does scaling REALLY matter? (1 Viewer)

Schoey93

HSC
yes by double extension english i mean 2U extension english next year. i want to write a story strongly influenced by the drama movement known as the theatre of the absurd, and that is influenced in turn by the theatre of cruelty (so fun to perform) and existentialist philosphy.

er, whoops, i'll only have 13 units next year. just checking if everyone's paying attention....i must have counted religion as two so it looks like i'll need half of chem. i got the test back first period today and i got 44%. eep! looks like i should lower my expectations of what uni course i want.

update at 5:30pm: got my maths scores back. my scores were (out of 10 each): 3,2,4,0,4,0,3 and 3, adding to 19/80 (24%), so any choice about staying in advanced has been taken away from me. i was on the list to be asked to move down and the coordinator looked shocked when i said she'd already moved me from extension. she asked what school i was from so i said a few slack things about the feeder i'm from, and then my teacher and the coordinator tried to reassure me it's possible to get a good (they didn't want to say brilliant) ATAR doing general, getting me over the line for medicine much easier than continuing to fail advanced. at least with the less stress i can concentrate more on chemistry and improve all around
Sorry. I'm just going to keep asking you (in written word only): are you Riley F from MCK school???

MissGiggles

HSC
no, i'm from SFX College, a Marist school if that means anything to anyone out there. i'm considering dropping drama because i really don't want to do the group work and chances are i'll get scaled down anyway. the frees can help me catch up on sleep from ext. 2 english lol...that's what the rest of the class does!

and i am finding it a complete bludge so far sorry guys. yeah it's time consuming and i'm juggling 13 units on a 12 unit timetable but i can do it half asleep because i just need my imagination and write everything down as i think it.

my HSC is going to be fail with general maths and drama :(

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, if you do well in it - it won't affect you.

Still, I advise anyone against doing any General/Standard subject.

MissGiggles

HSC
it is a bludge, if you don't care too massively about your marks, or you're naturally talented at writing (although research can get annoying)
what do you mean, "if i don't care massively about my marks"? it scales great, i don't have a job or *sigh* a social life so i have plenty of time to fake research about my idea (i mean, my idea is based on a dream i had, not any "stimuli" i found), and my library technician mother made me read "Emma" by Jane Austen at 8 as well as paying for me to go to drama lessons the last two years, so this is perfect for my ATAR. my stepmother has been bugging me to write since she found a story i started and forgot about.

I know 3 people that have achieved 98+ with general maths and drama counting towards their 10 units. One of the girls was from SFX about 2 years ago
was she the girl short listed for onstage this year? she was bloody amazing according to our teacher. i'm definately nothing more than average :( since my group work and Boal essay were lower.

shuttle_bus5

HSC
was she the girl short listed for onstage this year? she was bloody amazing according to our teacher. i'm definately nothing more than average :( since my group work and Boal essay were lower.
nahh not this year. I think she did her HSC in 2006. Maybe 2007, not 100% sure. But yes it is still possible to get a high UAI with general maths and drama. Scaling has little effect once you start getting marks in the 90's / high 80's anyway, so i wouldnt worry to much about it.

imoO

HSC
it matters only if you let it get to your head.

Tofuu

HSC
i think scaling does matter in a way
Its because some subjects you can get better marks since you won't get scaled down as much
But then if you do crap in that subject scaling wont matter
In my opinion only go for scaling if you are stuck on a choice eg you like subject A and B, but you only can pick one(because there will be too much load if you do both or something), and lets say subject A scales better, so you would pick that one

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
i've been reading some of these posts about people rethinking their subjects for next year. i picked the subjects i want to do in year 12 last year because that seems logical to me. however, what people have been saying about scaling is starting to worry me.
Scaling does matter, BUT, if you don't enjoy the subject then it won't work in your favour.

I was very determined to get into medicine as well and luckily the subjects I enjoyed and was good in filled the prerequisites for medicine.

Did accelerated chemistry (absolutely loved it! - especially the mix of theory and then putting it into practice in the practicals)

Physics - For prelim didn't do top-notch and was having doubts. However, the HSC was way more interesting and what drew me to physics was that we did 'Medical Physics' as our option and also I wanted to keep my options open. Physics isn't the raw mathematical stuff, its more history and understanding concepts (which aren't extremely hard..)

Essentially, pick subjects you are good at (in most cases the ones you like and are passionate about).

i want to study medicine once i graduate. i chose english ext. because it was a requirement and i'm fairly good, and chem and bio because they're supposed to help, and to keep my science options open, along with advanced maths.
=
+1

This is nearly exactly like me. Btw extension english isn't a prerequisite for medicine.
Your options are good in terms of thinking for a future career in medicine. Remember, if you goal is medicine though, the UMAT is extremely important.

Consider it as another 2 units or MORE. I'd reccomend you do preparation for it as you would do any other subject. This does NOT neccessarily mean forking out hundreds of dollars on preparation courses.

Section 1 UMAT
Learn speed reading

Meditate 5 minutes (close your eyes and just focus on your breathing) every night before you sleep. This will improve your concentration, which is very important for Section 1 of the UMAT as you have to speed read, problem solve and concentrate and then forget everything about that question and move on to the next.

Medicine Entry
Also the predicted uai required for an interview at UNSW has also increased. I've made a calculator "Chezza's UNSW Medicine Calculator" for it and will be updating it soon for the new table, which you can have a look at to see what kind of UMAT/ATAR balance you will need/aiming for. So your studies will also be very important if you are determined on UNSW. Once you are past the ATAR and UMAT hurdle you must also keep in mind that you have to have extra curriculum activities and further intiatives taken which show your interest. This will be further your chance of a good interview.

Also, be open to other medical schools like UWS and interstate. UNSW medicine is a good goal as you have to work really hard for your ATAR and UMAT. If you are a greater western applicant then you will have an advantage for UWS medicine with a ATAR requirement of 93. They have brand new $50 million facilities and have a more practical focus. An example is through their PBL - Problem Based Learning style (group learning) and early-and-regular clinical approach (more hospital visits from early on)

If you have any questions regarding the medicine proccess, applications, advice etc or you need help in Chemistry or Phys feel free to ask

Cheers
Chiranjeev

Last edited:

MissGiggles

HSC
thanks for the info iMAN2. i'd have to pull off a miracle but i'm still hoping. it looks like i'd qualify for bonus ATAR points at Newcastle Uni which might help.

today after getting up early for bio study, skipping recess for an ext. 2 talk with my mentor, and missing english for the bio prac when i really wanted to be in english to have help writing my speech for tomorrow i havn't finished, i have finally decided i am dropping drama!!!! i need more time and i have bad enough nutrition problems without skipping more breaks. ext. 2 needs time with my mentor too. as soon as this assessment next week is done (my group would be disadvantaged without me) i am going to get the forms.

of course i'm doing ext. 2 for fun. i have tried to write stories for a few years now but i always wanted that extra polishing that this is perfect for. and to hopefully get a good mark on the side would be extra fun. i like both those aspects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)