Does the HSC determine how smart you are. Discuss. (1 Viewer)

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Hi,

My friends and I were discussing today at school about this. One of my friends (she's a top-notch debater) says that the HSC is a measure of one's intelligence and if you do badly then you are dumb. I'm just curious to see other people's opinions thanks.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
No, it's more a matter of how much 'effort' you put in.

I've known people who are most probably smarter then me, to worse, and people who are stupider then me do better.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
And people who don't perform well under pressure, who do 'poorer' as a consequence, aren't necessarily 'stupid' or lacking in 'intelligence'

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Not really no.

Like intelligence may play a part into the effort to results ratio.

But you still need to put in the effort in the first place.

Take Hayabusaboston by example.

Had an apparent iq of a million.

Got 94 or something, which is less than people with average iqs who tried more and got a higher ATAR.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
No. Especially because everyone is doing different subjects, those with interests in a certain subject will be better than those that don't. Don't even get me started on English.
The HSC is not full proof at all, it's a temporary stance on where you may have been that year (you might be dragged down or up my your school). So fuck the HSC.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Nah. It's all about how well you can memorise someone elses essay for english, and how good at english you are for every other subject.

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
Definitely not, and anyone who think so is living in a shrouded reality. You can't even compare, some people do different subjects and have different strengths as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Before I replied to the thread name. Here is a reply to the OP:

Hi,

My friends and I were discussing today at school about this. One of my friends (she's a top-notch debater) says that the HSC is a measure of one's intelligence and if you do badly then you are dumb. I'm just curious to see other people's opinions thanks.
For a top notch debater the claim is as unintelligent as can be.

Hence why everyone questions Haya's iq claims.

cub3root

fight another day
HSC
Pretty much that's how people hailed me even though I told them personally if they tried harder they could have been in my shoes.
yeah ikr. School rank imo doesn't mean much to the top/upper students. My ATAR still was better than some selective school kids who were just average in their school. but as a whole people unfortunately do judge it

iStudent

HSC
Yes but only to an extent. Like, a person who got 99+ would surely be smarter than someone who got, for example, a 70...
That said, there are times where smart people got low atars and not so smart people got high atars.
Hence, to an extent.

Last edited:

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
From what i know from my uni and from my ruse mates who know ppl in unsw, ruse doesnt even have an extraordinary number of meddies
and just like that my perception of ruse shattered... Nah but my ex was from ruse and she's doing arts for her hscs so i wouldn't be surprised if they didnt follow societal and parental expectations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)