Does the HSC determine how smart you are. Discuss. (1 Viewer)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
If you rote learn, then how would one get full marks in a 7 or 8 marker chemistry extended response question?
By rote learning I mean the inevitable stuff that you must memorise which has nothing to do with the explanations.

I got 7/7 without writing over the lines for the semi and super conductor question, though that answer had no use to rote in it (saying that something benefits society or the environment is not rote learning because its just common sense that something can be more efficient, or less harmful, or time saving, etc).

However, there was some random question about Einstein which I struggled with as it suited the rote learner (was about history of what Einstein did and how he helped quantum theory).

I had no clue originally and just wrote whatever knowledge I had of what Einstein did based on stuff I understood. Got 4/6.

The photocell question I got 5/5, because there is simply no rote to it at all and I answered the question in a knowledgeable manner. I even added examples in there that basically indicated to the marker that I knew about control systems and knew all about how photocells can be used irl.

wat
you can rote learn your way through hsc and know how to answer questions well enough to get full marks in 7 or 8 markers
For sciences it depends on the question. Some things you may need to rote. Some things you can't rote.

I'd dare say ''all''.

6/7/8 markers in HSC sciences are never calculations but rather ''assess'' or ''evaluate'' type questions.
^^^

Those questions can vary from pure rote, to in depth explanation of something (like the photocell question). Sometimes its a mix of each.

So I'm guessing the 6/7/8 markers is one of those instances where you have to rote learn responses.
Not all the time. Depends on the question. Though inevitably there are some things you must rote which are tiny details that have nothing to do with understanding.

Rote learning is a necessary learning tool - it becomes an issue when you try rote learning things which need a deeper understanding.
This^^^

Some things require rote just for a specific exam. However, the in depth content, which is exactly what the aim of the course is in the first place, is the stuff you must understand. You can rote HSC science, but its not great at all, considering that once you get to uni, you'll come across problems given that the HSC was there to give some understanding.

I fail to see how this is science.
Well, a perfectly natural thing as maybe a civil engineer would be to indeed look at the risk factors and stuff.

However, in that case, usually you would have to write a report and then have a panel review what the best approach is towards something.

So as an EE, assessing the impact of superconductors on society is important, as it emerges how much better the superconductors are.

However, there must also be an assessment made as to the cost of R&D into the implementation, cost of the actual infrastructure, etc, will determine whether the benefits outweigh the costs.

In fact its things like this which must happen before projects are made.

For example, a project to fix up a road must be approved first. Most of that approval is actually seeing whether its worth the time, and if there is an alternative route for cars to use temporarily during road works.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
do u think I can state rank if I continue with the same work ethic and results i got this year?
i dont even know your work ethic lol
and state ranks are unpredictable
you can have a chance but you never know how these things play in your favour

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)