to dead last in everything save 1 subject, and still ended up getting 95+ ATAR. So don't make random assumptions about cohort effect being nonexistent. And crap about schools - have you actually even talked to people from Ruse? Or other selective schools? Do you even know what the ATAR average is there?

Those who are bitching and are saying subject ranks matter were most likely slackers thoughout the year
Are you confusing this with scaling? Subject ranks do matter. Obviously... then why the hell don't people just fail all their subjects if their rank don't mean shit?

That is incorrect in so many ways it isn't funny.
Get off your high horse and go do research.

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
lol @ this guy

-

Rank within school matters for each subject, the rank OF the school in the state doesn't matter.

HSC
lol @ this guy

-

Rank within school matters for each subject, the rank OF the school in the state doesn't matter.
Tell that to annabackwards

Those who are bitching and are saying subject ranks matter were most likely slackers thoughout the year

K

Kozak92

*wall of text*
Are you sure you understand what the thread is about?

School ranking..you know the ranking thats calculated AFTER all the HSC results have been calculated? School ranking can't affect shit becauses its not even calculated until results have been calculated.

I know you mean well, but you're clearly confused.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)