• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does the devil exist? (1 Viewer)

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
alien said:
lol haha nah you can post questions. i'm still trying to figure out if you were sarcastic or serious...hmm....
ANYWAY, LDS isn't a shoot off the anglican church or catholic church. it's like a restored church, which means it didn't shoot off any.

hey alien, take this from me, i dont ask sarcastic questions or make such remarks about anybody or wat they believe in because i definitely dont want people doing that to me. :D . i love being such a good boy :)

ok LDS, not an off shoot! just like jehova, not an offshoot!

both have (if i remember properly) gone back to the original mauscripts and translated the texts in order to achieve "Something " the others dont, is that correct.

like i dont know how to puyt it. if ur not an offshoot, then u must have gone back to the original then. yeah.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mind u not all the original christian faiths were offshoots of catholocism (?)

a germanic tribe of 'christians' didnt see jesus (god bless him) as a god, they saw him as somewhere between god and man.

the chrisitianity we have today is called pauline christianity though, the original one - the christianity of the apostles (exception: paul) - is called judeo christianity this is still being practiced in Eithiopia and a few other places :)
-----------------------------------------------------

so u can understand why im confused :confused: about this mormon/ jehova witness groups being restored. there's probably a simple explanation to all of this, which my mind hasnt grapsed yet :)

in time, hopefully ill understand :)

----------------------
edit: btw that germanic tribe according to historians, mysteriously dissapeared off the face of the Earth around 300 ad.
oh man! what a mystery! :)

Last edited:

alien

HSC
oh you are such a good boy mr. eazy :)
anyway... we say that the LDS church is restored because Joseph Smith, which was this guy who didn't know what church was right, he prayed and had a vision and he saw God the Father and the Son Jesus Christ and basically he was told that none of the churches were right but that the true church would be restored to the earth. I could post Joseph Smith's full account of the even if you want, it's pretty big but it explains it pretty well. Basically through restored church, we mean that the Gospel of Jesus Christ as it was in Christ's time, has been restored to the Earth in these latter days. so yeah we did go back to the original! i hope that all makes sense

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
There's no proof to whether the devil (or anything spiritual) exists, but i'll try to explain a little bit about Satan if you can believe that there is a spiritual world.

First off, you have God. God can quite happily live on his own because he is perfect, and perfect love abides in him. But, instead of living by himself he makes a hierachy of angels, his messengers. Angels were made to give God glory and interact with humans so that the humans would glorify God as well.

One of these angels was called Satan. In hebrew, the word Satan means Accuser. That's what Satan's job was. He would go out into the world and put trials in the path of God's righteous people. If they failed these trials, Satan would go an accuse them to God.

So as people have said it is not Satan that causes the problems of this world, but it is our desires which give birth to sin, and sin gives birth to death.

BUT heres where Jesus comes in: God became a man. Jesus Christ was fully God and fully man. He had the full nature of a man, and faced all the temptations and desires that humans face. But he also had the full nature of God, so he was perfect. If he gave into his desire, then it would mean God's nature was imperfect and God would cease to be God.

The devil tempted Jesus in the desert, yet Jesus did not give into his desires and remained perfect.

A little while later, Jesus was hung on a cross. On that cross, all God's wrath was poured out on him. Jesus became the substitute for christians, and all the punishment that we deserve is taken out on him. On the third day Christ rose again, defeating death, which is the result of sin.

The sin of God's people had now been paid in full. So this made the devil's job redundant. The devil would tempt Christians, and if they fell he would go accuse them to God. But God had already dealt with that sin on the cross, so it's pointless for Satan to continue his job.

But that doesn't mean Satan isn't active today. His job's redundant, but he still keeps it up. But he's not doing it to bring glory to God anymore, because accusing people of sins that have already been dealt with brings glory to noone. Angels were created for the purpose of bringing glory to God, and because Satan doesnt do that, he is not doing what he was created to do thus he is sent to hell.

Hell is the absence of God. Everything that God is, you will not find any of it in hell. Hell is what Christ experienced on the cross when God turned his face away. And hell is what awaits those who reject God in this life.

To the person who said there is no hell because God is a compassionate God: True, God is compassionate and loving. BUT God is also just. There is not one single person who doesn't deserve Gods retribution. Noone is worthy of God's love.

Would you like to sit in a courtroom with a judge who, whatever the charge may be (be it stealing a loaf of bread, or serial rape and murder), says "I'm a nice guy, i'll just let you go"? That's not justice. Would the families of the victims feel justice is done? Actions have consequences... Sin has a judgement awaiting it and justice would not be done if you got off scott free.

