Does ranking affect your hsc/uai marks (1 Viewer)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by = Jennifer =
there is no such thing as fair, fair is an emotive word you could say it is not equitable :D

why cant everyone just get the mark you get in the hsc not changed and swapped thats what i think would be equitable
That would make it -unfair-

The purpose of the aligning process done by the Board of Studies is to ensure that the aligned marks every year are able to be compared to the aligned marks of previous years. That way it will be a better indicator of your performance as every year the exam paper varies in difficulty, so compensation needs to be made.

Originally posted by cute_angel
I'm still confused
Anything specific you are confused with?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
i knew someone in the 2001 HSC who was ranked first in the class for Modern History.

In the exam, he came last, was beaten even by the student who was not the brightest tool in the shed, and his overal assessment mark was still the second highest in the cohort.

go figure....

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Well obviously he took out the highest exam mark and that saved his arse :p

kpq_sniper017

Originally posted by ujuphleg
i knew someone in the 2001 HSC who was ranked first in the class for Modern History.

In the exam, he came last, was beaten even by the student who was not the brightest tool in the shed, and his overal assessment mark was still the second highest in the cohort.

go figure....
how would he have known what exam mark he got? bos doesn't release that info.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Im assuming his aligned mark was lowest which would indicate he performed the worst.

gadbil

DALAL*****DALAL
HSC
IPT

I heard that doing ipt scales very low in the HSC is this true?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You've posted that message five times now, gadbil, and received at least one reply.

Start your own thread if you'd like a nice big discussion on the topic.

kpq_sniper017

Re: IPT

Originally posted by gadbil
I heard that doing ipt scales very low in the HSC is this true?
i guess posting it 5 times means that it really is concerning u...
but as laz has told me and will tell u (if u happen to ask a 6th time) that scaling is simply a means of making the hsc fair for everyone. and as long as u enjoy the subject and perform at a fair level above average, then scaling won't affect u a great deal.

and the scaling for ipt isn't "very low" by standards. it's below 25, but not far below. so:
study hard = do well = scaling won't affect u a lot.

kpq_sniper017

Originally posted by Persephone87
Does the ranking of your school get calculated in this?
no.
they use the rankings in the subject within the grade + the relative differences between each student.

notnownotever

PRINCE
HSC
Ragerunner said:
That is correct. Which is why the board of studies expects students to perform well "throughout the course of the year".

Rather than performing some miracle at the end.

to question that i'm in yr 12...
i'm doing S**t in english but killing it in maths general, eco (ranked in top 10), mod his (same|) bio (top 20th) and bus {29/62}

please tell how it will affect my marks.. and wat to strive at. i tried the sam and other approximation and it gave out my uai as 73.25... i fear that is not a good mark to make into uni...

but only god knows....help[[plz]]

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Well the thing is, you simply do you input the marks you get at school into the SAM calculator. It would make no sense to do so.

Your marks go through a process of mdoeration in which some cases can greatly change your mark, up or down. Typically up.

In your situation, your English will count no matter what. I would suggest you try to improve your English more, and try to maintain or do better in your other subjects. English would be most crucial for you right now if you really think you are doing that bad.

With your UAI estimation using SAM. Don't rely on it right now, because there is no way of knowing what type of aligned HSC marks you'd achieve until at least after you got your trial marks.

notnownotever

PRINCE
HSC
Ragerunner said:
Well the thing is, you simply do you input the marks you get at school into the SAM calculator. It would make no sense to do so.

Your marks go through a process of mdoeration in which some cases can greatly change your mark, up or down. Typically up.

In your situation, your English will count no matter what. I would suggest you try to improve your English more, and try to maintain or do better in your other subjects. English would be most crucial for you right now if you really think you are doing that bad.

With your UAI estimation using SAM. Don't rely on it right now, because there is no way of knowing what type of aligned HSC marks you'd achieve until at least after you got your trial marks.
yeah wat if i do shit in english but kill my other subjects

ashjw84

ranking

hi,

is it better to get a high rank at a school that doesn't perform very well academically, or get a lower rank at a school that does pretty well ?

thanks.

kpq_sniper017

ashjw84 said:
hi,

is it better to get a high rank at a school that doesn't perform very well academically, or get a lower rank at a school that does pretty well ?

thanks.
provided u actually do well in the hsc exam, then u might be better off getting a high rank at a school that doesn't perform very well. however, there's usually less competition and that tends to work against u. so in the end it might not work out so well.
if u went to a school such as james ruse and u were ranked around the middle, u might still do well because the competition is so close - u might get 90% and still only rank 50/100. however, u'll still do well.

it's hard to say, but often it's the pure competition that comes with going to a better school that forces u to do better.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
ashjw84 said:
hi,

thanks.
the idea is that you do as well as you can no matter what school you go to! :)

thats the whole point of the system. it ranks you. so, theoretcally speaking, if you got a uai of 95.50 and went to suburbia high school, you would have gotten the same rank had you gone to james ruse. remembering thats in the "perfect" situation. i am sure there are some divergences to these.

notnownotever

PRINCE
HSC
ashjw84 said:
hi,

thanks.
can you explain further..... i'm looking to get 80....
i'll get a band 6 for maths, and a couple of low band 5's high band 4's but english......ios weak point.
i go to saintmarys cathedral college.. don't know if the competion for standard english is any good....

so fate is in my hands

Beatboi

hi

ive read this thread but im still a lil confused;

if someone performs badly in a subject and achives a low assessment mark (hypothetical last in class), what would then happen if they put the effort in (short of performing a miracle) and get a much better hsc mark? (example: 28 assessment | 75 hsc mark)

how would that effect there final score for that subject?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)