Does ranking affect your hsc/uai marks (1 Viewer)

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
Hey,

Say you are ranked second in your grade for a particular subject. But in the HSC, you receive the highest mark in your grade for that subject, do you recieve the second-highest mark obtained in your grade for that subject because you were ranked second?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Yes you will, or at least will be very close to the second highest mark in the grade.

luckyduck

that's bad though coz what if someone was ranked last in school! and got the highest HSC mark.
would they get the last HSC mark?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by luckyduck
that's bad though coz what if someone was ranked last in school! and got the highest HSC mark.
That is correct. Which is why the board of studies expects students to perform well "throughout the course of the year".

Rather than performing some miracle at the end.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by luckyduck
Remember that students always receive their own exam mark as their exam mark.

It is only the assessment mark which is moderated.

= Jennifer =

HSC
so if ur rank one and you get 45 in hsc exam(lowest mark in school) and another person who was ranked last and got 100 in hsc exam the person who was rank one would get 100 and the person who was last will get the 45

correct?????

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by = Jennifer =
so if ur rank one and you get 45 in hsc exam(lowest mark in school) and another person who was ranked last and got 100 in hsc exam the person who was rank one would get 100 and the person who was last will get the 45

correct?????
The student who was ranked first would receive 100 as their moderated assessment mark, yes. But each student will always receive their own examination mark as their exam mark - which would have been 45, in this case.

The two marks are averaged to give the HSC mark.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
If there are massive discrepancies in a school group - say the person with the lowest ranking gets the best mark in the exam or a person with low ranking gains a high exam mark but the rest of the school group performs very badly etc, does the Board investigate?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Anomalous students are generally extracted before the moderating process begins and are re-inserted later after the necessary calculations have been made.

The Board won't investigate in the sense of an inquiry, but measures are taken to avoid negatively impacting the rest of the group.

kpq_sniper017

Originally posted by Lazarus
Anomalous students are generally extracted before the moderating process begins and are re-inserted later after the necessary calculations have been made.

The Board won't investigate in the sense of an inquiry, but measures are taken to avoid negatively impacting the rest of the group.
in the old HSC, good students would be "pulled down" by lesser able students wouldn't they?
does this happen in the new HSC.
u said that "measures are taken to avoid negatively impacting the rest of the group"......i do business studies, and the candidature pretty much ranges from the most able to the least able students in our grade. is the net effect on the top students generally fairly minimal?

KarmaKitten

HSC
That is stupid.

Some one who got 45 but was ranked 1st gets 100 as their moderated assessment mark?
that is stupid. beyond stupid.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by KarmaKitten
That is stupid.

Some one who got 45 but was ranked 1st gets 100 as their moderated assessment mark?
that is stupid. beyond stupid.
I think you are mis-interpreting the situation. The person only gets 100 as their moderated assessment mark IF and only if he/she is ranked first AND someone within their year attained a mark of 100/100.

You do not simply get a 100 moderated assessment mark just for being ranked first.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
At the moment I can't really see any other 'fair' way of doing it that ensure's fairness throughout the entire state.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by pcx_demolition017
in the old HSC, good students would be "pulled down" by lesser able students wouldn't they?
does this happen in the new HSC.
No, it doesn't (and it didn't happen under the old HSC, despite the rumours).

Originally posted by pcx_demolition017
u said that "measures are taken to avoid negatively impacting the rest of the group"......i do business studies, and the candidature pretty much ranges from the most able to the least able students in our grade. is the net effect on the top students generally fairly minimal?
If the performances of those students on the actual HSC exam paper - in terms of ranking - does not differ markedly from their assessment performances, there would be little or no effect. The students around the mean are always affected the most.

You can simulate the moderating process using a prototype we've developed:
www.boredofstudies.org/moderate.php

Nara

HSC
hey. well i totally dont get how they do it. like if someone in my class got way below average and i got good marks...would i be scaled down to suit them? its totally weird over here.

= Jennifer =

HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
At the moment I can't really see any other 'fair' way of doing it that ensure's fairness throughout the entire state.
there is no such thing as fair, fair is an emotive word you could say it is not equitable :D

why cant everyone just get the mark you get in the hsc not changed and swapped thats what i think would be equitable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)