Christians aren't exempt from judgement. We have to give an account to God, and it will not be easy for us. But Christ has taken our condemnation on the cross, so we will not be condemned.

Well... thats enough from me... cya later

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
The concept of an anti-God was created by the Church in order to accuse people of conspiring with this anti-God (Satan).

That way, if anyone questioned the Church's power or wealth, they could be painted as one of Satan's followers and burned at the stake.

It was also useful in eradicating types of people that the Church was afraid of, such as free thinking women.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
there is this joke..but its actually real
it happened in like europe
anyway the church over there was so corrupt the preist was selling land in heaven
he was selling people however much land they wanted in heaven so that when they die they have land there
and ppl were stupid enough to believe it
so this preist dude was soo corrupt and getting rich of these silly people
and then this guy was like wtf..is he doin..so he goes to him
'how much does it cost to buy hell?"
the preist is like "why would you want to buy hell for?"
he goes "well how much is it"..and the preist makes him an offer to buy the entire hell
so when these people were lining up to buy land in heaven
the guy goes to them' dont bother"
"i own hell and im not letting you in!"
haha..i laughed
then i was like..shit man thats realy sad..what lengths people would go to..like the preist and the people
but yeah..just a story

david88

HSC
leetom said:
The concept of an anti-God was created by the Church in order to accuse people of conspiring with this anti-God (Satan).

That way, if anyone questioned the Church's power or wealth, they could be painted as one of Satan's followers and burned at the stake.

It was also useful in eradicating types of people that the Church was afraid of, such as free thinking women.
Thats bullshit. Of course the devil exists you blasphemous ignoramus. Look at the world 9/11, war and poverty. You couldnt find the truth if it was shoved up your arse. In fact it might be a tight fit, there's a semi-trailer up there.

leetom

HSC
david88 said:
Thats bullshit. Of course the devil exists you blasphemous ignoramus. Look at the world 9/11, war and poverty. You couldnt find the truth if it was shoved up your arse. In fact it might be a tight fit, there's a semi-trailer up there.
9/11 was caused by religious extremists, war is a result of disagreement and poverty is a result of poor production and distribution of food.

'The devil' is not a factor in international relations.

I will not have anal sex with you. Your interest in my anus betrays Christianity. I know more about the religion than you do.

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
he's not interested in your arse......in fact..... nobody's interested in your arse leetom. The fact that you interepreted "You couldnt find the truth if it was shoved up your arse. In fact it might be a tight fit, there's a semi-trailer up there." as David88 wanting to have anal sex is rather suspicious....

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
doesnt every religon believe ina source of evil
call it the devil or satan or whatever
so why would christianity make it up
when he already exists in every religon
as far as i know

leetom

HSC
The devil doesn't exist in every religion. The devil is a concoction of Christianity, though I imagine other religions to believe in the presense of evil, even if it doesn't take the shape of some guy living in the underworld.

leetom

HSC
llamalope said:
I had a dream that Bob Carr WAS the devil....scary stuff.

I believe the devil exists for the same reasons as david88. I think you just have to look around you to see that there is evil in this world.
Global problems can be attributed always to the failures and poor decisions of political/military parties. This is the truth. It is undeniable. You can claim the devil controls these people if you want, which I don't mind (and don't believe), as long as you acknowledge the world's problems are a result of the poor decisions made by PEOPLE.

If people are to blame, than the problems can be resolved. If you just blame it on some mytholigical beast, than nothing will be fixed, unless we mount a worldwide search for the devil.

Last edited:

david88

HSC
leetom said:
9/11 was caused by religious extremists, war is a result of disagreement and poverty is a result of poor production and distribution of food.

'The devil' is not a factor in international relations.

I will not have anal sex with you. Your interest in my anus betrays Christianity. I know more about the religion than you do.
Your a bloody outright idiot. The devil is sly and he takes over people like you. The devil enters in many forms and probably gave you the half a brain in your head right now.Sayance devil worshipper. Your stupidity is absolutely beyond comprehension.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
leetom said:
The devil doesn't exist in every religion. The devil is a concoction of Christianity, though I imagine other religions to believe in the presense of evil, even if it doesn't take the shape of some guy living in the underworld.
so ur saying christians believe the devil is the red man living underworld with his pitchfork?

leetom

HSC
david88 said:
Your a bloody outright idiot. The devil is sly and he takes over people like you. The devil enters in many forms and probably gave you the half a brain in your head right now.Sayance devil worshipper. Your stupidity is absolutely beyond comprehension.
Bahahaha GRAMMAR!

See, you're trying to paint me as some sort of devil-agent. You have to get over it, that's like so Salem 1600's. It's not going to work. You shame Christianity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)